Wales v. Canada on Sportsnet

Metro

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Eh? This is weird. Usually they wouldn't put it on & then take it off, if they weren't going to show it they would never state they were to begin with.

This is actually becoming more common. They improved the formatting of their schedules but their accuracy has gotten worse. And there isn't even consistency between the soccer-specific schedules and the overall schedules, so sometimes you never know what you're going to get. Just recently the English First Division playoffs were posted but they have since been removed.

Everyone will be happy to know that, while Sportsnet does not have Wales vs. Canada, they do have the men's France vs. Brazil and women's Germany vs. World All-Stars FIFA Centennial celebration matches on May 20 and 22!

But this isn't over yet. I have a feeling Sportsnet will get Wales vs. Canada after all.

That would stink if they dont broadcast this match, especially as this is one I think they can win. Enthusiasm will be high with the fresh new start under Yallop, for players and fans alike.

With the recent TV success of the WWC and U19 WWC along with the increasing media coverage over all, I thought that RSN would want to keep the ball rolling with the men, especially with the yallop tenure at hand.

Mabey a massive email campaigne is neccisary[:o)]

As a Welshman living in Canada, I think this is f*cking useless boys I have to say. It's absolutely disgusting for not one of your national TV stations to show your national team playing the world game. This is ridiculous, and I for one am gutted.

Oh, and Jon Keeper.... "especially as this is one I think they can win". Cant see it happening mate! ;)

I hear you Arthur. It is absolutely disgusting and I'm sick of begging for scraps from Sportsnet. If they show Brazil v France, that'll be it. I'll stop watching anything but Canadian soccer on sportsnet. I'm fed up. And I'm amazed at how foolish they are. I mean Wales isn't the most glamourous of opponents, but jesus they have a fair number of players people have heard of. For a station that shows ManU 45 times a year, you'd think they'd be interested in showing Ryan Giggs. This is the ideal game to get the World Cup coverage going. Get people familiar with the national team, etc.

Anyway I think someone in Wales is willing to send me a DivX of the game. We'll figure out a way of passing it along, we always do, but this is ridiculous. I was excited about this game and I still am, but not being able to see it live is really disappointing.

It's no wonder we don't have casual fans. When TSN owned the rights and I was younger, I wasn't able to search out results like you can now. If it wasn't televised it almost seemed like it didn't happen. Maybe those days are gone, but if there's other 12-13 yo who are like I used to be, there's not much Canadian soccer going on these days. It's not like we play a friendly every month. It's more like once every five months.

cheers,

matthew

Funny thing.

You can get a Golf Network on digital, but your hard pressed to get BBC, or Skysports without a dish.

Might still get the match. Have faith and cross those fingers and toes.

P.S. And yeah, there are a few big enough names to draw a crowd I'd say, so go figure. It's not as though this friendly will cut into prime time or anything. And if Bad Wales shows up, we win. Good Wales shows, we loose. Who can say which will it be?

Guest Dave

so when will we know if one of the British TV networks will cover this? I could then set about looking for someone locally with a dish who could perhaps tape it.

oh yeah, SPORTSNET SUCKS!!!

Guest Dave

so when will we know if one of the British TV networks will cover this? I could then set about looking for someone locally with a dish who could perhaps tape it.

oh yeah, SPORTSNET SUCKS!!!

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Hey Cheetah,

Any place in Winnipeg we can get the game, if Sky does show it ?

Going to do a little sniffing around this long weekend. Might be able to hunt something up. Gotta get some more imfo. 1st on the UK broadcast.

Guest Can. in UK

This site is quite handy... it says that the game will be shown on BBC2 Wales...

http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/FT_E04.html

There may be more broadcast announcements as the game approaches, though.

It doesn't seem as though Sky will be showing the game. They have lined up Trinidad & Tobago v. Scotland and the classic Iceland v. Japan.

I , REALLY, REALLY , can't understand the thinking behind showing Brazil v France over a Canada game .

Give me the names of the advertisers that said : "We'll pay for two foriegn teams over own " So , I can boycott them :(

Guest Dave

I'm starting to seriously doubt whether BBC 2 Wales is readily available via a grey market dish. It certainly doesn't appear to be available online.

Moving down the food chain, hopefully we can get some live internet radio coverage. Does anyone out there have an idea of which radio stations are likely to cover the game?

Oh and by the way, SPORTSNET SUCKS!!!

Dave,

BBC Radio wales will definately broadcast the match live, as will BBC radio Cymru, but that will be in the Welsh language, so not much use for you unless youre a bit speedy with the online translator!.

Its unlikely BBC wales is available through a grey market dish, even though it's available through SKY satellite in the UK, and not just a terresterial broadcast.

Just cause Im so f*cked off with this, I'll say it again!, I cant find the words to describe the disgust that I feel for a Country's TV network that doesnt show IT'S national team play the world game, no matter who the opposition is. I know you have your own games over here, and quite a few of them, but still. Its only an hour and a half for f*cks sakes!.

We all feel the same way Arthur. Excpet that we might be a bit jaded in our hatred and disgust because we are unfortunately so used to it by now. It should be noted however, that we don't always have our own games over here. We haven't had any matches in Canada for the men's national team in 4 years and the drought is only being broken due to World Cup qualifying. A disgrace, but try as they might they aren't going to stop us from cheering for our team & our country.

Guest Dave

Arthur,

I did a quick look at the BBC radio site, but couldn't find anything on BBC Radio Wales. If as you say, BBC Radio Wales will cover the game, the question becomes, "Is it available over the internet?" Obviously the "generic" version of BBC radio is available online, but what about the Welsh version?

G-L I think Arthur meant that 'we have our own games' ie there are a lot of North American sports that SNet has to dedicate itself too, but that's still no excuse. I'm assuming that's what he meant.

Yeah Sportsnet shows a lot of games, but they are exclusive rights holders. They're supposed to. I like to think I'm rational. I understand not the likes of Libya, Estonia, even the Czech game. But here there is an English language broadcast from the BBC. They show FA Cup games from the BBC. There's no reason they can't do this.

But instead they show France/Brazil. Sure the pbp team has gotten better since the days when Gerry Dobson thought matches lasted 80 minutes. But their misguided priorities (they'll send Gerry to England to do numerous feature interviews to tell us that Canadians like it in England, but they won't show U17 or Olympic qualifying in Canada. They'll send him to Florida to cover a camp, but they can't afford to buy the rights to the U20 WYC) and their shoddy production (missing the first half against Haiti in 2000, showing the bloody final score on the bottom of the screen early in the Finland game) has got me at wits ends.

I do watch Snet a fair bit. Junior hockey, NHL, occasional basebally, lots of EPL and SoccerCentral, but I'm sick of this. I support people who support the national team. I bank at CIBC, I have a JVC VCR, I believe in putting my money into companies that support things I believe in.

I'm sick of this and I hope they go bankrupt so we can get back to TSN.

cheers,

matthew

Archived