Wales v. Canada on Sportsnet

Metro

According to Sportsnet's soccer schedule at sportsnet.ca, they will be televising the match May 30, at 9:30 am. For some reason, it doesn't state that Sportsnet Ontario will be showing it (the other 3 regions will), but I'm sure that'll change. (Hazel Mae isn't that important in Ontario, is she?[8D])

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Metro

According to Sportsnet's soccer schedule at sportsnet.ca, they will be televising the match May 30, at 9:30 am. For some reason, it doesn't state that Sportsnet Ontario will be showing it (the other 3 regions will), but I'm sure that'll change. (Hazel Mae isn't that important in Ontario, is she?[8D])

When the U-20 game vs. Spain was on it wasn't in the Ontario Region schedule, but it was still on. I'm not too worried.

Wonderful!!! Outstanding!

Can't say as I'm surprised either. Well done.

Anyone think Sportsnet anticipating Canada making a run at qualifying for the WC? They're grooming an audience lads, their grooming an audience.

And don't let anyone tell you 8:30 am on a Sunday is too early for a lager or four. Hair of the dog:)!

(Do have to admit that there have been Sunday mornings where cannoning back a Moosehead after each Canada goal (even if it is just one) just wasn't going to happen[xx(]).

You're right, they don't. Without thinking, I automatically assumed May 30 was a Wednesday. So, no need to worry Hazel fans;).

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Excellent, well done Sportsnet. Now the question is 7:30 a.m., do I stay up or get some sleep. They don't show Hazel Mae on the weekends do they?

cheers,

matthew

Guest Dave

You're right Alberto, no sign of coverage of Canada v. Wales. I wonder if the sportsnet programming geniuses decided that showing this in addition to the U19 women's CONCACAF tournament would be "too much" soccer? If they have decided that women's soccer is more important than men's soccer based solely on the typical sports fan's desire for a "winner", then I'm not really surprised. Typical shortsighted North American media. I've gone ahead and (politely) emailed my comments to sportsnet, not that I expect a response or anything. Any idea as to alternative coverage? Satellite, webcast from a Welsh site, anything?

Eh? This is weird. Usually they wouldn't put it on & then take it off, if they weren't going to show it they would never state they were to begin with. Dave, in your email did you ask them to clarify what was going on? I'll be interested in their response.

Guest Dave

I didn't specifically ask why they did this or what was going on, just stated my disappointment at this programming decision, and tried to explain why women's and men's soccer should not have to compete for limited coverage.

Why don't you (and others) email them as well (politely if possible).

quote:Originally posted by Dave

You're right Alberto, no sign of coverage of Canada v. Wales. I wonder if the sportsnet programming geniuses decided that showing this in addition to the U19 women's CONCACAF tournament would be "too much" soccer? If they have decided that women's soccer is more important than men's soccer based solely on the typical sports fan's desire for a "winner", then I'm not really surprised. Typical shortsighted North American media. I've gone ahead and (politely) emailed my comments to sportsnet, not that I expect a response or anything. Any idea as to alternative coverage? Satellite, webcast from a Welsh site, anything?

My name is Jumping and I am To Conclusions. [:o)]

Here is the new guy you can send thoughts to:

The Canadian Soccer Association - l'Association canadienne de soccer

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CANADIAN SOCCER ASSOCIATION APPOINTS NEW MANAGING DIRECTOR OF SOCCER CANADA PROPERTIES

Chris Collie brings 13-year marketing background, passion for soccer to position

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association, in partnership with IMG Canada, announced today the appointment of Chris Collie as the Managing Director of Soccer Canada Properties, the marketing arm responsible for the Association’s television distribution, corporate partnerships and promotional exposure.

Collie joins Soccer Canada Properties after a 13-year career in strategic marketing and promotions with Canadian Tire, and brings with him an extensive background in soccer gained with the University of Toronto varsity soccer team (1986-90), where he was a member of the school’s only national championship team and captain in his final year. Collie graduated from U of T with a degree in commerce and economics in 1990. In addition to his soccer experience at the university level, Collie played at both the National Soccer League youth and senior levels.

“Soccer’s popularity in Canada continues to soar and we’re excited about the opportunities in front of us to promote the game, both to the fans and to corporate Canada” said Canadian Soccer Association Chief Operating Officer Kevan Pipe. “The addition of Chris, with his marketing talents and passion for soccer, certainly strengthens our team.”

Soccer Canada enjoys a number of strong promotional partnerships, which recently included the addition of CIBC as the Association’s premier sponsor. The financial institution supports many aspects of the CSA and its national team and grass-roots programs, including the Tide Mini Soccer Festivals, which continues to be the largest and most effective national grassroots program in Canadian sport with over 200,000 participating players last year.

“I couldn’t be more excited about the opportunity to contribute to the growth of the sport I love,” said Chris Collie, who was an active member of a volunteer committee that planned and developed a new community sports field complex for the Town of Ajax. “Many people wait a lifetime for a chance to apply their professional background to something they are passionate about personally. Soccer Canada, and its properties, are poised to take the sport to the next level in Canada and I look forward to being a part of it.”

During Collie’s 13-year career with Canadian Tire, he was responsible for the development of consumer goods sales and marketing strategies for the retail chain’s 450 stores across the country.

"Soccer's importance to the Canadian sports landscape continues to grow at an incredible rate, and the corporate community has turned to soccer as a valuable addition to their communications mix,” said Kevin Albrecht, Senior Vice President of IMG Canada. "Soccer Canada Properties is at the forefront of the soccer revolution in this country and will continue to provide marketers with leading edge sponsorship programs that directly impact soccer players and their parents.

CSA Communications Department

Phone: (613) 237-7678 ext. 242

Dave Haggith

Director, Communications

IMG Canada

Tel: (416) 960-5312 ext. 123

dhaggith@imgworld.com

I have some un-kind words then for the person that's running their website who got all of our hopes up.

Should I read anything into "did not get the rights" instead "could not get the rights"?

I guess we have to look for sattelite possibilities. It would be bloody well nice to actually see what the hell our team looks like before they start qualifying, and this is basically our last chance. Thankfully I live within 2 and a half hours of our first home game in 4 years to I can take matters into my own hands rather than having to rely on Sporstnet.

Unbelievable.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I have some un-kind words then for the person that's running their website who got all of our hopes up.

Should I read anything into "did not get the rights" instead "could not get the rights"?

I guess we have to look for sattelite possibilities. It would be bloody well nice to actually see what the hell our team looks like before they start qualifying, and this is basically our last chance. Thankfully I live within 2 and a half hours of our first home game in 4 years to I can take matters into my own hands rather than having to rely on Sporstnet.

Unbelievable.

With growing number of MNT games that are not televised these days, one has to wonder what it will be like when WCQ kicks off. If its too difficult or cost prohibitive to broadcast games that are shown by british feeds, then what will it be like when games are played in Honduras, Costa Rica or Guatemala? I cannot imagine it being any easier or a better draw considering that the national sides from the british Iles have quite a following in Canada.

If RSN denies us the viewing pleasure of WCQ games, then they will have definitely sunk to the same quality ( if not lower) than what we had prior to the time they acquired the rights.

quote:Originally posted by knibbyson

I just got this response from sportsnet regarding the Welsh Match:

Unfortunately we did not get the rights to this match. Sorry.

So does this mean that another network may have or could have

the rights? Fox Sportsworld Canada? Can we lobby them?

BBC, ITV, or Sky would have the UK rights ... so if we pressure/lobby

FSWC for more Canadian content, can this be a possibility? (They covered Canada's Gold Cup 02 first match and the Canada-US friendly.)

Wonder what Gerry Dobson has to say ...

quote:Originally posted by knibbyson

I just got this response from sportsnet regarding the Welsh Match:

Unfortunately we did not get the rights to this match. Sorry.

So does this mean that another network may have or could have

the rights? Fox Sportsworld Canada? Can we lobby them?

BBC, ITV, or Sky would have the UK rights ... so if we pressure/lobby

FSWC for more Canadian content, can this be a possibility? (They covered Canada's Gold Cup 02 first match and the Canada-US friendly.)

Wonder what Gerry Dobson has to say ...

Now, I know that Sportsnet has some sort of first option exclusive on CSA-sponsored games, namely international matches, but what if somebody else is picking up the game? Wishful thinking? I would assume so, but maybe Fox Sports World or somebody else--who??--has grabbed the rights.

This is a right piss-off!! Time for the CSA to renegotiate their deal with SportsNOT.

Now, I know that Sportsnet has some sort of first option exclusive on CSA-sponsored games, namely international matches, but what if somebody else is picking up the game? Wishful thinking? I would assume so, but maybe Fox Sports World or somebody else--who??--has grabbed the rights.

This is a right piss-off!! Time for the CSA to renegotiate their deal with SportsNOT.

Archived