Canadians abroad: April 16-22, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Saturday, April 17

10:00 AM on FSWC — England: Premier League

Chelsea vs. Everton (Tomasz Radzinski)

1:45 PM on ExpressVu 403 — Portugal: Super Liga

Braga vs. Benfica (Fernando Aguiar)

7:30 PM on FSWC — United States: MLS

New England (Felix Brillant Jr.) vs. San Jose (Dwayne de Rosario, Pat Onstad)

Sunday, April 18

11:30 AM on FSWC — Germany: Bundesliga

Werder Bremen (Paul Stalteri) vs. Hannover (Julian de Guzman)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for April 16-22, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Originally posted on the other forum by Ed - Apr 16, 2004, 1:10 PM</u>

Today, Jahn Regensburg host Rot-Weiss Oberhausen in the Bundesliga 2. Looks like Tam Nsaliwa will be on the bench for this game. A home win could prove to be what is needed to keep Regensburg in the Bundesliga 2 this season.

Also today, Nik Ledgerwood will be with the 1860 Muenchen amateur side as they host the 1.FC Nuernburg amateurs in the Oberliga Bayern.

Tomorrow, the Junioren-Bundesliga is back in action and Hertha BSC Berlin's U19s (hopefully with Jeremy Shepherd) will be visiting FC. St. Pauli in Hamburg.

On Sunday, 1. FC Kaiserslautern, with two young Cdns, Jamie Peters and Dylan Hughes, will be hosting Kickers Offenbach in the South/Southwest division. Belated congrats to Jamie Peters for his first goal in Germany as he scored on the half hour mark to put Kaiserslautern on the board against Stuttgarter Kickers on the 4 April.

On Sunday, the big game sees Hannover 96 visiting league leaders Werder Bremen (on FSWC). Paul Stalteri will certainly start for Werder Bremen while there is a good chance that Julian de Guzman will start in the midfield. If not, look for him to be a 2nd half substitute in an attacking midfield role.

Originally posted on the other forum by Ed - Apr 16, 2004, 3:44 PM</u>

Tam did not see the pitch in Jahn Regensburg's 1-1 draw at home vs RW Oberhausen. The draw leaves the team in 11th place in the Bundesliga 2 but still only 4 points out of the relegation zone (teams in spots 15 through 18).

Nik Ledgerwood also remained on the bench as his 1860 Muenchen amateurs went ahead 1-0 but then gave up 3 second half goals in a 3-1 loss to 1.FC Nuernburg this afternoon in Oberliga Bayern play.

Wigan and Palace draw at 1-1. deVos plays 90 and picks up a yellow, while his teammates pick up two reds in injury time.

Derby County beating Preston 5-1 with minutes left. Pesch plays 90 but surprisingly doesn't get any of the goals.

Both important matches for promotion/relegation.

Radzinski plays about 78 minutes in an almost purely-defensive role in his own half - despite still playing "striker" as Everton get a 0-0 draw against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Everton weren't playing for the win at all. Perhaps one reason why Radzinski is looking forward to playing for Canada in the coming months is the chance to actually play with a midfield, which is not the case at Everton.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Radzinski plays about 78 minutes in an almost purely-defensive role in his own half - despite still playing "striker" as Everton get a 0-0 draw against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Everton weren't playing for the win at all. Perhaps one reason why Radzinski is looking forward to playing for Canada in the coming months is the chance to actually play with a midfield, which is not the case at Everton.

I saw the game today and I totally agree. I was actually excited to see Everton finally play with 3 forwards when I saw the way the line up was layed out on TV. It was too good to be true....Radz and McFadden played as defensive wings and Rooney alone up front.

I can`t wait until Canada begins its run to the WC with the Rad man up front!.

Should be mentioned that Bayern Munich lost 2-0 to Dortmund today. Despite this match featuring no Canadians (at least in my opinion) the Bayern loss has a huge effect on Stalteri's ambition to become the first Canadian national team player to win the German championship. If Bremen beats Hannover tomorrow in the Canadian players derby they would be 10 points ahead of Bayern with only 5 games left and thus be close to clinching the title.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Hume subbed on at 83rd minute as Tranmere routed Bournemouth 5-1. The late substitution adds to the speculation that an unannounced transfer for Hume has been negotiated.

Perhaps this should be taken up in another thread, but I'll say it anyway...

I troll around the Tranmere board on rivals.net and the rumour has come up more than once that Iain has been sold to Southampton, for 750,000 pounds (I don't know how to do the symbol). The other club whose name also keeps popping up is Birmingham.

Dunfield was subbed out in the 63 minute of Bury's 2-1 loss to Yeovil.

McKenna seems to have a great game for Hearts today according to this article. Here is the link to the article because it contains two pictures of Kevin: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/3630505.stm

Hearts 1-1 Livingston

Kevin McKenna takes the plaudits after opening the scoring

A late goal from Colin McMenamin earned a point for Livingston at Tynecastle after Hearts had passed up several opportunities to win the game.

The home side were well on top for much of the match but had only a Kevin McKenna goal to show for their efforts.

McKenna struck in the 18th minute, pouncing on the ball inside the six-yard box to prod home.

But a Steven Pressley mistake let in McMenamin, whose cool finish made Hearts pay for their profligacy.

Hearts looked the more dangerous team from the outset.

Their first real chance came on nine minutes when Christophe Berra bulleted a header just over the crossbar from a Steven Boyack corner.

Alan Maybury was then allowed space to unleash a shot from the edge of the box that flew inches wide.

The breakthrough finally came on 18 minutes, when McKenna stabbed the ball home from inside the six-yard box after a Boyack corner took a slight touch off Berra.

McKenna gives Hearts the lead over Livingston

McKenna could have added to his tally twice before the break.

First he was denied by Livingston keeper Roddy McKenzie. Then Marvin Andrews cleared another effort off the line.

McKenna also had the first real chance of the second half.

He collected the ball just inside the 18-yard box only to see his shot fly wide after taking a deflection.

Berra also went close, heading just over from Boyack's cross.

Livingston stunned the home side by drawing level on 73 minutes, McKenzie's long clearance finding McMenamin, who shrugged off Pressley to fire home.

The visitors almost snatched victory when Lee Makel released David Fernandez.

But his superb run ended with Craig Gordon saving his shot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearts: Gordon, Webster, Pressley, Berra, Neilson, Kisnorbo, MacFarlane, Maybury, Kirk, McKenna, Boyack. Subs: Moilanen, Severin, Wyness, Weir, Hamill.

Livingston: McKenzie, McNamee, Andrews, Dorado, McAllister, McGovern, Makel, Lovell, McLaughlin, Fernandez, McMenamin. Subs: Creer, Snowdon, Brittain, Arthur, Walker.

Perhaps one reason why Radzinski is looking forward to playing for Canada in the coming months is the chance to actually play with a midfield, which is not the case at Everton.

:)

It's funny because it's true....

Don't know. Everton has been better I think of late. If Graveson's legs could keep going for more than 40 minutes,,,,

Would be nice for Toffee to play with the same striking partner for more than one match in a row, too.

P.S. Bremen and Hannover 10:30 central!!!! Hah! And I've got #2 & #3 nephews for an overnight. Man, are they in for a Sunday morning.

Ledgerwood seems to have played 90 in 1860 Munich's U-19's 2-1 win over their cross town rivals Bayern.

18.04.2004 1860 München - Bayern München 2:1 (1:1)

Aufstellung:

1860 München

Pentke

Escherich (69. Samwald), Brysch, Schmitt, Leicht

Ledgerwood, Eichler, Ziegenbein

Pickel (46. Berisha/63. Prechtl), Stöttner (88. Heidenfelder), Nöbel

Bayern München

Höcker

Rehm (64. Wagner), Stegmayer, Mauersberger, Niedermeier

Müller (78. Heidinger), Steinhöfer, Heinze, Ortiz

Semler, Thomik

Looks like Friend scored for Moss today. They were leading Haugesand 3-1 away. No word on the other 3 Canucks in that one.

DeGuzman looked OK on right wing for Hannover today. I only saw the first half. Sloppy. Hope the second half was better.

Sorry, jumped the gun. Friend scored two in a 4-2 Moss win. And, chalk up Occean's first for Odd Grenland in a 2-0 away win.

Nice to hear from Ed that Jamie Peters scored two for Kaiserslautern's U-19s. Quite a feat for a 16 year old fullback.

Kenny Stamatopoulos' Enköpings SK played their season opener in the swedish 1st division against Västra Frölunda, a 1-1 draw. Kenny in goal, but no mention about his play in the reports I've managed to find. Probably a good thing.

Sita-Taty Matondo did an unannounced appearence with Landskrona BoIS reserves last thursday, playing the last 30 minutes. Reported as one of few positive things in a boring 0-0 match, "technical and entertaining". Should also have played with the youth team saturday, I'll get back if a find anything about that match.

Atiba Hutchinson's Helsingborg is up against last years champions Djurgården tomorrow monday. In an interview with a fan-site Atiba shares the concerns about the team's performance (started with a draw and a defeat against two minor teams) and takes part of the blame himself. He calls the last game "absolutely one of my worst games since I came to Sweden". Hope Atiba and the team does better tomorrow.

Bremen vs. Hannover ends in a 0-0 draw, with both Canucks playing the full match as far as I can tell. From a neutral Canadian point of view not a bad result since Bremen move up another point on Bayern while Hannover get another point to help them evade relegation. I didn't see the match but the US fans on bigsoccer who did seem to be suitably impressed with De Guzman's performance in an offensive midfield role (and the fact that he is starting to play such a role for his club really bodes well for Canada).

Bremen vs. Hannover ends in a 0-0 draw, with both Canucks playing the full match as far as I can tell. From a neutral Canadian point of view not a bad result since Bremen move up another point on Bayern while Hannover get another point to help them evade relegation. I didn't see the match but the US fans on bigsoccer who did seem to be suitably impressed with De Guzman's performance in an offensive midfield role (and the fact that he is starting to play such a role for his club really bodes well for Canada).

I watched the whole match and he played left mid, right mid and then finished up in the middle due to substitutions. Obviously that type of versatility is good for the nats and for JDG's career. He has a nice touch and is willing to help out defensively. I don't think he liked being a sub in the past few weeks and proved he could start and contribute in many different ways.

Oddly enough he and Stalteri nearly hooked up twice. :D Once on a JDG cross, Stalteri nearly put it in his own net and off a Stalteri turnover, JDG got his shot on net which was saved by the keeper. I'm glad they were looking for each other but maybe they should save it until the end of May. :D Oh, and for good measure Stalteri hacked down JDG once when they went head-to-head.

De Guzman looked very comfortable down that right wing. Looked comfortable everywhere, and yeah, he did cover a lot of field today. A surprise starter. Love that energy. Love that aggression. Bit heavy with the passing though, just couldn't seem to find the right weight.

The man has got to loose those white boots, though. Ugly.

Clint's an idiot. Wrong card to protest. Sort of sythes that tear ACLs. Getting dramatic over that just makes you look like a dink.

P.S. Ol' Diesel is gonna get his Champion's Medal! And full marks for it. A real part of that club, through and through. Was that a wing he had flapping away there accompanied by a "Fu'king Hell!!"? Wonderful stuff.

Canadians in Italy - April 18

[*]Serie C1: Teramo (Rocco Placentino) 3-2 Sora :(

Placentino was on the bench but did not get into the match. This win ensures that Teramo will not be relegated this season. (Meanwhile, Sora are only 1 point ahead of the relegation playout zone. Fingers crossed.)

[*]Serie D: Isola Liri (David Masciantonio) 0-0 Guidonia

Masciantonio was subbed into the match at the 81st minute.

[*]Promozione Puglia (7th tier): Lucera (Franco Lalli) 2-0 Molfetta

Lalli is away at the Canadian U20 team camp in Turkey.

Well, Bremen has about 4 hard games left in its last five matches, so the eight point cushion is not as good as one might think. The 10 point would have definitely been much more comfortable.

They play away to Bochum next week which is a tough fixture against the fifth place team. They play against Hamburg at home the week after which is also tough as Hamburg is about 8th. Then they make the trip to Munich which is a tough one as well. Their 2nd last match is at home against 4th place Leverkusen, before finishing off the season at Hasno Rostock which is a mid-table team along the lines of Hamburg.

Munic on the other hand has a derby against the other Munich team which isn't doing too hot, they face relegation zone Cologone, before facing off against Bremen and then another tough one in Stuttgart. Their last game is against mid-table Freiburg.

So this could be an interesting finish.

Archived