Canadians abroad: April 16-22, 2004

DJT

The match between Moss FK and Haugesund in the Norwegian First Division featured 4 Canadians on the field. I would expect this must be a first.

Friend scores two goals in the 4-2 win by Moss, and is named 'Man of the Match.' Bernier also plays 90 minutes for Moss. Poz left the field for Haugesund after 22 minutes, but Kojic plays the full match.

And congrats to 'Otto' for his first professional goal, in what is another strong game for Odd Grenland

On another note, Mark Rogers and Wycombe Wanderers have been demoted to the English Third Division.

Helsingborgs IF managed a 1-1 draw at home against last years swedish champions Djurgården in a tough and tight game. Atiba, playing 90 minutes in central midfield, did his best game for the team so far. Much better attacking play and the man behind a couple of dangerous situations in front of Djurgården's goal.

Canadian under-20 striker Elliott Godfrey scored four goals for Watford Reserves in the Herts Senior Cup Final against Boreham Wood.

0,,10400~170675,00.jpg

http://www.watfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400~515686,00.html

Some quotes from the match report:

-"Striker Elliott Godfrey was the Hornets' four-goal hero as Watford finally emerged 4-2 victors after a pulsating 120 minutes of end-to-end football".

-"...Godfrey whose sublime first touch set up a shooting chance. The first effort was blocked but rebounded kindly for the Canada Under-20 international who slotted the second attempt with aplomb."

-"...a low cross to Godfrey who finished instinctively - a sharp turn and a toe-poke home from eight yards out."

-"Godfrey bagged his fourth with the goal of the night a minute before half-time of extra-time. Fisken's lay-off found Norville who curled a ball round the defence from the corner of the box. Godfrey had read his strike partner's intentions perfectly and arrived ahead of his marker to clip home a sweet volley with the outside of his right foot."

-"After the game, manager Nigel Gibbs and four-goal hero Elliott Godfrey both spoke to watfordfc.com and those interviews will appear on WatfordWorld and WatfordFC.co.uk in text form today." [i will post them on here later....]

Sita-Taty Matondo scored once in Landskrona BoIS youth teams season opener against Jönköping Södra last saturday, a 6-0 win. He was also on the 16 player squad for the reserves match against Malmö FF:s reserves tonight. I haven't yet found out if he got any time (he was listed as a sub), but it's a good thing he keeps showing up with the reserves. That's an important step towards the first team.

I'm sad to say that Elliott Godfrey has been released from Watford, after five years of service with the club.

Good on him for going out with such a bang. Hopefully it will be a foot in the door to his next club.

You can listen to his audio interview here: http://world.watfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/asx/secureAsx.asp?path=%2F%5Fcache%2Fcannon%2FlatestNews%2F10400%2F355%2Fdefault%5Fmedia%2Easx

Interviewer: What a night. We can't go through all the chances, because we'd be here all night. It was a great game.

Elliott Godfrey: It was a great game. You know, the lads battled hard, and it was a tough game, Boreham Wood've done very well, and at their ground it was a good result.

I: What did [manager] Nige say at half-time, because it was one chance, one goal for them, and we just couldn't force it in.

EG: We know just how we've gotta keep playing and, you know, just stay confident and not get down cause we're 1-nil down, just everything will come, so carried on, just battled in, played some good stuff and got the goals we needed.

I: Little bit of sadness for you, you being told you're released and you wear that shirt with pride, didn't you?

EG: Ah definately, you know, it's probably gonna be my last game now, because the game tomorrow against Millwall, so probably the lads who don't play are playing that, so I won't play on Wednesday. So yeah, it was a good day for me, and I finished five years here with some good goals, I was happy.

I: You and Sam Swonnell sort of seemed best of mates, really, on the pitch, and you've probably been in the same year all the way through, haven't you?

EG: Yeah, we've been through together everything together, me and Sammy and I. Played in the Rezzies together for... for, I don't know how many years. It's good actually, we've come back for ...[mumble]... Chris somewhere else.

I: What do you think of the game overall, I mean it's an exciting match, wasn't it, for those who were here.

EG: Yeah, you know, the fans were good (laugh), they was all there, and the game was bit end to end as well, so it was an exciting game to play, it was a good game to play, didn't get nasty at all, it was good.

I: Peak of the goals, the last one?

EG: Yeah, definately, little alright for an outside of the foot finish. Could have taken Fisken's one 'ere off my face, I could say that one, but definately the last one will do. My best goal.

Guest Jeffery S.

I see neither Aguiar dressed for Benfica in their win over Sporting Braga, nor Kevin de Serpa for Penafiel, who won and are on track for promotion.

Especially wonder if Fernando had an accumulation of yellows or a knock, as if he were healthy he would certainly dress at least.

Archived