WOQ: Canada vs. Panama [R]

hamiltonfan

Canada beat Panama 6-0. I thought Canada could have played a lot better then they did, bad passing, giving the ball away ect.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20040228_175617_4928

Canada routs Panama at Olympic qualifier

This was the first time the two countries faced off in international play.

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (CP) -- Aysha Jamani scored four goals Saturday as Canada crushed Panama 6-0 in the CONCACAF Olympic women's soccer qualifying tournament.

Canada, which faces Costa Rica on Monday, has advanced to the second round of the regional competition. The Canadians defeated Jamaica 6-0 in their first game Thursday.

Later Saturday, Costa Rica played Jamaica.

Andrea Neil and Christine Latham scored one goal each.

The two countries had never played each other. Panama, ranked 52 places below Canada at No. 63 in the world, only made it into the tournament when Guatemala's Football Association was suspended by FIFA.

The eight-team qualifying tournament covers North and Central America and the Caribbean. Canada is in a pool with No. 46 Costa Rica, Panama, and No. 72 Jamaica.

The top two teams from each pool advance to play in crossover semifinals. The two tournament finalists qualify for Athens.

Group B features No.2 U.S., No. 30 Mexico, No. 40 Trinidad and Tobago and No. 44 Haiti.

It was a pretty brutal spectacle once again. Very disconcerting to see that even when Canada had time on the ball & tried to pass or cross they couldn't often do it. Continued sloppiness in play like this & they won't go to the Olympics. Jamani was really the only player to be encouraged about in today's match. Considering that most of the Panamanian team did not look even close to being athletes, had no organization whatsoever, couldn't even control or kick the ball properly, and the number of chances Canada squandered, a 6-0 scoreline is actually disappointing. I know people are going to say we won & that's all that matters, but realistically we can't look at it this way.

Anyone in favour in moving Pellerud to position of sole technical director, or head scout? The guy seems to be able to spot emerging talent, but I'm un-convinced he is making the best use of it.

quote:Anyone in favour in moving Pellerud to position of sole technical director, or head scout? The guy seems to be able to spot emerging talent, but I'm un-convinced he is making the best use of it.

In games like these, results are what matters. The game is against lowly opposition but the games matter. The motto is "just win baby".

In friendilies, we can quibble about style.

Pellerud gets the results unlike any Canadain manager - men's or women's. Obviously, it would be nice if Canada played stylishly and won; but style doesn't emerge overnight. Otherwise, it is called a fad.

Give it some time. Let the national team players actually grow into adulthood. Let the culture of the game actually permeate through all the levels of the game.

it's called patience. Suggesting moving out Pellerud is a ridiculous comment.

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1635

Women's World Cup Team

Saturday, February 28, 2004

Jamani Strikes In Canadian Rout Over Panama

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Women’s World Cup Team today defeated Panama 6-0 at the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Costa Rica. Canada’s second win in the tournament guarantees a spot in the semi-finals on Wednesday, March 3rd. Young 16-year old Aysha Jamani of Calgary led the rout with four goals.

In the 13th minute, Christine Latham beat Panamanian goalkeeper Monica Franco after receiving a chip from Andrea Neil for Canada’s first of the match.

Jamani in only her fifth appearance for Canada scored her first with an open net shot off a rebound in the 22nd minute.

Canada’s third came in the 25th minute, when Marie-Eve Nault sent the ball towards Panama’s net where Neil headed the ball into the left corner. Neil, in her 97th appearance for Canada is second only to Charmaine Hooper who is now at 112 caps.

On a cross by Nault, Jamani scored her second with an easy touch in the 51st minute.

Panama’s first real opportunity was stopped by defender Sharolta Nonen after Canadian goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc was caught far out from the net in the 57th minute.

Franco would leave an open net for Jamani’s third goal after blocking a shot by Latham in the 67th minute.

Jamani marked her fourth of the game in the 75th minute with a solo effort up the left side and an easy right footed finish.

Following a foul committed on Jamani in the penalty area in extra time, Melissa Tancredi was unable to add to Canada’s rout after a missed a penalty kick.

LeBlanc earned her 15th shutout for Canada.

On Friday, Mexico and the United States both earned semi-final berths with wins over Trinidad & Tobago and Haiti respectfully.

Canada will finish Group A play on Monday, March 1st against tournament host Costa Rica.

February 28, 2004 – CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying

Eladio Rosabal Cordero

San Jose, Costa Rica

Canada 6 (3)

Panama 0 (0)

Cautions: Canada-Morneau (63), Latham (83)

Goals: Canada – Latham (13); Jamani (22, 51, 67, 75); Neil (25)

Canada: 1-Karina Leblanc; 2-Christine Latham; 3-Carmelina Moscato; 5-Andrea Neil (4-Veronique Maranda, 63); 6-Sharolta Nonen; 8-Marie-Eve Nault; 10-Charmaine Hooper © (15-Kara Lang, 46); 11-Randee Hermus (7-Isabelle Morneau, 62); 13-Diana Matheson; 14-Aysha Jamani; 17-Melissa Tancredi; Head coach: Even Pellerud.

Subs not used: 9-Rhian Wilkinson; 12-Christine Sinclair; 16-Brittany Timko; 18-Tanya Dennis; 20-Taryn Swiatek; 22-Erin McLeod

Women’s Olympic Qualifying Results/Schedule

Wednesday, February 25

Mexico 5, Haiti 0

USA 7, Trinidad & Tobago 0

Thursday, February 26

Canada 6, Jamaica 0

Costa Rica 6, Panama 1

Friday, February 27

Mexico 8, T & T 1

USA 8, Haiti 0

Saturday, February 28

Canada 6, Panama 0

Costa Rica vs. Jamaica - Nacional (3:00 p.m. CT)

Sunday, February 29

Haiti vs. Trinidad & Tobago - Nacional (1:00 p.m. CT)

USA vs. Mexico - Nacional (3:00 p.m. CT)

Monday, March 1

Jamaica vs. Panama - Eladio Rosabal Cordero (6:00 p.m. CT)

Costa Rica vs. Canada - Eladio Rosabal Cordero (8:00 p.m. CT)

Wednesday, March 3

Semifinal #1 (A1 vs. B2) - Nacional (12:00 Noon CT)

Semifinal #2 (B1 vs. A2) - Nacional (2:30 p.m. CT)

Friday, March 5

Third - Place Eladio Rosabal Cordero (6:00 p.m. CT)

Final - Eladio Rosabal Cordero (8:00 p.m. CT)

CONCACAF Final Round Women’s Olympic Qualifying Standings

Group A

Team W L T PTS GF GA GD

CAN 2 0 0 6 12 0 +12

CRC 1 0 0 3 6 1 +5

PAN 1 1 0 0 1 12 -11

JAM 0 1 0 0 0 6 -6

Group B

Team W L T PTS GF GA GD

USA 2 0 0 6 15 0 +15

MEX 2 0 0 6 13 1 +12

HAI 0 2 0 0 0 13 -13

TRI 0 2 0 0 1 15 -14

Ugh. The way Latham plays makes me sick to my stomach. She can't finish, gets tired to quickly...I wanted her off and Sinclair on after the first 15 minutes. Thta Jamani looked good, but you think she would be a bit happier, at least smile, after scoring her first ever goal for Canada. The finishing goes for everyone though, it's really frustrustating. I just wished sometimes during the game, I could jump through the tv onto the pitch and smack one into the top corner...very frustrating.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Canada beat Panama 6-0. I thought Canada could have played a lot better then they did, bad passing, giving the ball away ect.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20040228_175617_4928

Canada routs Panama at Olympic qualifier

This was the first time the two countries faced off in international play.

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (CP) -- Aysha Jamani scored four goals Saturday as Canada crushed Panama 6-0 in the CONCACAF Olympic women's soccer qualifying tournament.

Canada, which faces Costa Rica on Monday, has advanced to the second round of the regional competition. The Canadians defeated Jamaica 6-0 in their first game Thursday.

Later Saturday, Costa Rica played Jamaica.

Andrea Neil and Christine Latham scored one goal each.

The two countries had never played each other. Panama, ranked 52 places below Canada at No. 63 in the world, only made it into the tournament when Guatemala's Football Association was suspended by FIFA.

The eight-team qualifying tournament covers North and Central America and the Caribbean. Canada is in a pool with No. 46 Costa Rica, Panama, and No. 72 Jamaica.

The top two teams from each pool advance to play in crossover semifinals. The two tournament finalists qualify for Athens.

Group B features No.2 U.S., No. 30 Mexico, No. 40 Trinidad and Tobago and No. 44 Haiti.

Many of the players on teams that make up canada's opponents in the region can barely even kick a ball. With the scores that we are seeing, its clear that the womens game is not taken seriously anywhere in Concacaf except in canada and the US. I wonder if the Mexican team is still comprised of american girls who still have Mexican ancestry; what a joke that is. Add to that the fact that canada is able to win without even showing the the slightest bit of any technical abilities or even tactical awareness and I am left wondering how there could be any doubt that Canada will qualify for Athens. There is no drama and by extension entertainment value in watch this.

With the Scott's tournament of hearts on at the same time as the Canada versus Jamaica game, I had completely forgoten about the soccer game. I caught two minutes or so of the so called soccer game while channell surfing between ends of the curling game. As it has been in the past two minutes of viewing was about all I could take. A total farce in terms of entertainment and from what the camera showed of the stands in the two minutes that I saw, I do not think anyone was watching live. I didn't see any spectators.

I don't know how anyone can watch this stuff. And worst part of it is that its on television. I am sure there must be better programming to show and you have to wonder how anyone can watch this over the high-quality, competive, drama of the national womens curling championship.

By the way, the two minutes that I watched of Canada - Jamaica consisted of the folowing:

a Jamaican defender in the near side line, kicked the ball out of bounds while whiffing on a simple kick that should have went forward. A subsequent throw in by canada resulted in the same jamaican defender getting the ball back ( the canadian player who received the throw in, just hoofed it back to her) in an unchallenged position facing a Canadian attacker who was ten metres in front of her. So what did she do?, she kicked out of bounds again. That was funny!!!. How could ayone watch this over the curling game?

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

Ugh. ... Thta Jamani looked good, but you think she would be a bit happier, at least smile, after scoring her first ever goal for Canada. ...

Thanks for the brilliant commentary. Can't wait for your debut in the broadcast booth.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

That is another ridiculous comment. Leave Kristina alone.

I wasn't aware I was bothering her. Quite the opposite, in fact, as I am essentially agreeing with her comments that were quoted in the paper as to why she left. The style of play has simply got to change if we want to be consistently challenging for the top, and the players will never learn to play another style if they never actually play one. After several years of seeing this style employed, even against incredibly weak opposition that we should be able to pass the ball around at will against, there is no evidence to suggest that the style will ever change, or that our players will ever learn to be a possession team. If you can point to some empirical evidence in this regard, please go ahead, I'm sure the many other "ridiculous" people on these boards who have been complaining about the Pellerud style for the past 3 years would like to see it.

Results against this type of competition, as Free Kick alluded to, don't mean a thing. The girls under-11 Winnie the Pooh Fan Club of Mid-Western Penetanguishine could have probably beaten that Panama team 6-0. Panama's team weren't athletes and they could barely kick the ball and most never came close to controlling it. We shouldn't be beating such teams in such an ugly fashion, we are afforded the opportunity to do it in style and we should have the capability of doing so. Had we played like that against any real team we would have lost, but Pellerud comes out in the paper the next day telling us what a great win it was for the team, when even Dobson & Stoumbos were spending the much of the telecast describing the Canadian play as sloppy.

And no, I don't seriously expect Pellerud to be replaced at all, in any of his capacities. I just can't help wonder aloud if we'd be better off with a coach that stressed the almighty word "possession".

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

I wonder why Panama and Jamaica have competitive men's teams and the women don't?

You can't compare the women's game with the men's game. It's like 2 totally different sports. The Canadian women team should beat on any day the Brazilian women team even if the game was in Brazil. Could you say the same thing about the men's????????

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The girls under-11 Winnie the Pooh Fan Club of Mid-Western Penetanguishine could have probably beaten that Panama team 6-0. Panama's team weren't athletes and they could barely kick the ball and most never came close to controlling it. We shouldn't be beating such teams in such an ugly fashion, we are afforded the opportunity to do it in style and we should have the capability of doing so.".

Thats kind of what I shake my head at. It should take the canadian team no more then 5 minutes of playing time for it to sink in that the opposition is just no where in the same universe. That why I say that the score is irrelevant. So when they are up 2-0, 3-0, or 4-0, why not just play "keep away" with the opposition and have some fun out there? Would that be so hard to do against this kind of opposition? . In doing so, you might even provide some entertainment value for paying customers or TV viewers. Furthermore, guess what? if they start playing this way they might even realize when the game is over that they have scored just as many or more goals than they currently score.

It looks to me that we may finally see soccer without bouncing balls forever as we progress towards better teams. Notice the Panama and Jamaican teams also playing bouncing balls as opposed to technical posssession style.The kick and run style is usually the lot of the worse teams but must Canada stoop to that level? Canada must help develop more technical skills, and they are there especially with the younger players (eg Jamani, Timko, Maranda, Moscato). If they keep practicing long balls without developing midfielders and encourage attackers to collide with defenders on airballs and play simple patterns that are 1-2 pass plays with only one vision- long ball to attacker , then unfortunately we will lose in the long run.Other teams only need to put two players on each attacker for example and we will have a rough time.Tonight 's game will be the real test since the talent of our players will only become evident on a world scale when their limits are pushed. But please can the Canadian team construct as the best teams do ----defense moves up to pass to midfield ---midfield looks at numerous options not just popping balls to attackers and for example they keep possession until best placed attacker can receive the ball and please please on the ground and not always from the air

I dont think M. Pellerud will change his style since he won a gold medal with it ( but that was back when the superior skill of today's top countries did not exist)so it is the players who must do it. However if the players are not encouraged to make short passes and out dribble opponents then the spectacle of beautiful soccer is gone and people will change channels. Unfortunately there a few lamborghini players that are held back in third gear playing the most primitive lowest level of style of soccer and yes we have black belts in that type of play but only yellow to blue belts in possession style, technical skills, complex play construction, use of midfield in a game.

Another observation count the number of times the ball is passed going bacwards to reconstruct a new play vs times ball is kicked far for nothing in front to goalie or no one in particular....The girls can only play what they p^ractice and I have seen a few and it is so frustrating this long ball approach....

I'll take issue with a number of comments here:

First off, we played moderately better against Panama as compared to our effort against Jamaica. Yes, by "moderately" I mean we may have shown some technical and tactical improvements here and there, an extra successful pass made, some decent dribbling displayed by Jamani and Matheson.

Secondly, I don't see the benefit nor the point nor the rhetorical advantage of comparing the Men's national program with that of the Women's. I hate it when Gerry and Helen do it, and I hate it when we do it here. Of course, this being a free country and an openish forum, I can't stop anyone from making these goofy comparisons...

Third: Let's remember, too, that the squad we played versus Panama is not our top line-up. Any line-up without Hooper and Sinclair for the full 90--or close to it--is not your top line-up. Still, we won with a fairly experimental line-up. So let's hold judgement on this team until we see our top line-up against Mexico and the US.

Fourth: Leblanc needs to check her tactics, roaming wildly outside of her 18 like she does. She nearly blew the pooch with an awful first touch. Swaitek plays with a modesty and focus that should earn her the top spot in goal. I am not convinced Leblanc is the best choice.

Fifth: Lay off of Latham. Yes, her touch is not quite where it was last summer, but just be patient. She is too strong on the ball, too heads-up, too deadly in the box to leave on the bench. Latham is a solid player--like the rest of the team, however, she is rusty as hell. Give her time.

Sixth: Lang is so out of shape and touch. I worry that she will get left off this team, or ride the pine, if she does not refine her small touches and passing. She is so wooden with her crosses. A 10 yard chip ends up sailing 30 before it rolls to touch. Players such as Jamani and Moscato and Matheson, among others in the wings, will whizz past her in development if she doesn't refine her game. She is a frickin ox for strength, that's for sure, but she needs to add dimesion to her game.

Seventh: Here is who I'd start against the Ticos tonight.

Swiatek

Dennis Nonen Morneau

Tancredi

Timko Moscato Neil Hooper

Sinclair Latham

I am not convinced of Hermus and like what I see of Morneau--when she is healthy. Moscato and Neil should plug up the middle--Neil in the air is awesome, Moscato on the ground is even better. Hooper on the left because she can actually kick with her left foot, and having her overlapping and supporting out wide would be a nice change. Same with Timko on the right. Of course, Pellerud will play 3 up front, so expect to see Hooper up with the Christine's instead.

I sense that this team is trying to add dimension to their game, but I will agree with most of you and say that it seems to be a long ways away yet. Here's hoping.

quote:Originally posted by Auger9

the US only beat mexico 2-0. Think we'll have any problems?

Yes, if we don't start to play a lot better than we have done thus far in this tournament. We had trouble last time against Mexico, with our advancement to the WC only coming due to two own goals.

Archived