OQ: Canada v. Honduras (R)

hamiltonfan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably just as well. Time to start concentrating on WCQ anyway. Qualifying for Olympics would have created conflicts re player availability.

Bite your tongue Dave! Nothing is over. Beat the Yanks, beat the Canaleros and then away we go. We always start slow before our greatest achievements.

WE BELIEVE

Or at least I still do.

Come on lads rally around the lads! No time for splitters!

cheers,

matthew

Hey don't get me wrong I'm always 100% behind our guys! I'm just trying to see the bright side of a major setback to our chances of qualifying.

Here's a pretty poorly written sumary, I asusme most of it is from AP:

ZAPOPAN, Mexico (AP-CP) Ñ Emil Martinez scored the only goal of the match as Honduras nipped Canada 1-0 Tuesday in a regional Olympic soccer qualifying tournament.

Martinez scored in the 57th minute Tuesday, giving the Central Americans a crucial win in the CONCACAF tournament for under-23 teams. Two of the eight teams will qualify for the Athens Olympics.

The loss is a huge blow for coach Bruce TwamleyÕs side. He said earlier this week that the Canadians needed at least a point against Honduras to give them a shot at finishing first in their pool.

Placing first in Pool A would help Canada avoid a probable semifinal meeting with Mexico, seen as the class of the field. The top two in each pool advance to cross-over semifinals, with the two finalists qualifying for Athens.

CanadaÕs next game is Thursday against the United States. The U.S. was to play Panama later Tuesday.

Honduras got its goal when Castro sent a pass across the front of the net to an unmarked Martinez, who drilled his shot goalkeeper Andrew Olivier of Montreal from about 12 metres.

Honduras had threatened two minutes earlier when Maynor Figueroa outraced a Canadian defender to a ball in the left corner and fired a pass to Clifford Laing, but Olivier made the save.

Walter Martinez missed a chance to add to HondurasÕ lead in the 79th minute when he sailed a penalty kick over the goal.

The first half was mostly uneventful. Olivier made a few stops on shots by Victor Bernardez and Alex Andino, while Canada barely entered the Honduran penalty area in the first half hour of play.

The Canadians did have a chance in the 33rd minute when a free kick from Tam Nsaliwa of Edmonton zipped over the Honduran net.

Honduras is seeking a second consecutive Olympics appearance. Canada failed to qualify for the Sydney Games in 2000.

Canada was without captain Chris Pozniak, a defender, and midfielder David Masciantonio, who were suspended for the game because of accumulation of yellow cards in the first round of qualifying.

Well that's disappointing. Not what I was hoping to see when I got home. I wish we could have created some chances, it sounds like (from the above report) a free kick was all we had to show for offense. I'm tired of reading reports like this, come on guys, get some offense going!

capt.gda10202040051.mexico_soccer_qualifying_gda102.jpg

Canada's Adam Braz, left, fights for the ball against Honduras' Jerry Palacios during their Pre-Olympic soccer match at the Jalisco Stadium Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2004, in Guadalajara City, Mexico. (AP Photo/Guillermo Arias)

capt.gdc10102040109.mexico_soccer_qualifying_gdc101.jpg

Canada's Rocco Placentino, standing, is fouled by Honduras' Wilson Palacios during their pre-Olympic soccer match celebrated at the Jalisco Stadium Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2004, in Guadalajara City, Mexico. (AP Photo/Claudio Cruz)

capt.gdc10202040120.mexico_soccer_qualifying_gdc102.jpg

Canada's Elliot Godfrey, right, fights for the ball with Honduras' Hendry Thomas during their pre-Olympic soccer match celebrated at the Jalisco Stadium Tuesday, Feb. 03, 2004, in Guadalajara City, Mexico. (AP Photo/Claudio Cruz)

capt.gdc10302040132.mexico_soccer_qualifying_gdc103.jpg

Canada's Atiba Hutchinson, left, fights for the ball with Honduras' Emil Martinez during their pre-Olympic soccer match at Jalisco Stadium Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2004, in Guadalajara City, Mexico. (AP Photo/Claudio Cruz)

capt.gdc10402040138.mexico_soccer_qualifyings_gdc104.jpg

Honduras' Emil Martinez celebrates after scoring a goal against Canada's team during a pre-Olympic soccer match celebrated at the Jalisco Stadium Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2004, in Guadalajara City, Mexico. (AP Photo/Claudio Cruz)

capt.gda10302040221.mexico_soccer_qualifyings_gda103.jpg

Canadian player Robert Friend, left, fights for the ball against Honduras' Victor Bernardez during their pre-Olympic soccer match at the Jalisco Stadium Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2004, in Guadalajara City, Mexico. Honduras defeated Canada 1-0. (AP Photo/Guillermo Arias)

I said it before after the U-20s and I will say it again now. It seems that we produce almost no offense without Hume. If you take away Hume, the U-20s would not have scored. And at this level, without Hume we have managed 1 goal in our last 3 matches against decent opposition. Its a bit worrying really that our offense seems to be so dependent on one person.

I realise that there are other factors such as the fact that Nsaliwa and De Guzman just joined the side, Pozniak was suspended, and Kluklowski, Canizales, and Dunfield are missing, but this was not the case against El Salvador in the last round.

Perhaps it may also be time for Twamley to move on.

As bad as a result as could have been. Ug.

And with De Guzman already on the plane to Europe, double Ug.

But you never know. Backs to the wall. Time for everyone to do their best. Now or never sort of thing. Sort of situation where of late we seem to be finding ourselves rather early on in these international tournys. And fairing quite well actualy.

I'm cynical though. Hoping for a best result against the Yanks but it just seems we're a little snake bit lately. The stories you read leading up to these tournys always seem to be bad news. This player can't make it. That player's got a knock. Somebodys wife has gone into labour a month early. I mean Geezus, how many players went out before and during the WWC?

There is one hell of a Canada voodoo doll out there somewhere and it must be looking like a hedgehog by now with all the darts stuck into it. When I find the Haitian bastard (deported no dought) who conjured it up I'm gonna kick his ass!!

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I said it before after the U-20s and I will say it again now. It seems that we produce almost no offense without Hume. If you take away Hume, the U-20s would not have scored. And at this level, without Hume we have managed 1 goal in our last 3 matches against decent opposition. Its a bit worrying really that our offense seems to be so dependent on one person.

I realise that there are other factors such as the fact that Nsaliwa and De Guzman just joined the side, Pozniak was suspended, and Kluklowski, Canizales, and Dunfield are missing, but this was not the case against El Salvador in the last round.

Perhaps it may also be time for Twamley to move on.

There are others in that U20 group who can score or more specifically that possess offensive talent. But it seems like it was that group that turned the corner for Canada and that was first evidenced as far back as the U17 qualifying tourny in St Louis three years ago. Prior to this time, Goal scoring and creative offensive talent had always been an achilles heel for Canada at all levels. Radzinski being the exception. Don't forget that this is a tournament of 21 and 22 year olds and we are going with what? eight ? under 20 players. That is quite a difference. The current crop of canadian 21 and 22 years olds have collectively had scoring woes going back to 2000-01.

Should Twamley go if they fail to qualify? Perhaps? but I have to admit that from the game reports that I am reading this team is looking pretty much the same way as it did under Paul James. At some point you will have to consider that.

Well the US beat Panama 4-3, which suggests that they can be scored upon (and they had a 3-0 lead at the half, with Panama tying it up & the US taking the lead again late in the match).

Poz will be back for the rest of the tourney, which will help back there. But obviously only hearing about 1 scoring chance off a free kick doesn't inspire offensive confidence.

A very disappointing result, wanted at least a tie here, even with all of the adverse circumstances affecting the team. However, its one which could be almost forgotten if we can rise up to beat the US, and I know the boys will up for that giving it there best shot.

Strange that there's been no separate report yet on the match from the CSA. I still don't know exactly who started, who was subbed, etc. Its difficult to comment or discuss a match when we barely know anything about it. With the lack of media coverage, both pre, during & post-game, even by the CSA, its like this whole qualifying tournament is being quietly swept under the carpet.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Strange that there's been no separate report yet on the match from the CSA. I still don't know exactly who started, who was subbed, etc. Its difficult to comment or discuss a match when we barely know anything about it. With the lack of media coverage, both pre, during & post-game, even by the CSA, its like this whole qualifying tournament is being quietly swept under the carpet.

I would add concacaf as well to that list. I find their site (Concacaf.com) quite dismal in delivering useful info about current and past matches in this region. I don't see any game summaries with scorers and sub etc nor do I see tables anywhere on that site. All I see on concacaf.com is the usual articles and announcements stating the obvious and basic info. Compare that, for instance, with what you see on Uefa.com.

Concacaf.com use to have links to past events or tournies but they seem to have disappeared

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

There are others in that U20 group who can score or more specifically that possess offensive talent. But it seems like it was that group that turned the corner for Canada and that was first evidenced as far back as the U17 qualifying tourny in St Louis three years ago. Prior to this time, Goal scoring and creative offensive talent had always been an achilles heel for Canada at all levels. Radzinski being the exception. Don't forget that this is a tournament of 21 and 22 year olds and we are going with what? eight ? under 20 players. That is quite a difference. The current crop of canadian 21 and 22 years olds have collectively had scoring woes going back to 2000-01.

Should Twamley go if they fail to qualify? Perhaps? but I have to admit that from the game reports that I am reading this team is looking pretty much the same way as it did under Paul James. At some point you will have to consider that.

Freekick. I unfortunately disagree. First, our U-17s relied heavily again on one individual to score and that was Belotte at the time. He rarely played in the U-20s this time around. Hume has been are only offensive force in this age group. With respect to the 21 and 22 year olds, it simply underlines my point that we have no real consistent scorers at this level (noting that Canizales is the only scorer in this age group missing and even he is not really an out and out striker).

Friend has not scored consistently for the U-20s or the Olympic team. Borsato has disappeared and Thompson is more of a defender. Matondo is not an out and out striker and again doesn't score consistently. Belotte, enough said about him. Godfrey and Lemire have not been consistent scorers either.

I think to deny that this is a problem is putting our head in the sand a bit. We still in my opinion are not developing the players that can score, and the only thing that may be a bit more worrying is the fact that in 90 minutes against Honduras it seems that our best chance to score was a 33 yard free kick. So perhaps the creativity in midfield is just as important.

Archived