OQ: Canada v. Honduras (R)

hamiltonfan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Well, unfortunately our lack of goals becomes a bit more understandable now that I've seen that Justin Thompson played the whole match up front, as I do not rate him very highly as a striker - I think he's better at the back. I am surprised that he would start ahead of Friend as the target man, as Friend has been a more prolific goal scorer at the club level (hardly surprising given that Thompson was playing as a defender for the Bury reserves before being dropped from the team & signing for Hornchurch in the Rymans League).

Lets go with Matondo up front against the US - his speed will cause that back line some trouble.

I'll repeat myself but I think that Olivier Occean should have been on that squad. The guy was drafted in the MLS third round, he must be good and he was a standout player at Southern Connecticut(same school where Olivieri started for 4 yrs) breaking the school record for goals.

Well, whether Canizalez is the only striker from the 21 to 23 year olds missing is debatable. We still have no definitive reason for his absence - injured, not made available by his club, or simply not selected? But there are two other strikers of note, Olivier Occean, who was recently the top striker drafted by the NY/NJ Metrostars, and Ali Ngon, who played up front with Hume when we beat this (largely the same) Honduras squad in 2001, and who I've seen play numerous times & believe could have helped this team if he had been selected.

There's also Felix Brilliant Jr., also drafted but I'm not sure if he is young enough to qualify for the team.

Overall, however, I would be more concerned if the scoring chances we created are as few as has been suggested in the one single report of the match we've seen (the other one with the line-up doesn't really say anything). Its difficult to say, based on so little evidence, and we have to keep in mind that things have been made more difficult by our (essentially) parachuting De Guzman in from Europe hours before the match to play with guys he has barely played with recently & just about never practiced with - the creativity of even the best creative midfielder in the world is going to suffer under those circumstances.

Overall, I don't think we can draw too many conclusions until the tourney is over, and like we did with the U20 tournament, we could soon be singing a different tune by the time this is all over. Lets hope we get better with every match like we did in that tourney.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Gian-Luca, I think the line up is listed in numerical order, and my not reflect where the players really played.

Well, perhaps Placentino was used as a striker with Thompson in the back four - that would make a bit more sense to me, and with Ademolu coming on for Placentino perhaps that is what happened. Again though, the lack of information is really making us take wild stabs in the dark when we try to guess on what actually happened.

I am not sure that I would want to read to much into the one reported scoring chance. The tone of the reports I've seen suggest that only the first half hour or so was written about in any depth. We'll have to see if the CSA comes up with anything.

loyola, the line posted at the start of the game had Thompson as a striker. It could be in error of course. If so, then we probably played only with one striker.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am not sure that I would want to read to much into the one reported scoring chance. The tone of the reports I've seen suggest that only the first half hour or so was written about in any depth. We'll have to see if the CSA comes up with anything.

It looks like the CSA have amended their summary.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1601

This one is a little more promising in that it mentions our boys applying pressure to the Hondurans. This one at least doesn't make it seem like we got run over.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

It looks like the CSA have amended their summary.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1601

This one is a little more promising in that it mentions our boys applying pressure to the Hondurans. This one at least doesn't make it seem like we got run over.

Mira Hombre. It is a shame that the CSA spends all this money sending a 'Media' person down to Honduras and it appears we can't get a half decent report from Canada's viewpoint.

Archived