Vote for the Canadian Goal of the Year

Gian-Luca

I thought it might be fun to do a number of these polls, starting with (since we aren't going to get any more this year) your favourite Canadian goal of 2003 (and there were quite a few of them). Breaking it up between the men & the women to simplify things a bit.

I've put down some suggestions, but feel free to suggest others. Criteria might be the quality of the goal itself, but you might also consider the relevative importance of the goal

Possibilities include:

Women:

1.Neil's 1st goal against Mexico, Friendly in Ottawa

2.Latham's goal vs. Japan, World Cup 1st round

3.Sinclair's goal vs. Japan, World Cup 1st round

4.Lang's goal vs. Japan, World Cup 1st round

5.Hooper's goal vs. China, World Cup Q-F

6.Lang's goal vs. Sweden, World Cup S-F

Men:

1.Stalteri's goal vs Libya (Feb. Friendly)

2.Canizalez's goal vs. Libya (Feb. Friendly)

3.McKenna's goal vs. Germany (June Friendly)

4.Stalteri's goal vs. Costa Rica (Gold Cup 1st round)

5.Radzinski's goal vs. Finland (Oct.Friendly)

6.De Rosario's goal vs. Finland (Oct.Friendly)

7.Radzinski's goal vs. Czech Republic (Nov.friendly)

8.Placentino's goal vs. El Salvador (Olympic qualifier)

9.Hume's goal vs. Czech Republis (U20 World Cup 1st round)

10.Simpson's goal vs. Burkina Faso (U20 World Cup 2nd round)

11.Hume's goal vs. Spain (U20 World Cup Q-F)

I included the Radzinski goal vs. the Czech's as I heard it was very impressive..... but I never saw it so I won't be voting for that one. But perhaps those who did would want to vote for it. I was tempted to put in De Vos's goal against Ireland that I have recently been persuased off-line should have counted after all (perhaps as Jonathan Pryce & Rowan Atkinson once said, "I'll explain later"), but since it wasn't allowed left it out.

For the women, I don't think you can beat Hooper's goal v. China at the WWC. Lang's goal v. Sweden may get good artisitc marks, but Hooper charging forward from a defensive position, getting ahead of everyone, yet staying onside and then heading the ball over the Chinese keeper for the game winner against a world super-power. It don't get much better than that.

On the men's side, I think Stalteri's goal v. Costa Rica deserves an honourable mention, but I think the dead heat is between Simpson and Hume. Despite the fact that both of them are still very fresh in my mind, I don't think I've seen two such quality goals in a long time from our Canadian squad. I can't really choose between them though.. is the beautiful first touch/bullet to the far post top corner that puts us farther than we've ever been worth more than than beautiful run/curling away screamer that evened us up against a world power and put us in a position to win? Who knows... I'm just glad we get to debate it ~! :D

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I included the Radzinski goal vs. the Czech's as I heard it was very impressive..... but I never saw it so I won't be voting for that one.

I vote for Hume`s goal against Spain. I can send you Radz goal against the Czech Rep. I recorded it with my digital camera, it came out pretty good!

Simpson> It's tough to beat Hume's (and I certainly screamed louder when it went in than any other goal this year), but Simpson's had a better build up and the finish was a little less thunderous, but absolutely perfectly places and he hit it a ton. And the Hume cross and then Simpson's first touch? The goal was pure class.

Lang v Sweden> elicited the best response/most joy and was a real screamer from distance. It's tainted a bit by the fact the keeper got a piece of it, but really she hit it so well I think it's our best from this year for the women.

cheers,

matthew

I haven't made up my mind yet (which is why I haven't voted yet) but some thoughts - while Hume's goal against Spain isn't the sort of goal you normally would see Canada score, neither were a lot of the others. Its speaks volumes to the changing style & quality of Canadian men's soccer. The Hume goal vs. the Czechs is another example - great through ball to Matondo (who was had run into a perfect spot), who crosses it Hume, who also timed his run perfectly, to tap it in easily. The sort of tic-tac-toe goal you never used to see from Canada. And the Canizalez goal against Libya, regardless of the competition, is another example of the type of goal we wouldn't have ever seen before.

As for Radzinski's goal against the Czech's, FZA if you can put a link to that (which will hopefully work for me) I'd certainly be interested in seeing it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

As for Radzinski's goal against the Czech's, FZA if you can put a link to that (which will hopefully work for me) I'd certainly be interested in seeing it.

I can`t put up a link for the video. That`s why I`d rather sent it to you by e-mail. It doesn`t weigh much, probably 100kb

Archived