mens coach

snake

I'm getting the impression it's been Colin Miller since before Holger got sacked. Everything seems to be adding up that way dosen't it?

First off, everyone was questioning the timing of a manager change and rightly so with WCQ coming up hard and fast. Thought to myself, "well, real qualifying won't start untell the autumn so don't sweat this first round". Fair enough right? And then I thought maybe Sharpe got caught a bit off guard, unprepared as it were for Holger's reaction. But that just dosen't sound like Mr. Sharpe at all and didn't add up to the accounts of the meeting we did hear about.

Secondly, Miller's been on the football manager's path for more than a few years now. Has to have a few contacts within the Canadian game and I'm guessing is part of that ol' boys club which dominated the Men's National Team for who knows how long. And oh yeah, he's got an accent.

Thirdly. I don't think it's a happy accident any of these friendlys and I'm including the Finland match as well. Players being informed that Holger was out before hand? Why and by who? Me thinks Mr. Miller was in on the scheme and knowing what was coming of course, got a few allies on side (or patsys) to make the move look better. All these friendlys against quality opponents BEFORE WCQ is a condition of employment worked out by Miller, Sharpe, and the CSA previous to the Holger-Sharpe Vancouver meeting. That the matchs are against quality opponents is a built in excuse for not getting a result. So long as there is something, anything in each of these contests to show hope for the future it'll be "Under Colin we've seen some things which show promise for the up coming WCQ" blah, blah, blah, we're keeping Mr. Miller on. No one expected us to win any of these matchs anyway so no harm in getting pounded.

And lastly...

A tight fisted CSA putting up moneys to sack a well paid manager? And then putting out the scratch to pay players to travel to three friendlys under a caretaker manager? I just don't see it. What do each of these friendlys cost? Hundred grand? Close to if not more. CSA put up $300k to see what the interm manager can do? Not bloody likely. See reasonings #3 above.

Just the confused thoughts of a rambling and cynical mind. All other applications are being given proper and due consideration before being shredded. Ug.

Quote from the Dallas News, concerning a certain anticipated vacancy at San Jose:

"Kinnear will probably be a top candidate in San Jose if Yallop takes over Canada's national team as expected."

My bet is also on Yallop getting the position, as soon as San Jose's season is over. I also expect Miller to remain as his assistant.

Holger's clash with the CSA and resignation happened on the weekend San Jose were in Vancouver to play the Whitecaps - too much coincidence.

quote:Originally posted by snake

during euro 2004 will canada have any concacaf qualifying for wc06?

Yes, the end of the Preliminary round, at least one of which is certain to be in Canada due to climate.

For details see: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headli...=279066&cc=5901

"In the proposal submitted to the international ruling body, the first round would have 10 groups of three teams and two groups of two, with the 12 winners advancing. The pairings will be determined during the World Cup draw on Dec. 5...

Under the schedule announced Tuesday, there would be six dates for first-round games: Jan. 17-18, Jan. 21, Feb. 18, March 31, June 12-13 and June 19-20, 2004.

Semifinal games would be played Aug. 18, Sept. 4-5, Sept. 8, Oct. 9-10, Oct. 13 and Nov. 17, 2004.

The final round would be played in 2005, with games on Feb. 9, March 26-27, March 30, June 4-5, June 8, Aug. 17, Sept. 3-4, Sept. 7, Oct. 8-9 and Oct. 12.

The fourth-place team in the final round would meet a nation from another region in a playoff Nov. 12 and 16, 2005."

Hopefully we would not get the January dates, which are not on the international calendar and for which we may not get some of our Euro players, but rather the February and March international dates, and the two dates in June.

it seems likely to me that the longer the CSA waits to annonce a new coach, the more likely it is that they want Yallop. It would be unprofessional to announce him as the new coach in the strech drive of the MLS season. dont you think? it is a shame though that he couldnt get his feet wet with these two friendlies as opposed to throwing him directly into the fire after christmas when the games really count. i am sure that if it was going to be someone else they probably would have announced it already, for that very reason.

There is arguably now less urgency to hire a coach as qualifying will begin for us in June rather than January. But if they still announce the new coach in November, he will have a lot more time to evaulate the players at our disposal (emphasis on "disposal" in some cases. :) )

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That's a pretty darn big "if". I'll be happy if we can get a draw with the line-ups we'll likely be fielding.

Would it be considered heresy to hope we lose both to ensure that Miller and the Old Boys club aren't put in permanant charge?

Everyone is talking about Yallop and Miller, but we apparently have at least 50 other applications for the job. Without knowing who's on that list, it's difficult to say that Yallop or Miller should or shouldn't get the job.

As for the delay in announcing the new coach, I'm sure it'll take a while to sort through all those applications. Even if some can be thrown out immediately, many others will have to be studied, interviewed, etc.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Would it be considered heresy to hope we lose both to ensure that Miller and the Old Boys club aren't put in permanant charge?

Even better, the CSA could fire Miller now and cancel the friendlies. That would eliminate the possibility of winning and save the CSA a bundle of money.

Archived