Burst on the scene looked potentially amazing
Went backwards, wasn't given opportunities and looked like he was going to get lost and fade into obscurity.
Got his chance, took it, has become amazing.
Crazy. What an experience you guys had!
Watching that video I realized a few things:
1. Is it wise for players to experience an intimidating atmosphere before the game?
2. 4 of the starting XI are not in today's 23 (Edgar, James, De Jong, Jakovic). 1 of the starting XI is barely in today's 23 (Akindele got subbed for Ricketts- crazy). And 2 of the starting XI are rotational today (Hutch/Larin).
3. I can't wait to go back to SPS with todays team and fućking win...(and by wait to go back, I don't mean myself )
Definitely getting some Deja Vu here! This debate does seem to keep coming back.
1. Football is the most popular sport in the world and the vast majority of the biggest football nations do not use play-offs to decide their champion. So, quite clearly, the no play-offs model works.
2. There is no reason that North American fans cannot embrace the "best league record" as the way to crown your league champion.
3. Every football match is a "meaningful" event in its own right, if you enjoy the beautiful game.
4. When you introduce play-offs you automatically devalue regular season matches. Without play-offs, every point counts. With play-offs, those points get chucked in the bin when the play-offs start.
5. With play-offs, all you do is move the line. With no play-offs, the line is immediately below the top team. Everybody is trying to get above the line into 1st place. If you don't appreciate a football match for its own sake you can say that the teams lower down have nothing to play for. But if you had, say, a 4 team play-off, then you draw the line beneath the 4th team and suddenly those near the top now have nothing to play for because they are already in. Play-offs or no play-offs, there is only one line and only a few teams are typically in the battle to climb above it.
6. Play-offs are effectively "cup football". So have a knock out competition IN ADDITION to the league and you get the best of both worlds! Crown your league champions based on points and ALSO have a Cup Final to end the season. Two trophies would be GOOD!