Match Thread: September 8, 2023 - Pacific v HFX Wanderers

narduch

Great game. In my ideal world these two teams are in the CPL final. Given the talent up top its not quite clicking for the wanderers but if it does before the end of the season..watch out.

Right call on the free kick not being inside the box. Not sure if it was offside still! 

Pleased for Wilson to get on the score board. He has lots of potential.

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

A point on the road and 250+ U21 minutes is a big deal.  Ridiculous penalty call once again but we absorbed so much pressure something was bound to happen.

Pretty proud of the squad we had out there tonight they did great given the circumstances.

When you take this Penalty call as well as the horrible one at the start of the season in Calgary that turned a win into a draw... we really should have 4 more points than we do. Kind of frustrating. 

10 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

Bizarre that Pacific has been playing so poorly but is still in second.

I don’t think we’ve been playing all that poorly. Our finishing has just completely dried up so results haven’t gone our way. 2/3 possession, triple the shots and chances last night. The surprising thing to me is how poor we’ve been on set pieces lately. That was a strength earlier in the year. We had 8 corners and a bunch of free kick around goal yesterday and none of them were very dangerous. Then Yeates totally lost his mark for the Halifax goal

5 hours ago, Copes said:

When you take this Penalty call as well as the horrible one at the start of the season in Calgary that turned a win into a draw... we really should have 4 more points than we do. Kind of frustrating. 

There’s been so many bad calls all over the place this season I keep telling myself it’s all evening out… but I haven’t crunched the numbers haha.

12 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Even after watching the replay I’m confused by what the uproar is with the penalty call. Are there claims that he got the ball first?

He definitely caught him but it didn’t look like there was an angle that showed it wasn’t ball first.  He barely deflected the ball though, perhaps hard to tell for the ref.  If anything I think that ref needs to learn to take a deep breath and then make a decision, he seems to be pretty knee jerk in his style.

He’s had some other questionable moments in other games this year.

Either way, I just accept it all now and smile (or cry)… I’m hoping all the bad calls just balance themselves out haha.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

The surprising thing to me is how poor we’ve been on set pieces lately. That was a strength earlier in the year. We had 8 corners and a bunch of free kick around goal yesterday and none of them were very dangerous. Then Yeates totally lost his mark for the Halifax goal

Agreed on the attacking set pieces, Pacific had even more corners last week so it's surprising that they haven't generated anything from all these opportunities.