Match Thread: July 1, 2023 - Valour v Cavalry

22 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It must be frustrating, especially for die hard supporters such as yourself, that the crowds are so small at Valour games.  Happy Canada Day to you!

You may find it surprising, but Valour has been making good progress on the marketing and attendance front this year. Despite it being a miserable afternoon to be sat in that stadium (fun fact: in addition to being Canada's coldest major city, Winnipeg also is hottest in summer) this was probably the second biggest crowd of the year. Many stayed in the concourse where it was almost tolerable in the shade, probably a quarter of all fans by the second half. My usual proxies (size of 50/50 pot and how full the bike parking was) suggest a good number. Because of the long weekend, I was expecting much worse.

However, if the product on the pitch remains as we've been seeing, it will be hard to blame the fans for staying away.

Edited by jonovision

Just now, Wippersuna said:

Concourse seemed a lot busier than usual at half so that’s a good sign. Really need to figure out another striker to bring in though and maybe teach Pacifique to shoot the ball. 

Cavalry did what they need to do with Pacifique and never gave him space on his right foot. He's hopeless with his left.

3 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Anyone know any soccer players that live in Winnipeg that can score? Been asking for a while now.

Attardo has been scoring for FC Manitoba.  2 goals yesterday and another today (2 game in 2 days... that's USL2).  Not sure he is the answer for Valour but he can't be worse than what they have currently.

Very frustrating team to watch.  Good GK, solid defense, good midfield but forwards who cannot score.  Possession but very little threat of actually scoring.  Without Williams and Ponce today but no excuses, they still have to score.  Ulloa's miss was brutal.

Valour has 1 roster spot available and needs a forward from somewhere.  L1O must have someone who can score at the CanPL level?

6 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Concourse seemed a lot busier than usual at half so that’s a good sign. Really need to figure out another striker to bring in though and maybe teach Pacifique to shoot the ball. 

LOL.  Yeah, bit of a migration upstairs at the half as the sun began to arc onto the south stand.  Felt like year 1 for a bit.

These guys always want to get themselves onto a better shooting angle but just end up overplaying it and working their way into a wall of defenders.  Predictable and ineffective.

OK crowd I guess.  Better than I was expecting.  Seems like half the city took Friday off to turn it into a 4 day weekend and beat it to the lake.

Edited by Cheeta

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

LOL.  Yeah, bit of a migration upstairs at the half as the sun began to arc onto the south stand.  Felt like year 1 for a bit.

These guys always want to get themselves onto a better shooting angle but just end up overplaying it and working their way into a wall of defenders.  Predictable and ineffective.

OK crowd I guess.  Better than I was expecting.  Seems like half the city took Friday off to turn it into a 4 day weekend and beat it to the lake.

2nd best of the season, which is not bad considering the heat and the long weekend factor you mention.

I do wonder what the attendance trade-off would be by scheduling all summer games in the evening. You'd lose a few of the families, but I think many who sat through the heat yesterday would be hesitant about coming out for another mid-afternoon game.

Regarding the shooters, most of the time they took the extra touch because the first shooting lane available to them was on their wrong (left) foot. Until de Brienne came on it was a squad with nobody who could make a decent attempt with their left, and Cavalry defended accordingly.

On 7/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, jonovision said:

I do wonder what the attendance trade-off would be by scheduling all summer games in the evening. You'd lose a few of the families, but I think many who sat through the heat yesterday would be hesitant about coming out for another mid-afternoon game.

I think they need to do evening games in July and August.  I think a large majority of summer CFL games are in the evening, with their weekly schedule starting Thursday then Friday snd into the weekend.

And, as @Cheetanoted with the four day weekend comment, there are plenty of regular three day weekenders hitting the outdoors.  They're not coming back into Dodge City to watch soccer, evening or otherwise. There are lots of options and competition for consumers' recreation time and $.

Edited by BearcatSA