CPL wants FC Edmonton to get rid of their Academy

rydermike

Well the top FC Edmonton academy players  would join the Whitecaps academy in the past ... Not sure what really changing 

There's still the BTB program and Edmonton Scottish. 

.Jeff Paulus has said it isn't very expensive to run an academy. They have been a little unlucky to not sell any players 

3 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Well the top FC Edmonton academy players  would join the Whitecaps academy in the past ... Not sure what really changing 

There's still the BTB program and Edmonton Scottish. 

.Jeff Paulus has said it isn't very expensive to run an academy. They have been a little unlucky to not sell any players 

Wouldnt someone have gotten the solidarity payments from Bayern payout??  Some portion of that money should have filtered down to the Edmonton clubs Davies was at before Van wouldnt it??

On 10/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, Bison44 said:

Wouldnt someone have gotten the solidarity payments from Bayern payout??  Some portion of that money should have filtered down to the Edmonton clubs Davies was at before Van wouldnt it??

Was that paid out? I ask because I know MLS was not making those payments, but I remember it being a discussion during the Davis transfer. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Was that paid out? I ask because I know MLS was not making those payments, but I remember it being a discussion during the Davis transfer. 

Under FIFA regulations, it's up to the club paying the transfer fee to remit solidarity payments pro rata to each eligible club. So MLS teams do not receive the full solidarity payment to further distribute among non-MLS clubs.

It was also an American MLS teams issue as them & USSF weren't on board with FIFA's solidarity payment rules (but now on board since they changed their mind about selling players as a business model)

So the Edm Strikers got some payment but it was unclear if Free Footie would also get something.

https://the11.ca/theres-an-alphonso-davies-in-every-canadian-city-after-uncovering-one-star-player-free-footie-looks-to-find-more/

Likewise, when Henry got transferred, his North Mississauga club apparently got around 900k.

Edited by red card

Hmmm, did a little digging.  Seems like there is an annual training compensation per year that varies from 2-40,000 US.  

Solidarity payments can be up to 5% of transfer fee usually paid by the party receiving the player but they can negotiate who's end it comes out of

20,mil x 5%= 1mil

Split proportionally between the clubs the player was at from age 12-23. So the strikers would get credit from age 12-14, whitecaps from 14-18, on a sliding scale with the later years more valuable.  So maybe Strikers got 3-400K???  Seems low..maybe my math is hooped.  

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/faqs-about-training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments