2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Considering our Women were in France in 2019 and we ended up getting knocked out in the Round of 16 by Sweden, I think it is safe to say we need to build around a new generation of women. By that I mean 2019 more or less has to be Sinclair's swansong. I mean she is not getting any younger. She is 37 already. By the time 2023 rolls around, 3 years from now, she will be 40 years old take that in. I say it is time for her to retire from the national team and give way to the current generation of players in the CWNT.

Also, we need to make it a habit of our younger players...our younger women in the team playing more often than not especially if we want to not only be contenders in 2023 but win the whole damn thing.

This isn't the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Thread; this is a rehashing of the same of the same points discussed ad nauseam in the thread "Should Christine Sinclair retire":

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/75892-should-christine-sinclair-retire-from-the-cwnt/

...a thread you have already posted in btw!

Meanwhile, there is actually news about the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup to talk about.

The hosting rights will be allocated on June 25th - this Thursday.

There were 4 bids still active at the start of the month; Brazil withdrew a few weeks ago. Now Japan just withdrew:

https://japan2023bid.com/news/00025033.html

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/japan-pull-2023-wwc-race-report-071412368--spt.html

So the tournament will be hosted by either Colombia or (most likely) Australia & New Zealand.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Colombia hosted one of the women's U-xx tournaments a number of years ago (I can't remember which), and it looked like they did a good job of it.  I vaguely recall that it was viewed as a test for eligibility for hosting the main tournament.  So, I don't think you can count out Colombia as a likely selection.

From a selfish standpoint, I wouldn't mind the tournament being held in a Western Hemisphere time zone.

Edit: Ooops!  It was Costa Rica, not Colombia, that hosted the U17 tournament in 2014.  Nevermind then. 😳

Edited by rkomar
I was wrong!

Based on the bid evaluation report published by FIFA earlier in the month, it sounds like Australia and New Zealand are a lock. Especially, considering that Japan has withdrawn its bid. The Colombian bid received a low score and the report said that significant investments would be required.

48 minutes ago, sloth8 said:

Based on the bid evaluation report published by FIFA earlier in the month, it sounds like Australia and New Zealand are a lock. Especially, considering that Japan has withdrawn its bid. The Colombian bid received a low score and the report said that significant investments would be required.

Plus Australia and New Zealand have the infrastructure needed for the 2023 FIFA World Cup. Since it is a co host bid, then I wonder how many venues each country gets to host games?

Each time it seems that the women's world cups will be more elitist. Only organized by select groups of developed countries. I feel very sorry for Colombia, A country of wonderful people and passionate about soccer.
Fifa sent a report saying that Colombia is not able to correct some medical emergencies and  that would require evacuating a patient to another country : what a big lie: Colombia has excellent private clinics capable of solving any incident . They also questioned its safety, which bothers me because in the travel agency that I work, Colombia is sold very well to European, Japanese and European tourists of high standard . In fact, it is the destination that has the most sales that we have. About infrastructure logically we cannot compare it with Australia or Japan. But in this case Colombia has enough stadiums, and the only one that should have  a big improve was the stadium of Cartagena. In short it will be a fight of David against Goliath. 

6 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Each time it seems that the women's world cups will be more elitist. Only organized by select groups of developed countries. I feel very sorry for Colombia, A country of wonderful people and passionate about soccer.
Fifa sent a report saying that Colombia is not able to correct some medical emergencies and  that would require evacuating a patient to another country : what a big lie: Colombia has excellent private clinics capable of solving any incident . They also questioned its safety, which bothers me because in the travel agency that I work, Colombia is sold very well to European, Japanese and European tourists of high standard . In fact, it is the destination that has the most sales that we have. About infrastructure logically we cannot compare it with Australia or Japan. But in this case Colombia has enough stadiums, and the only one that should have  a big improve was the stadium of Cartagena. In short it will be a fight of David against Goliath. 

I will be very surprised if Colombia wins the bid not that they wouldn't be deserving but compare their stadiums to Australia and New Zealand's stadiums? It is no contest and not to mention both countries Australia and New Zealand are not only beautiful during the summer in terms of weather but both are great tourist destinations. Not to mention easier access to airports and training grounds for the 32 teams in Australia/New Zealand would be far better than what they have in Colombia.

Australia/New Zealand's best capacity is not disputed. The infrastructure of developed nations cannot be compared with that of third world countries. My reflection above is about how difficult  is for emerging nations to have the opportunity to host a women's world cup.

Edited by xabuep2

17 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Australia/New Zealand's best capacity is not disputed. The infrastructure of developed nations cannot be compared with that of third world countries. My reflection above is about how difficult  is for emerging nations to have the opportunity to host a women's world cup.

Yeah okay but still going up against Australia and New Zealand you know majority of countries are going to vote for them over Colombia you do realize that right 

3 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Each time it seems that the women's world cups will be more elitist. Only organized by select groups of developed countries...

FIFA wants to make money off of the tournament, now that they know that they can! You can do that in rich developed countries that care about Women's soccer like the USA, Canada and France. You can't do that in Colombia.

Colombia as host would leave a greater legacy of interest and development of the woman's game.

I think, given the risk of travel issues that could linger on for years due to the COVID-10 pandemic, Colombia might be a better option because FIFA can still make bigger money by hosting it in Australia/New Zealand in 2027. If fans are worried about crowds and travel, and therefore don't, it's not as big a loss.

Australia will definitely draw big crowds for the tournament entirely from the local population, regardless of whether overseas fans travel. I can't speak to what would happen in NZ. sure, no large crowds of travelling supporters would make for a much duller tournament, but there will be decent numbers, for sure.

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah okay but still going up against Australia and New Zealand you know majority of countries are going to vote for them over Colombia you do realize that right 

Unlike the hosting of the men's tournament, where each Federation had a vote, the voting process is done by the FIFA council.

There are no "countries" voting for them. Aus/NZ are still the favourite but with the FIFA council, you just never know. Remember, they gave the 2022 World Cup to Qatar!  😂

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

FIFA wants to make money off of the tournament, now that they know that they can! You can do that in rich developed countries that care about Women's soccer like the USA, Canada and France. You can't do that in Colombia.

Colombia as host would leave a greater legacy of interest and development of the woman's game.

I think, given the risk of travel issues that could linger on for years due to the COVID-10 pandemic, Colombia might be a better option because FIFA can still make bigger money by hosting it in Australia/New Zealand in 2027. If fans are worried about crowds and travel, and therefore don't, it's not as big a loss.

Yeah Colombia would leave a greater legacy of interest but come on tell the truth do you really think Colombia are really that invested in their Women's program especially enough to host a major tournament like the FIFA Women's World Cup?

At least in Australia and in New Zealand, the Women's game over there they have more interest

Also there is the crowd factor like people are pointing out