Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zem

PLSQ 2018 season

Recommended Posts

Might as well get this started since we already have news for next season.

So far it's looking like next year could be a year of firsts for the PLSQ. CS Fabrose has been announced as the league's new expansion club and there has yet to be any indication that a club will drop out of the league. If this holds up, next year would be the PLSQ's first year without losing any clubs and its first year with 8 or more teams. Fabrose will also be the first club from Laval to play in the league.

In other news, there has already been a huge off-season signing announcement as five-time PLSQ Golden Boot winner Freddy Moojen has left CS Mont-Royal Outremont to sign with CS Longueuil for next season. It'll be interesting to see what CSMRO are going to do to try and recapture their "Big Club" status next season. CS Longueuil on the other hand sound absolutely terrifying with an attacking duo of Freddy Moojen and Dex Kaniki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

I'd love to learn more about the league...keep the updates and discussion coming! 

Are all team great Montreal area based? 

One is in Gatineau, one is in QC, and the other six are in what I'd (as an ignorant Torontonian) call the Greater Montreal Area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2017 at 10:19 AM, hamiltonfan said:

I'd love to learn more about the league...keep the updates and discussion coming! 

Are all team great Montreal area based? 

 

On 11/3/2017 at 12:40 PM, Gopherbashi said:

One is in Gatineau, one is in QC, and the other six are in what I'd (as an ignorant Torontonian) call the Greater Montreal Area.

Yeah pretty much, only 2 of the 6 Greater Montreal clubs are on-island (CSMRO and Fabrose). There used to be more on-island clubs, but three have had to drop out over the years due to financial issues (St-Leonard, Montreal-Nord and Lakeshore). St-Hubert and CS Longueuil are both based in Longueuil on the south shore and Blainville and Lanaudiere are on the north shore.

Celtix du Haut-Richelieu were announced as a future expansion club a while ago but haven't joined yet, they would be #3 outside the GMA (they're based in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, about an hour SE of Montreal). Lakeshore are apparently planning to rejoin at some point as well.

Edited by Zem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2017 at 3:22 PM, Zem said:

CS Fabrose has been announced as the league's new expansion club and there has yet to be any indication that a club will drop out of the league.

Do you happen to have a link to the announcement or club? I'd like to read a bit more on the newcomers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all excellent news. La PLSQ is one of the most interesting leagues in the country, largely because of the turnover. I used to work beside La Cité in Gatineau, and would watch some of the games when I worked late. It was decent quality soccer. 

I am very much looking forward to seeing AS Blainville in la Coupe des voyageurs. 

Realistically, there could be teams in Lévis, Trois-Rivières, Chicoutimi and Sherbrooke as well. Those cities easily have enough players to support the club - it's attracting the investment and interest that is the issue. Kudos to Couche Tard for supporting the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

This is all excellent news. La PLSQ is one of the most interesting leagues in the country, largely because of the turnover. I used to work beside La Cité in Gatineau, and would watch some of the games when I worked late. It was decent quality soccer. 

I am very much looking forward to seeing AS Blainville in la Coupe des voyageurs. 

Realistically, there could be teams in Lévis, Trois-Rivières, Chicoutimi and Sherbrooke as well. Those cities easily have enough players to support the club - it's attracting the investment and interest that is the issue. Kudos to Couche Tard for supporting the league. 

IIRC the team in Quebec City plays in Lévis most of their matches. They played a couple of games at the PEPS but all the other

Also in other news, they're supposed to announce something for the women on Saturday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

IIRC the team in Quebec City plays in Lévis most of their matches. They played a couple of games at the PEPS but all the other

Also in other news, they're supposed to announce something for the women on Saturday.

I did not know that. I am in Lévis more often than Québec, so that might be worth checking out. Where do they play in Lévis? 

Also, a women's league in Québec would be amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I did not know that. I am in Lévis more often than Québec, so that might be worth checking out. Where do they play in Lévis? 

Also, a women's league in Québec would be amazing. 

Hopefully it can be stable - the men's league has seemed wobbly enough at times with the frequent turnover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Hopefully it can be stable - the men's league has seemed wobbly enough at times with the frequent turnover.

Given that FC Montréal has closed down, Le Fury d'Ottawa demoted themselves to USL, FC Edmonton is probably taking 2018 "off" and the Whitecaps shipped their USL team to Fresno in the last 12 months, I'd say that's more a problem of the entire industry, rather than a PLSQ problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to put the Blainville PLSQ in this post team one by one. (They're announcing their team on facebook 1 a day so it will take time, will indicate who are the additions.)

1 Jean-Lou Gosselin
2 Abdoulaye Sylla
4 Nafi Dicko
7 Rida Abulhamid
9 Thibaud Moulinas
11 Mitchel Syla (Lanaudière)
14 Nico Bertrand
16 Maxime Leconte
17 Kevin Chan-Yu-Tin
18 Mohamed Sylla
23 Julien Beauséjour
27 Yannick Toker (CS MRO)
30 Erwann Ofouya
33 Idir Redradj

Edited by Blackdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rintaran said:

Is PLSQ not streaming any of their matches this year?

I was hoping to catch a few (mostly AS Blainville), but have been unable to find any links.

Don't think they do. They did that for the first year or 2, but haven't since except for cup games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blainville won the league again. It was a tighter race this year especially with Mont-Royal-Outremont taking the lead with 3.5* matches remaining. However, Mont-Royal-Outremont only managed to get 1 point out of their final 2 matches while Blainville got the full 6 points.

*Blainville had a potsponed game that is being played tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...