Canadian Premier League Inaugural Season

9 hours ago, Alex D said:

2018 as a launch would be great because I think they can do some terrific marketing off of the world cup. I am also very impatient. That said if it has to be 2019 for the good of the league then I begrudgingly accept it. 

This. Marketing off the world cup and a short season of 5 home games per club in a shortened initial season will increase attendances as there will be increased demand for those lesser amount of games.

On 5/11/2017 at 5:31 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

I haven't seen this posted anywhere but what are your preferred game days & times? Personally I would like to see one Wednesday or Thursday night feature "Game of the Week" then a combination of Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Saturday night games. A healthy mix of all for each team. I'm not a fan of schedules that have one particular team always playing in the same day and time slot. 

I'd say no to any mid week games if possible.They're the worst attended in MLS, NASL, and USL. Saturday is the best but Friday games will draw well too. Sunday afternoons the odd time if needed but late afternoon/eve for Saturdays and Friday eve's are the best start times for those days.

2 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

This. Marketing off the world cup and a short season of 5 home games per club in a shortened initial season will increase attendances as there will be increased demand for those lesser amount of games.

I'd say no to any mid week games if possible.They're the worst attended in MLS, NASL, and USL. Saturday is the best but Friday games will draw well too. Sunday afternoons the odd time if needed but late afternoon/eve for Saturdays and Friday eve's are the best start times for those days.

I was thinking it might make economical sense for team to play two road games in a week. Let's say the Saskatchewan Tractors play the Hamilton Steelers in Hamilton on Wednesday and then the Ottawa Fury on the following Saturday in Ottawa. 

I'm sure you got my point after the first sentence but man is it fun talking about specifics!

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I was thinking it might make economical sense for team to play two road games in a week. Let's say the Saskatchewan Tractors play the Hamilton Steelers in Hamilton on Wednesday and then the Ottawa Fury on the following Saturday in Ottawa. 

I'm sure you got my point after the first sentence but man is it fun talking about specifics!

I think for the first year where its important to have a good showing of average league attendance its better to bite the bullet and although you may be spending a bit more for each clubs budget you have an average of say 5-6K per game league wide instead of 3.5k-4K per game with the weekday games dragging down the average. This will help show prospective ownership groups a better revenue stream and may draw more clubs to the league.

The second season having more clubs will necessitate the need for some weekday games as well.

12 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You could also borrow a page out of PDL's handbook for this and try a Friday night & Sunday afternoon match. It's a quick turnaround, but if there's multiple teams in a tight grouping, it could work for the short-season. This would also eliminate the need for those mid-week matches that generally don't draw. I'd probably only recommend 1 team doing a double on a given week in order to spread it out evenly among the teams. That is, if a double needs to be done at all.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-05-11 at 5:31 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

I haven't seen this posted anywhere but what are your preferred game days & times? Personally I would like to see one Wednesday or Thursday night feature "Game of the Week" then a combination of Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Saturday night games. A healthy mix of all for each team. I'm not a fan of schedules that have one particular team always playing in the same day and time slot. 

I'm a fan of putting bums in seats. That is probably market-specific to some extent but generally mid-week games are unattractive to casual fans and attendance will suffer.

We need to stretch out the season anyway so stand down for international breaks and/or put VCup match days on weekends as well.

The only question is afternoon or evening and this is where local tastes/conditions matter. Here in Victoria 7:00 pm is when the most people want to watch a game They want to have a night out in the summer after doing something outside in the afternoon. Other markets may be different.

3 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Really? That doesn't make any sense and I would think VWFC still owns the rights to the name and marks.

They might but I was looking on twitter and that seemed to be the name that people wanted but if VWFC still own it then nothing I can do about it

10 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

They might but I was looking on twitter and that seemed to be the name that people wanted but if VWFC still own it then nothing I can do about it

The name is based on the year the club (now Whitecaps) was founded, so a new CPL team named after them would not make any sense.

How about the Fraser Valley 18s?

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The name is based on the year the club (now Whitecaps) was founded, so a new CPL team named after them would not make any sense.

How about the Fraser Valley 18s?

Actually, I thought the 86ers name was in reference to the city's incorporation (1886) and Expo 86 World's Fair celebrating the centennial.

On 6/22/2017 at 4:41 AM, ray said:

Actually, I thought the 86ers name was in reference to the city's incorporation (1886) and Expo 86 World's Fair celebrating the centennial.

That may have been secondary to it but the main reason was the clubs founding year as I remember during the time.

On 22/6/2017 at 4:41 AM, ray said:

This is, of course, the reason for the name. That the revival was in the Expo year was just the pretext. They in fact started playing a year later, so why don't we ask why they didn't  use 87ers for their name, since that was the important date? 

It would be like saying that the Philadelphia 76ers were named after how old the owners dad was at the time, which was, in fact 76*, and not the year of American independence.

*This fact was of course, totally made up.

Archived