Canadian soccer story of 2016?

matty

3 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Foothills to PDL championship game?

FCE to playoffs?

CMNT draw 55,000 in Vancouver?

Just throwing those out there. I'd still say Women's bronze #1 and maybe TFC playoff run as #2. Lots of great stories this year, and some not-so-good ones. 

I originally had the 55k but I keep having issues posting and got bummed out and when this list worked I didn't want to mess with it more.

I also had "the sign"

2 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Normally I'd be fine with a poll like this around this time of the year, but considering we might be seeing a rather sizable announcement before the end of the month...

if you're talking cpl it is listed. tfc's run is also listed and that's not done yet

Probably should wait a few days since, IMHO, the TFC story is not the same now as after the final. Sad to think folks think it is good enough just getting there: you make finals to win them, enjoy yourself, sure, but win. 

So far I have not seen any evidence of the CPL that I find reliable or encouraging, apologies to those who think otherwise.

I agree that this is a bit premature, but I voted anyways. At this point though there is so much flux. NASL could live to see another day or could die later this month, TFC could win MLS Cup or not (could even get blown out in the final, how much would that change their story?), and according to some, there could be a CPL announcement still this month.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Probably should wait a few days since, IMHO, the TFC story is not the same now as after the final. Sad to think folks think it is good enough just getting there: you make finals to win them, enjoy yourself, sure, but win. 

So far I have not seen any evidence of the CPL that I find reliable or encouraging, apologies to those who think otherwise.

I used the playoff run because everything leading to the cup final especially the Montreal series has been massive already. While we don't know the end, the story has left a mark on Canadian soccer regardless. People can wait to vote if them winning or losing changes how they feel about it. I feel right now most either think it's already the story of the year or won't win or lose.

There's enough serious evidence (mainly out of Hamilton and from Montaglian) to support the claims that something is seriously going on but that's cool that you're not sold on it actually being as real as some think. No matter what happens with it, the CPL has been a dominate story in Canadian soccer this year.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I agree that this is a bit premature, but I voted anyways. At this point though there is so much flux. NASL could live to see another day or could die later this month, TFC could win MLS Cup or not (could even get blown out in the final, how much would that change their story?), and according to some, there could be a CPL announcement still this month.

The NASL one is curious hence my use of brackets for it. I'm hopeful it can survive but things look bleak for it and FCE. I'm actually surprised no one has voted for it so far given how in 2 years it's gone from possibly being the answer to Canada's issues and home for Canadian depth players and developing Canadian coaches to near ruin.

None of the above.

For me it is one of 2 things, the sellout in vancouver for Canada - Mexico...or the Montreal - Toronto MLS series (which I see as different from TFC playoff run).

I think I will have to go with the Montreal - Toronto playoff series due to the large television numbers, amount of mainstream media coverage and silenced soccer naysayers.

Even if TFC wins MLS cup, I pick that series as the largest Canadian soccer story as it was of interest to a larger percentage of the population.

5 hours ago, masster said:

None of the above.

For me it is one of 2 things, the sellout in vancouver for Canada - Mexico...or the Montreal - Toronto MLS series (which I see as different from TFC playoff run).

I think I will have to go with the Montreal - Toronto playoff series due to the large television numbers, amount of mainstream media coverage and silenced soccer naysayers.

Even if TFC wins MLS cup, I pick that series as the largest Canadian soccer story as it was of interest to a larger percentage of the population.

55k was originally listed but as said above i had trouble posting the longer version and now don't wanna mess with this.

Also how Toronto vs Montreal different than Toronto FC's run when it's literally included in it? While it's the biggest chapter of the story, it should not be othered.

Not to be douchy, but I agree that this should be delayed for a few weeks. 

- We are two days away from a pivotal game in Canadian footy history, and if TFC manage to... nevermind, not going to verbalize it.... things could happen that would significantly enhance the status of this option.  Making it to the Stanley Cup finals and lifting the... nevermind... you get the point.

- In the absence of a concrete announcement on CPL, I find it hard to select this option.  Like the TFC story, events occurring prior to the end of 2016 could have a massive impact on this item.  I freely admit that I am not in the know about CPL, and don't have inside info on things like feasibility, scope, salary budgets, etc.  And even though the rumour mill is full steam ahead, the fact remains that we have very little officially announced yet.  I will aggressively wear my CPL shirt when it arrives, but it is hard to say it is the story of the year when there hasn't really been a story yet - at least by the people who would actually be actively establishing the league.

- NASL is similarly unresolved, and despite what seems to be the inevitable writing on the wall, there are still enough financial irons in the fire that there will necessarily be further developments.  FCEd is a prime example - they will either stick it out with a crippled NASL, fold, move to USL on a permanent basis, or move to USL as a transitional step to CPL.  The "fold" option - which some seem to think is a real possibility - would rival some of the options noted above since it would be the end of what is probably Canada's 4th highest profile pro team at the moment.

Just too many unresolved issues around some of the front-running stories to cast a vote yet.

17 hours ago, matty said:

Also how Toronto vs Montreal different than Toronto FC's run when it's literally included in it? While it's the biggest chapter of the story, it should not be othered.

Because "Toronto FC's playoff run" excludes "Montreal Impact's playoff run". It was the combination of those 2, not just TFC, that made that series so special.

So the TFC - Montreal series is my answer.

Just now, masster said:

Because "Toronto FC's playoff run" excludes "Montreal Impact's playoff run". It was the combination of those 2, not just TFC, that made that series so special.

So the TFC - Montreal series is my answer.

again i think you're singling out a chapter from an overall larger story. had montreal won it would be labelled "montreal impact's playoff run". all the power to you (it will be tallied) but including it as part of a larger story makes it more important imo.

18 minutes ago, matty said:

again i think you're singling out a chapter from an overall larger story. had montreal won it would be labelled "montreal impact's playoff run". all the power to you (it will be tallied) but including it as part of a larger story makes it more important imo.

What I'm trying to say is that chapter is so much more important than the rest of the story....even if Toronto wins MLS Cup. It was that series that ignited the country. That doesn't happen if it is Toronto v DC United. It is the fact that it was those two teams and that stage. For me, that is the biggest Canadian soccer story in 2016. The rest of the runs for both teams pale in significance.

2 minutes ago, masster said:

What I'm trying to say is that chapter is so much more important than the rest of the story....even if Toronto wins MLS Cup. It was that series that ignited the country. That doesn't happen if it is Toronto v DC United. It is the fact that it was those two teams and that stage. For me, that is the biggest Canadian soccer story in 2016. The rest of the runs for both teams pale in significance.

Look i get what you're saying but I think for the most part the whole thing should be gathered and not a single part and because Toronto won it will be remembered as part of their journey to the MLS Cup.

Archived