Academies or Regional or The OPDL

mmd

1 hour ago, Protega said:

I got the sense it was the clubs that were trying to avoid the academies (certainly the stronger academies I know of would love to play the clubs if they got the chance).  Didn't the OSA approve the Umbro Top Rated showcase for OPDL clubs a couple of seasons ago, but then apparently leaned on the tournament organizers to keep the OPDL teams separate from everyone else?  I thought that might have been the summer before last?

I've heard that from enough sources to believe that it's true as well. I think in its infancy, when they were trying to get buy-in, OPDL avoided them on those grounds (understandably although perhaps not the right strategy). Now that the league is a little more established, that seems to be less of a concern. Consider:

http://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/755012?referrer_id=3069015

Granted, we have no idea how many teams entered tournaments and did poorly or the quality of those tournaments. North Miss U13 boys OPDL also entered a tournament over the holidays (not listed on that link) and played Ontario opposition; they lost in the finals to a U14 district team from Niagara.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting development...the seven clubs that are forming this breakaway league have been telling parents that the league is sanctioned by the OSA and EODSA and that kids will therefore be insured, but sounds like that might not be the case.  It's for the U9 - U12 age groups, so it would be classified as a "Grassroots District Development League", which means it would have to be sanctioned by the district association (EODSA in this case).

https://www.eodsa.ca/ViewArticle.aspx?NewsArticleID=9972

10 hours ago, Protega said:

Interesting development...the seven clubs that are forming this breakaway league have been telling parents that the league is sanctioned by the OSA and EODSA and that kids will therefore be insured, but sounds like that might not be the case.  It's for the U9 - U12 age groups, so it would be classified as a "Grassroots District Development League", which means it would have to be sanctioned by the district association (EODSA in this case).

Your first post about this situation mentioned 2 of the 7 clubs involved are OPDL clubs. It will be interesting to see what happens. If they continue on with this rogue league will they still be allowed to participate in the OPDL? Will they get the boot from OPDL? Or will they get back in line and ditch this rogue league in order to keep their standing with the OPDL?

They first tried to set-up a Sunday night league (for u9-u12) that would have set strict minimum requirements that would have excluded most other clubs from the league except the mighty 7.     As a result several players from our small club have already moved to one of these clubs to be able to play "Tier 1" soccer.

When the EODSA prevented this from happening they set-up the rogue league, including a website with standings, contrary to the OSA development program.

Ottawa soccer is in a mess right now including OCSL (senior) teams looking to set-up an unsanctioned league and the possibility of the EODSA going bankrupt.

It discouraging to dedicate yourself to the game and then see this ego driven garbage going on.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎16 at 3:13 PM, Offside said:

The only thing is too many politics at tfc, with the coaches and they look for size 

Funny thing is that at least at the U12 boys age group, one of those 7 clubs weren't going to enter a team in tier 1 ERSL because the team is so weak (the kids on the team actually cry after many of their games, so the club was finally going to just play them in tier 2).  But I guess they'll keep tormenting those boys so the club can save face and enter 8 teams.

30 minutes ago, MM2 said:

They first tried to set-up a Sunday night league (for u9-u12) that would have set strict minimum requirements that would have excluded most other clubs from the league except the mighty 7.     As a result several players from our small club have already moved to one of these clubs to be able to play "Tier 1" soccer.

When the EODSA prevented this from happening they set-up the rogue league, including a website with standings, contrary to the OSA development program.

Ottawa soccer is in a mess right now including OCSL (senior) teams looking to set-up an unsanctioned league and the possibility of the EODSA going bankrupt.

It discouraging to dedicate yourself to the game and then see this ego driven garbage going on.

Would you have a link to the website?  Just curious what trash they're spewing there.

3 hours ago, Protega said:

Would you have a link to the website?  Just curious what trash they're spewing there.

I heard that some of the info, if not the site was taken down, I will see if I can track down the link.

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30 at 11:06 AM, Kent said:

Your first post about this situation mentioned 2 of the 7 clubs involved are OPDL clubs. It will be interesting to see what happens. If they continue on with this rogue league will they still be allowed to participate in the OPDL? Will they get the boot from OPDL? Or will they get back in line and ditch this rogue league in order to keep their standing with the OPDL?

I was wondering the same thing - why would they be doing this if it could jeopardize other aspects of their clubs.  Would it be possible for the OSA to back this, while the EODSA is opposed?  These age groups are supposed to be sanctioned by the districts, but I wonder if there could be an exception.  Or, they could just be so arrogant that they think the OSA/EODSA will give in. 

10 hours ago, Protega said:

Pretty blatant contradiction...

http://opdp.ca/About.aspx

I would think any referees getting involved with these games will have a problem?

You would think refs wouldn't be able to do games for sanctioned leagues if they do games for OPDP, but then again, players from the unsanctioned CSL were allowed to play for the damn national beach soccer team. So I'm not optimistic there will be any repercussions like that.

That OPDP website isn't doing a great job of selling itself. There were meetings, and they agreed, it would be better to... have a different league. Um... OK?

11 hours ago, Protega said:

tting involved with these ga

Don't know much about the Ottawa scene, but this seems very typical of soccer in Ontario (the sentiment certainly, perhaps not the creation of a new league).

Soccer in Ontario is an under-led collection of self interests.  I have no doubt the clubs forming this new league are doing it with good, player focused intentions.  I suspect they all feel like they do a good job of developing players (and they likely do...I know some of those clubs), but they are forced to exist in this bureaucratic quagmire of district, provincial and national associations applying over-bearing rules to how they conduct their business.

Like I said, this is very typical of the sentiment around the province (and country likely) and this inability to have everyone puling in the same direction only produces sub-optimal outcomes.  

This is the disease in soccer in this country and I don't feel at all hopeful for a cure.  

On 3/24/2017 at 8:18 AM, Protega said:

You  should see what's going on with youth soccer in Ottawa.  Seven clubs pulled out of the local league for U9 - U12 and formed their own league to avoid playing against one specific club that they struggle against on the field.  They have been very deliberate in setting the criteria for the league in such a way that this one club probably can't meet the criteria (it's a smaller, elite program).  Apparently their plan is to leave this one club with less competition, hoping parents will move their kids from there.

Not surprising, given that most of these seven clubs refuse to even play friendly games for fear of looking bad.  But I was really surprised the OSA has approved this.  Two of the clubs are the OPDL clubs in Ottawa, so the OSA is probably desperate to prop up OPDL at any cost.

CSA needs to step in, because there's a lot of funny business going on at the OSA.

Ok, so the link you posted showed the 7 breakaway clubs, care to share the club mentioned above? Is it Ottawa Futuro? What a mess.

Consensus seems to be that they are trying to squeeze Futuro out.  It may be that these clubs also have a longer-term concern about where Ontario soccer is going, with the ORA program and the OASL pilot.  I think they're concerned about competition from academies in the future.

I wouldn't say these clubs are doing this with player-focused intentions.  I actually have an internal e-mail from one of those clubs where they reassure the coaches that nothing is changing, except for the name of the league and who will be running it.  Most of those clubs' player development is deplorable (I can't stress strongly enough how poor three or four of those clubs development systems are).  A couple of them do a decent job, but even they often take more credit than they should (many of their players have come from elsewhere, so while I agree they have had a role in their development, they can't take full credit).

So, then what are the motivations of the clubs if they don't think they can do a better job than the status quo?  Is it simply a "political" move to consolidate "power"?

If so, I guess I wouldn't be surprised.  Would fit neatly into what I have observed in Ontario soccer - clubs, districts, province, country all mistrust each other, don't listen to each other, etc...

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Wow, someone had some free time on March 31st.

Probably knocked off early, since it was a Friday.

As for the upcoming vote among OCSL members to pull out of the OSA/EODSA, it's hard to tell whether this is the same issue as the OPDP.  This OCSL proposal was raised in the past as well and the argument has been that Ottawa registration money isn't going back into Ottawa soccer.  I really don't trust the clubs who are involved in this though - there always seems to be some ulterior motive with them.

As for the OPDP, their website (which may not have been updated in a while) clearly indicates that the league is to be sanctioned by the EODSA, so it appears that their intent was that it would be sanctioned.  Now that the EODSA has said they won't sanction it, they're probably just playing a game of chicken.  I do think there are a lot of gullible parents who actually believe the OPDP is about player development.

Looks like they haven't actually dropped the idea...the teams these clubs have entered in the ERSL exclude the ones they are entering in the unsanctioned league (some of these clubs operate 5 or 6 "competitive" teams per age group).

I did hear about one fairly high profile coach leaving one of these clubs because he was worried about being suspended if he was involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the Ottawa clubs involved in this rogue league have been called to a disciplinary hearing by the EODSA.  Normally this would be a positive, except that a significant portion of the EODSA board is made up of employees of the clubs in question.  I did hear that OSA reps will be at the hearing also, so hopefully they do something about it.

Back on topic, a few OPDL teams are facing non-OPDL teams in tournaments in the next two weeks, so it should be informative. Also telling is that a number of former OPDL teams are in the Ontario cup, so assuming they didn't lose too many of their players, it should also give an idea of relative level. No (as far as I can tell) SAAC teams in Ontario cup, but a few CAF teams. 

Cup games and tournaments are not completely indicative (upsets are possible, just look at the FA cup), but let's see if a trend emerges.

I found this document regarding OASL:

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0121/6734/FAQ_April_2017.pdf

"The OASL fits into the player development structure similar to where Regional Leagues fit into the Club Soccer Stream. Just as Club regional leagues, the OASL is a level below the OPDL. When comparing to the OPDL, OPDL standards are much higher. The primary differences are in the areas of standards, oversight, objectives and placement within the Talented Pathway. OPDL is the pinnacle of youth player development."

and

"OASL private academies cannot participate in the Club Soccer Stream’s Ontario Cup competition as they will have their own Ontario Academy League Championship Cup"

Finally, TFC is now an official sponsor of OPDL:

http://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/782686?referrer_id=2958561

Archived