FC Montreal 2016 Discussion

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The impact continue to do a horrible job with English coverage of this team. If anyone knows what the roster looks like, feel free to post. One interesting signing was Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla, who has been one of the standout players in the entire USSDA this year and last.

All articles are written in both languages. They don't talk a lot about the team TBH and people don't write about the team. The Gazette doesn't have a lot of Impact stuff except Lloyd Barker's weekly column. Imagine FC Montréal. 

Only thing I can add is Messoudi is gone (he's on trial at Odds right now) (Frédéric Lord reported that)

• 2 months later...

GOALKEEPERS: James Pantemis, David Paulmin, Luca Leone
DEFENDERS: Janouk Charbonneau, Jems Geffrard, Zachary Sukunda, Mélé Temguia, Nevello Yoseke, Simon Lemire, Aron Mkungilwa, Thomas Meilleur-Giguère
MIDFIELDERS: Philippe Lincourt-Joseph, Alessandro Riggi, Marco Dominguez, Mastanabal Kacher, Yacine Ait Slimane, Fabio Morelli, Fabrice Mbvouvouma, Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla, Heikel Jarras, Louis Béland-Goyette, Samuel Duffek, David Choinière
FORWARDS: Jacques Haman, Charles Joly

It looks like Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé and Michael Salazar will spend time with FC Montréal. BTW, you can't really loan players to FC Montréal and lose a MLS roster spot. That's why they sent Romario to Charleston because they needed that international spot and Romario wasn't that good to warrant it. 

Is that true? The USL rules seem to be a work in progress vis a vis MLS and I'm also not sure if Salazar counts as an international. I agree with you that Salazar, whom Montreal seems high on, and Gagnon-Lapare will play a lot in USL this year.

Maxim Tissot is in tough, I can't see him playing a lot at the senior level this year but he makes the 18 enough that they can't send him down to FC Montreal either. A lot of players have been caught in that purgatory in the MLS teams.

1-0 loss at home to the new Union affiliate, Bethlehem Steel. That's not a good result with four MLS players starting although the Union had their own ringers like our old friend Ontario/American journeyman Ryan Richter, Walter Restropo and Yaro, the first overall pick this year. Not a single shot on target either; I mentioned above that goals could be a problem with this team and that's not an encouraging start to the year.

21 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

1-0 loss at home to the new Union affiliate, Bethlehem Steel. That's not a good result with four MLS players starting although the Union had their own ringers like our old friend Ontario/American journeyman Ryan Richter, Walter Restropo and Yaro, the first overall pick this year. Not a single shot on target either; I mentioned above that goals could be a problem with this team and that's not an encouraging start to the year.

I was at the game. While we did start 4 MLS players, Bethlehem started 7 MLS players and that is not even counting players like Richter who are signed to Bethlehem itself not Philadelphia. Plus we were missing a few of our players who were with the U20 national team. Bethlehem definitely is approaching USL different than FCM with seemingly less of a development idea for young players. It was pretty obvious to see their team was older, bigger, stronger and more physical than the Impact. That being said the run of play was pretty even with probably a bit of advantage for FCM but BS were often more effective with their final pass and finished their chance. We had a number of chances with a really nice bicycle kick by Salazar that barely missed but the rest of the finishing was pretty poor with players missing the net by a lot on good chances. Still in addition to the U20 absences we also did not have our leading scorer from last year Riggi who is injured. I also suspect in looking at their lineup, even though they are a new team, Bethlehem Steel will be one of the better USL teams this year. FCM continues with the same philosophy from last year of starting mostly young homegrown Canadians. Lefevre was the only one on the team over 22 and most are under 20. I personally agree with this strategy but hope they will be able to remain competitive as the USL is improving and many teams are signing older players with a fair bit of professional experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the FC Montreal vs Toronto FC II match. TFC ended up winning 1-2 and all 3 goals were crackers.

Tabla for Montreal and Bono and Edwards for TFC were the standout players. Tabla should really be called up to the National Team just to cap-tie him for the future. Other honorable mentions go to Choiniere (Montreal) and Davis and Johnson for TFC. 

The Montreal central defensive partnership between Fisher and Meilleur is very very average. Both players are so incredibly slow and lack basic coordination and agility. That's going to be a major problem this season. 

The difference in quality in various players on the pitch was huge and that's a shame to see. You've got a couple really promising players, a couple average ones and quite a few very poor ones. It's not helpful for the really talented guys to play with guys who don't deserve to be on the same pitch as them. It slows their progression and you could see the frustration that some of them have with their teammates because they can't control or pass a ball over a few metres.

It's good that a few promising guys are coming up but the overall standard still has to improve a lot.

Great points, I'm in total agreement. FCM has gotten shellacked in the majority of the games they've played in their existence and haven't graduated a single player to the senior team but they seem convinced that they have some wonderful purity of developmental approach with all the former academy players on the roster. Meanwhile, Romario Williams has scored two in two for Charleston and looks like a real difference maker at this level.

Having said all that, although it's early, Ballou Tabla may be the best prospect any Canadian team has had in their system yet. His goal tonight showed everything: touch, vision, movement, speed and finish. There was always the worry he was just physically more mature at the USSDA level but he was a fireball tonight.

The standard of play was a lot better in the FCM - Bethleham game with a few more 1st team players for FCM playing against a team that was not a youth team at all. Today both the Impact and TFC seemed to decide to play most of their younger players. The play was very disjointed overall but there were some good individual performances. The 3 goals were all great individual plays. The first half was pretty even but FCM was the better team in the second except for in the great individual goals category which TFC won 2-1. I have to agree with SCF08 about Kyle Fisher. I watched him in the preseason with the Impact and he did not impress me at all unlike our 2nd round pick Salazar. And in the two FCM games I have seen he doesn't even look that great playing against this level of player. The way he is playing I am not sure why we are not playing a young Canadian instead of him.

Watched the first twenty or thirty minutes of this one: FCM could have given up five goals in the first ten minutes, but only leaked one after a brutal Geffard turnover in his own half. They let in one more in the second half to lose 2-0. Tissot was playing LB, I think it's good the team is thinking what else to do with him. Wilmington was really targeting Charbonneau on the right flank.

Gagnon-Lapare seemed to play decently but I can't say too much else nice about the team, they don't have a lot of quality to begin with and they were coming into the game with a blackmail issue affecting their main striker, an apparently brutal series of flight delays leading to them getting in late last night and a windy, hot pitch in Wilmington. Their games are pretty tough to watch right now and I don't see where points are going to come from.

Another loss for FC Montreal (2-1 vs Rochester Rhinos). Awful display from a very average team. The central defensive partnership again failed miserably. Not only defensively but they can't build up properly as well. The central midfielders weren't great again and it takes too long for them to control the ball and then move it forwards. 

It also seems like the players have no idea what they're doing and what they can do to impact the game. They weren't pressing when they had the opportunity or even when they were 2-1 down. There was so much space for Rochester to play because the defence was sitting deep so much and the attackers didn't get back into shape quickly enough.

I watched the 2nd half tonight and after going up 1-0 a few minutes after half time, FC Montreal fell apart. A FC Montreal defender booted the ball, for no reason at all, to an opposition winger, who strolled in and scored. I don't know what he was thinking.

There were flashes of good play, (Tabla, David Choiniere), but FC Montreal has trouble with the high press of the opposition and got muscled off the ball after hitting hopeful long balls. Not enough dynamic players.

Canadian defender Dominic Samuel who plays for Rochester marked Tabla out of the game. He was great.

11 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Canadian defender Dominic Samuel who plays for Rochester marked Tabla out of the game. He was great.

Well, not really. Tabla played on the right wing in the first half and start of second half. He only ended up on the left wing during the second and hardly received any good passes. Samuel played a very good match though and won almost all duels vs Choiniere and Tabla.

Well to be fair being up a man they did buzz around the Orlando final third for most of the second half.  I honestly thought they might have nicked a draw...but no one could turn it up a notch.  Riggi looked pissed in the second half, very frustrated.  

Orlando started 6 MLS players including their DP Rochez, Montreal started 0 MLS players. Montreal did have a lot of chances, Riggi being back makes a big difference but ran into a hot keeper in Mark Ridgers who has 26 Scottish Premiership starts. Michael Cox scored a nice goal and was dangerous all game even when they were down to 10 men. Obviously Montreal is using this team purely as a development team for their youth players and is not concerned about results. Like last year, while they are losing a lot, they are not really getting outplayed. The run of play is usually fairly even in their games and they are losing due to occasional defensive errors and lack of scoring. As long as the losing doesn't affect the players psychologically I find the strategy good because they are holding their own against teams that are a pretty good level and getting lots of experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the last ten minutes of their 2-1 loss to Bethlehem Steel. Gave up one penalty when Pantemis was too scared to dive for a ball in the box and gave up another on a counter-attack after messing up an over-elaborate free kick. Choiniere had a nice goal early on for FCM but they remain winless with three goals scored on the season. Romario Williams scored again for Charleston last night.

A lot of MLS teams could do worse then bringing in Ryan Richter as RB depth, BTW.

Crepeau plays about half the games, Kronberg was in there tonight.  Montreal had several U-20 players on the ill fated Costa Rica trip that got turned around and were on the bench(instead of starting).  But I dont know what they can do to turn things around.  Maybe get Williams back, he is scoring for Charlestown.  

Archived