Caps vs Sounders 2015-09-23 (R)

Well that sucks. 0-3 loss and it wasn't that close. Rodriguez just sucks at CB. He'll be gone. Problem is with the second worst goals against in USL and the 4th most saves by keepers nobody really stands out to promote themselves to the first team. Waston, Kah, Parker, Dean and "whoever is next" are the current standings. I don't see any break outs from USL this year, maybe next.

Just not connecting on any cylinder. Sam and Kianz started and were okay but the endless turnovers from just about everyone was painful to watch. Russ and Bustos came on as subs but Russ looked very bad and Marco was unnoticeable.

We have one more game in central america so I'm thinking since we are out anyway, and so it Olympia, it is truly a meaningless game. We have 7 Canadians on the first team who are eligible for that game so baring injury I'd say let them "experience" central america. It will be good for them if they go down there later as members of our national team.

Oy. The performances from Rodriguez, Dean and Flores were abysmal - long balls over the top either directly into touch or directly to Seattle. Impossible to achieve anything with that build-up play from the back. Sam looks lost as an attacking mid, he never seemed to know where to be. Puzzling that Robinson would play Dean and Sam out of position in order to accommodate Rodriguez. Hopefully this performance puts an end to those experiments. Wanted to see Bustos get more time as well.

Missed most of the game but tuned in just in time to see Flores give away the ball 3 times in 30 seconds before finally volleying the ball into the corner (to nobody of course).

I only saw about 20 minutes but Teibert never looked bad. Pretty reliable in posession as usual at DM. Perhaps Flores made him look good? The talent is there with that young man but his decision making kills him. Anyways he is a Honduran (and only a youth international at that) so enough on him.

Froese looked alright, not great but not bad. I don't think he'll ever have enough to be a dominant wide player, but surely useful for both the Whitecaps and CMNT in the future. 

Bustos has such great technique and skill and is so quick but he too doesn't have that something where he'll dominate a game at this level - not yet anyways. Perhaps he just needed more touches, he never had the ball at his feet enough on those few minutes to really do anything, but he worked hard for the most part.

As for Honduras, get as many Canadians in there as possible but line them up next to a few starters. Not sure who will be healed by the next match-day but...

-------------------------Clarke------------------

-------------------------Bustos----------------------------------------Manneh-----------Rosales------------Froese

-------------------Teibert-------Laba--------------

Adekugbe-----Watson--Kah-----Beitashour

-------------------------Carducci--------------------

I am predicting no starters will go south for the final game. Manneh, Laba, Rosales, Waston, Kah and Beitashour will not be down there. It is meaningless for both teams as Seattle has advanced already. Send the players in the 16-30 positions on the depth chart.

Teibert gave the ball away with bad passes a lot. Very uncharacteristic for him. Here's hoping it was just a one off bad night for all.

At first glance it's easy to say let's just send 16-30 down and I am certain that will happen. However, despite the fact that it's a meaningless game, a win is a win and the momentum that creates would be valuable. 

Can they get a win by sending all kids and reserves? Maybe. Can they lose by sending a mix of reserves and starters? Maybe.

It's too late now but I keep thinking about the announcers comparison and contrast of Siggy and Robbo's approach - wondering how valuable it is to send out all reservers with little to no veteran experience.

The match down in Honduras is a chance to  send a mix and aside from increasing the odds of winning (and the benefits that come with that), it can give an opportunity for those coming back from injury to gain some match fitness.

And as a V, my interest lies first and foremost in Cdn players, so my selfish side wants to see a canuck-heavy squad down there, but one with enough veteran leadership to earn a result.

I've brought it up in the past, but why players who will not be in the system next year, and haven't performed well (Flores and Rodriguez are the two specific players I'm referencing) are getting minutes is beyond me.

Have to think Dean is out of the clubs plans as well next year, he hasn't looked good even at the USL level. A big, talented centre back is good. A big, useless tit of a centre back is not good. Give his minutes to Farmer.

Dean's looked very good at CB in USL this year, how many Whitecaps 2 games have you actually watched? Flores will certainly be back next year also, he's had a couple of very nice performances mixed with a few duds and is only 18. A certainty for the USL side at least.

And Dean when he subbed in at outside back also did well, even though physically he is definitely meant for the centre. Dean is a decent 4th option for centre back, Rodriguez should be let go. I agree Flores will likely stay, but he needs time on the 2nd team to sharpen up and get some coaching, he needs to be corrected and at MLS level you can't be experimenting like that.

It is annoying to see the Caps not take the Champions League seriously. For many years they did not take the Voyageurs Cup seriously and fielded B teams in many games but at least that meant they lost. This year they seemed to take it more seriously and finally won but now they are not representing Canada very well in the Champions League. If they are going to field B teams in the Champions League then they should go back to fielding them in the Voyageurs Cup so we are not stuck with them representing us internationally. I hope they will at least take the competition more seriously next year. And as for their claims they needed to rest players for the league games, Kansas City which is actually in danger of missing the playoffs rested their players for a MLS match because of the US Open Cup final. Nice to see a bit of karma for both teams though, Vancouver losing their MLS match with their rested players while KC manages a tie in the MLS match with their youngsters.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/09/27/sporting-kansas-city-impressed-see-reserves-take-advantage-opportunity-vs-se 

I assume Robinson's view is that we'll be in next year's Champions League in any event, but maybe not have another opportunity to win the supporter's shield. Regardless, I agree with you. That group was there for the taking. Too bad. It would be nice however, if we could get our representative in the same pot with the US and Mexican clubs. As much as I want to play Seattle, the cream puff groups for other MLS clubs would help postpone this do or die type match to later in the competition.

I find it hard to understand why any team would value the Supporter's Shield over advancing in Champions League. Winning the regular season is not overly legitimate in a league with a playoff system since many teams are just trying to make the playoffs and not necessarily giving 100%. Nevertheless, the Supporters Shield would have some legitimacy if MLS was playing a balanced schedule with a single table but given that the league is in two division not playing a balanced scheduled it is really a meaningless award. And who remembers which team won the Supporter's Shield in any given year?  Yes there are some playoff advantages to winning it as far as hosting home games but it seems like a poor trade to give up Champions League for those advantages. Only 6 of 19 Supporters Shield winners have actually won the MLS Cup.

Then one considers that the Caps were playing their main rival and no fan should be happy if their team does not go all out to beat their biggest rival regardless of the situation. It is a disgrace to the club not to do so. We were really pissed when Dos Santos put a B team out in the famous blowout loss to TFC not because we cared whether the Caps won the tournament but because we should always put out a strong lineup against TFC. We were lucky that we were able to defeat TFC in a blowout a few years later or else we would probably still be hearing about that game.

And if the club does not care about the honour of the club and the feeling of the fans you would think the potential revenue of playing a big name team in an official competition and filling BC Place as well as raising the profile of the Caps might motivate the club. Also I think MLS gives teams that go far in Champions League some breaks with salary caps and player rules. 

I don't mind if they play a strong lineup and lose legitimately but to put out a B team against your chief rival in a Champions League match is really disgraceful. If Seattle goes on a run Robinson should be strapped in a chair ala Alex in Clockwork Orange and forced to watch every game! 

Guest ClaytonA

Then one considers that the Caps were playing their main rival and no fan should be happy if their team does not go all out to beat their biggest rival regardless of the situation. It is a disgrace to the club not to do so. We were really pissed when Dos Santos put a B team out in the famous blowout loss to TFC not because we cared whether the Caps won the tournament but because we should always put out a strong lineup against TFC. We were lucky that we were able to defeat TFC in a blowout a few years later or else we would probably still be hearing about that game.

And if the club does not care about the honour of the club and the feeling of the fans you would think the potential revenue of playing a big name team in an official competition and filling BC Place as well as raising the profile of the Caps might motivate the club. Also I think MLS gives teams that go far in Champions League some breaks with salary caps and player rules. 

I don't mind if they play a strong lineup and lose legitimately but to put out a B team against your chief rival in a Champions League match is really disgraceful. ...

Montreal and Toronto have put 45,000+ in stadiums for CCL games on week nights.  Love to see that in B.C. Place.  As someone following the team off and on since 1994, I've really developed a love-hate attitude towards them.  Certainly helps oen keep perspective.  They do some great things, and some things that, well, I guess others, the majority of fans must support. 

Some of the media coverage isn't independant enough not to be sycophantic- they don't ask tough questions (The Province seemingly attacking a player repeatedly and racism issues coming up aside...) and let the FO, manager, and players off too easily some times.  I'm thankful just to have the amount of coverage the team has right now; it's still an ongoing process.  It's too easy for me to criticize; I'd like to think I'd do differently in their place, and quite possibly wouldn't.  Never was any good in office politics, or any political environment really.  The communication is could be better, more nuanced.

Re. 18–06–2009 - it felt a little different because with the injuries, overly defensive performance bias, and really year-long scoring issues, the current team's in a funk in all competitions, not just seemingly throwing one game.  This CCL game was still disgraceful though, and league isn't even balanced within the western conference; that's a criticism of the FO and ownership as presumably they set the goals, direction, vision.  But this game is also really representative of the what the team is at this time.  It's banged up.  Depth players could be doing better in league play too.  This is the team right now.  That game versus TFC was not representative of IMFC back then, more cynical.

Archived