2015 VCup Semifinal 2 First Leg - Edmonton vs. Vancouver - May 6 - POSTPONED

Reading from Weber that Caps can't field their USL players for V's Cup games:

638ec2496d0be070f4fdf35d72bea54b_normal.Marc Weber @ProvinceWeber  ·  22h 22 hours ago

Apparently CBA rules prevent Caps from playing USL players in Canadian championship. So, Sampson will just have to get over that cramp.

Given that, his guess for the starting 11 might be pretty short on CanCon, continuing a very disappointing start-of-season across all five clubs:

Marc Weber ‏@ProvinceWeber

Strong Caps' lineup for Edmonton. Rough guess? Tornaghi; Sampson, Parker, Dean, Adekugbe; Flores, Froese; Hurtado, Nico, Manneh; Earnie

Strong team though, with so many benchwarming Caps eager to audition for MLS minutes.

With that restriction I wonder if it makes sense that we open up the competition to USL teams?

Yes, it seems the CSA wants it both ways, but the USL teams are a bit of a chimera: kind of a reserve team, kind of a standalone club. If they have enough USL-only players to field an 11, the team should be eligible to compete but I don't think any of the Canadian teams are at that level ye.

That's rather disappointing. I know we have a 30 player roster but I'd like to see some more of players from the USL2 teams get into the fight. A 28 player MLS roster does have lots of players who need playing time. 

Adekugbe, Bustos, Carducci, Clarke, Froese, McKendry and Teibert are still available for Canadian content. I doubt we'll see Teibert as he just played against Portland. I'm not sure about the injury situation with any of the others. Given how good Kianz has looked in his limited MLS minutes I'd bet he starts. 

The coach mentioned Tornaghi and Techera will play. 

Guest ClaytonA

The Pint Calgary club, Caps In Calgary was trying to put together a bus trip up to Edmonton...

https://twitter.com/capsincalgary

Nothing posted here (not that there's many V's in Calgary), on the footsoldiers twitter or on their forum.  Not tweeted to any of the local minor or adult clubs that I'm aware of.  Every group has their own seperate venues for communication minus two or three V's posting about the Calgary PDL/footsoldiers in these forums.

https://twitter.com/footsoldierssg

http://footsoldierssg.weebly.com/forums.html#/

Guest ClaytonA

Yup, nothing from the Foot Soldiers this year. We're still pretty small and haven't yet met any other supporters groups in Calgary. I imagine that will change as we get more organized and have a consistent group for matches. Next year I'll organize something as I think it's time I finally get out to Clarke.

We have a Facebook page now which will help us organize future events. https://www.facebook.com/footsoldierssg

Why should the MLS teams be allowed to use players from the USL teams? They don't have enough advantage as it is? I think it makes perfect sense, and the fact the USL teams aren't allowed to enter the Championship does to. Who do you think would win, in the hypothetical TFC vs TFC2 finals?

conditions look pretty brutal, sportsnet reporting the game is postponed....not sure if that means tonight, tomorrow, next week??

They said it is postponed to next Wednesday in Vancouver.

conditions look pretty brutal, sportsnet reporting the game is postponed....not sure if that means tonight, tomorrow, next week??

Why did they not clear the field of snow before checking the conditions of the field? Also, why did they make a decision at that time of the day (6 hours before scheduled kickoff) when the forecast said that conditions were going to improve...as they did?

Reading from Weber that Caps can't field their USL players for V's Cup games:

638ec2496d0be070f4fdf35d72bea54b_normal.Marc Weber @ProvinceWeber  ·  22h 22 hours ago

Apparently CBA rules prevent Caps from playing USL players in Canadian championship. So, Sampson will just have to get over that cramp.

I completely get why that's in the CBA. A team shouldn't be allowed to treat the national championship as a reserve squad practice match, nor should a team be allowed to not pay a higher end MLS player for the match.

As far as opening up the championship to USL teams...I would say yes if the idea is to make the Canadian championship like the FA cup and make it a longer affair. That said, I don't think we're there yet in this country and given the skill level involved, I'd say keep it between the MLS and NASL teams.

As long as USL-PRO is a glorified MLS reserve league, I'm not a fan of including any of their teams in the V's Cup. Beyond MLS club extentions, a league that isn't recognized shouldn't be in a country's domestic championship imo.

To expand the tournament, I think it's better to look at the provincial div 3 leagues (perhaps start by including the PLSQ and L1O champions?) or using the V's Cup as an incentive for NASL expansion.

Archived