5 reasons for Canadians to watch the World Cup

jpg75

You know what, if it gets people hooked on soccer I have no problem with it. They can start watching and then maybe they will ask why these guys don't play for Canada and maybe, just maybe, we can educate people and make them interested in improving the national team and supporting local teams.

I came back to soccer and started supporting my local team after watching the WC'94 from the USA.

Yeah even though I always played as Canada in the old FIFA games, I definitely got into international soccer (and consequently the Canadian team) for real after the '06 World Cup which was the first one I really watched.

Although more to the point of the article, f*** #2

And Lloyd Barker has how many caps for Canada? No, mon.

Yeah, but he's on Canadian TV...and his Canadian co-host didn't call him on it. 

I don't think it was even a case of bringing up the controversy as much as condoning his actions.

Yeah, but he's on Canadian TV...and his Canadian co-host didn't call him on it. 

I don't think it was even a case of bringing up the controversy as much as condoning his actions.

Looking at some Canadian players, I wouldn't be surprised that they would have said the same thing.

Reason #2 should be reason to cheer AGAINST their teams.  Especially Begovic, who represented our U20 in 2007 in Canada, of all places. As for Jono, I've never considered him for the MNT as he played in Holland since he was 13 and already played for the Netherlands in the Beijing Olympics. So whatever; I just don't care about him. 

As for watching the other teams, I can't cheer for Honduras --- in fact I enjoyed seeing them lose to France.  Honduras simply cannot play in the WC like they do in CONCACAF:  aggressive dirty play (clutching, grabbing) with lots of simulation (phantom injuries) and complaining (and trying to intimidate the refs).    

Reason #2 should be reason to cheer AGAINST their teams.  Especially Begovic, who represented our U20 in 2007 in Canada, of all places. As for Jono, I've never considered him for the MNT as he played in Holland since he was 13 and already played for the Netherlands in the Beijing Olympics. So whatever; I just don't care about him. 

As for watching the other teams, I can't cheer for Honduras --- in fact I enjoyed seeing them lose to France.  Honduras simply cannot play in the WC like they do in CONCACAF:  aggressive dirty play (clutching, grabbing) with lots of simulation (phantom injuries) and complaining (and trying to intimidate the refs).    

I look forward to the day that no team in CONCACAF gets away with playing that way because right now it's more than just the Hondurans. On the other hand, those a-holes ceratinly have a history of pulling that stuff against Canada and might be the poster boys for all that is dirty and bush league about CONCACAF. For me it is total unabashed and unrepentant Schadenfreude that they showed exactly who they are on the world stage and the crowd went 180 degrees from supporting the underdogs to giving them thumbs down for making the beautiful game a lot uglier. 

That list is dumb. As if Canadians need an excuse to watch the World Cup. It's the World Cup. They would have more reason to watch it if the broadcaster with the rights in Canada did a better job of commentary and analysis and could do a better job of coming up with storylines and news than this tripe.

Man I'm in a grumpy mood tonight. But even if I wasn't, I would think that that was a poor attempt at news.

Archived