The Malaise of TFC Supporters Groups

Trillium

I have been following the Unite the South http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?36095-Unite-The-South-End/page6 thread on Red Patch Boys, and am frankly surprised at the apparent disfunction of the Supporters groups in Toronto.

It seems they have issues coming together as one group and working to "Unite", with the expenditure the club has made in players to improve the team, you would think the supporters would be thinking of growing their influence, it seems from the thread they are more into blaming TFC management for the poor atmosphere in the South end.

Apparently they SG's cannot absorb the number of "tourists" who buy tickets in the south end and the various groups do different chants at the same time.

Is this malaise going to spill over into a malaise of support for the U20 women ?

Can the various egos of TFC supporter leadership come together and drink the same flavour of KooK-Aid ?

Will the TFC supporters even travel in numbers to see TFC in Montreal for the August 1 long weekend game ?

Some of the TFC folks seem to feel UM02 is currently outdoing TFC groups in terms of stadia atmosphere chants, ( they certainly have better pyro, which I believe is banned by the SG's Toronto ).

It will be fun to watch the various national teams support in Brasil for world cup... perhaps the SG's at TFC will pick up some pointers from the Mexicans ?

Did you not hear? We're going to have 24K for the game against the Cosmos in the new stadium.

Nope. It doesn't jive with my narrow world view so i'll pretend it won't happen. Just like Trillium denying TFC's superiority.

So when will Ottawa succumb to their attendance woes and fold?

Not sure your comment is a defence of the malaise that is filling the comment boards for TFC, quite frankly what happens in Ottawa in the new stadium is to be written, seven or eight years hence you can ask the question. The real issue now is the apparent disfuncition in supporters groups in Toronto.

From what I understand and see at Fury Games the various supporters groups have taken the position of having one single kop and following a unified approach to support.

Perhaps you jpg75 want to address the issue in Toronto versus deflecting to others.

So where do you stand some simple questions.

1. Is jpg75 in favour of making the South Stand united ?

2. Is jpg75 in support of flares and smoke ?

3. Is jpg75 in support of rejecting tourists in the south stands ( which means telling folks in Liverpool or Man U jerseys to go away ) ?

Answer and figure out where you stand versus deflecting on a new club that is building its SG's on a basis of unity and holistic growth.

Or has it all gone south for TFC supporters like you jpg75, and all you have left is a lingering bitterness of what might have been if only the support had not be so plastic ?

Women up and tell us what you really believe about the battles between TFC supporters groups.

PS Are you going to Montreal for August weekend game and sitting in the East stand and cheering your club or will you opt for the cottage ?

Nope. It doesn't jive with my narrow world view so i'll pretend it won't happen. Just like Trillium denying TFC's superiority.

Oh dear if Toronto is superior in all ways, why did they not succeed in winning the V-Cup ?

Oh dear if Toronto is supeiror in all ways why did they not make the playoffs in 2013 ?

Seriously you have to ask yourself what is wrong with the supporters culture in TO when the comment boards are full of internal strife... or do you deny that exists ?

Not sure your comment is a defence of the malaise that is filling the comment boards for TFC, quite frankly what happens in Ottawa in the new stadium is to be written, seven or eight years hence you can ask the question. The real issue now is the apparent disfuncition in supporters groups in Toronto.

From what I understand and see at Fury Games the various supporters groups have taken the position of having one single kop and following a unified approach to support.

Perhaps you jpg75 want to address the issue in Toronto versus deflecting to others.

So where do you stand some simple questions.

1. Is jpg75 in favour of making the South Stand united ?

2. Is jpg75 in support of flares and smoke ?

3. Is jpg75 in support of rejecting tourists in the south stands ( which means telling folks in Liverpool or Man U jerseys to go away ) ?

Answer and figure out where you stand versus deflecting on a new club that is building its SG's on a basis of unity and holistic growth.

Or has it all gone south for TFC supporters like you jpg75, and all you have left is a lingering bitterness of what might have been if only the support had not be so plastic ?

Women up and tell us what you really believe about the battles between TFC supporters groups.

PS Are you going to Montreal for August weekend game and sitting in the East stand and cheering your club or will you opt for the cottage ?

No Doug, if that is your real name, my comments were not a deflection from your criticism they were an obvious attempt at trolling - much like your contributions to this thread thus far.

As for your questions you should ask someone who that applies to as I am not, nor have i ever been a south stand ticket holder. I am fan, i cheer for the team and bitch about the coach. Thats my M.O.

Oh dear if Toronto is superior in all ways, why did they not succeed in winning the V-Cup ?

Oh dear if Toronto is supeiror in all ways why did they not make the playoffs in 2013 ?

Seriously you have to ask yourself what is wrong with the supporters culture in TO when the comment boards are full of internal strife... or do you deny that exists ?

Lol, where have u been since the season started? Your team won 1 game in 11 tries and not a peep. Now you "win" the V's Cup and the trolling comes back...its like we can practically see the little gerbil riding the wheel in your head.

I have been following the Unite the South http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?36095-Unite-The-South-End/page6 thread on Red Patch Boys, and am frankly surprised at the apparent disfunction of the Supporters groups in Toronto.

It seems they have issues coming together as one group and working to "Unite", with the expenditure the club has made in players to improve the team, you would think the supporters would be thinking of growing their influence, it seems from the thread they are more into blaming TFC management for the poor atmosphere in the South end.

Apparently they SG's cannot absorb the number of "tourists" who buy tickets in the south end and the various groups do different chants at the same time.

Is this malaise going to spill over into a malaise of support for the U20 women ?

Can the various egos of TFC supporter leadership come together and drink the same flavour of KooK-Aid ?

Will the TFC supporters even travel in numbers to see TFC in Montreal for the August 1 long weekend game ?

Some of the TFC folks seem to feel UM02 is currently outdoing TFC groups in terms of stadia atmosphere chants, ( they certainly have better pyro, which I believe is banned by the SG's Toronto ).

It will be fun to watch the various national teams support in Brasil for world cup... perhaps the SG's at TFC will pick up some pointers from the Mexicans ?

All very interesting.  My guess is you would get the best answers if you posted these questions on the Red Patch Boys' or some other supporters group's forums.  This website is for the Canadian national team and related Canadian players, of which some play on Toronto FC.  Or did you forget all that during your time spent living under the bridge?

wow what is wrong with people's tones lately on here. You're all such a sensitive bunch. Trillium was just pointing out (with humour) an interesting fact about SG culture in Toronto...

Sure, Trillium has a boozy, poutiney charm about him, but underneath all that saucy humour is a TFC troll. Go check out Page 2 of this sub-forum and look for all the TFC trolling threads he started back in January and February.

Lol, where have u been since the season started? Your team won 1 game in 11 tries and not a peep. Now you "win" the V's Cup and the trolling comes back...its like we can practically see the little gerbil riding the wheel in your head.

Ottawa won the Voyageur's Cup?

All very interesting.  My guess is you would get the best answers if you posted these questions on the Red Patch Boys' or some other supporters group's forums.  This website is for the Canadian national team and related Canadian players, of which some play on Toronto FC.  Or did you forget all that during your time spent living under the bridge?

Bored in Dulles Airport.

Why would I sign onto to a specific supporters group site when I do not support the corporation, ( or the circus) they support ? 

Seriously give your head a shake, anything I say on a RedPatch Boyo's site would be discounted and I would ( rightly ) be banned. Now this site .. for Canadian soccer is where you comment on such issues, where the ebb and flow of logical debate can be appreciated and commented on. 

As to your assertion " this website is for the Canadian national team and related Canadian players, of which some play on Toronto FC.  Or did you forget all that during your time spent living under the bridge?" Your attempt to denigrate the traditional style of living by real Trolls is beneath you, can you not be a little be more open and accepting ?

If this web site and forum is about only national team activity then shut down the MLS, NASL other league threads..oh wait your not able to do that and protect your vision of what is ...because others see this a site for open and free discussion of soccer / football in Canada. 

I could call you a wanker and be fully justified in that labelling, but I am not sure your arm is long enough to be truly labelled one, if it is no problem, if you have a physical reason or mental one you cannot be labelled a wanker please tell me and I will seek out a more appropriate term ... Avro Arrow.. was that plane not kiboshed by the conservatives cause they did not want to produce the best aircraft in the world ... at its time ?

So you think the Impact winning the National championship is irrelevant ?

Shocking but the CCL leads to a World Club championship, your Nelson led TFC missed it, they may yet qualify for the MLS playoffs...if they do good for Canadian Soccer, but by doing so they are not Canadian Champions. I know you feel passionately about TFC .. fair dinkum as they say in Oz, but when you denegrate the national champioinship are you not following into a emotinoal trap of thinking Canada is not good enough in soccer ?

Go out watch some local games, donate some money to your local soccer club, run for a position on a soccer board.. support LTP, help grow the game, instead of drinking Kook Aid every weekend in the summer.

Bored in Dulles Airport.

Why would I sign onto to a specific supporters group site when I do not support the corporation, ( or the circus) they support ? 

Seriously give your head a shake, anything I say on a RedPatch Boyo's site would be discounted and I would ( rightly ) be banned. Now this site .. for Canadian soccer is where you comment on such issues, where the ebb and flow of logical debate can be appreciated and commented on. 

As to your assertion " this website is for the Canadian national team and related Canadian players, of which some play on Toronto FC.  Or did you forget all that during your time spent living under the bridge?" Your attempt to denigrate the traditional style of living by real Trolls is beneath you, can you not be a little be more open and accepting ?

If this web site and forum is about only national team activity then shut down the MLS, NASL other league threads..oh wait your not able to do that and protect your vision of what is ...because others see this a site for open and free discussion of soccer / football in Canada. 

I could call you a wanker and be fully justified in that labelling, but I am not sure your arm is long enough to be truly labelled one, if it is no problem, if you have a physical reason or mental one you cannot be labelled a wanker please tell me and I will seek out a more appropriate term ... Avro Arrow.. was that plane not kiboshed by the conservatives cause they did not want to produce the best aircraft in the world ... at its time ?

Sounds like I hit a sore spot.  I find it interesting that you say this forum is for open and free discussion, and then proceed with a bunch of name calling.  Carry on Trollium, carry on.  :)

So you think the Impact winning the National championship is irrelevant ?

...but when you denegrate the national champioinship are you not following into a emotinoal trap of thinking Canada is not good enough in soccer ?

Uh..put words in people's mouths much?

what a crazy thread.  trillium the new bad boy of the Vs board?  i miss soccerbeast, personally.  

anyway, there is no malaise, these are issues that come up every year but are really non issues.  the 2 main supporters groups, though very different in terms of approach / identity, have always cooperated.  personally im having more fun at the games this year than ever.  winning helps.  

one thing i will say, having recently been to the tfc-mtl game, is that the um02 were impressive in their efforts as usual.  there is unified, loud support.  there are flares and smoke.  tifos.  as it should be.  as a canadian soccer supporter, im happy to see that sustained growth (tho as a tfc supporter i have to detest you).  

Hallelujah!

what a crazy thread.  trillium the new bad boy of the Vs board?  i miss soccerbeast, personally.  

anyway, there is no malaise, these are issues that come up every year but are really non issues.  the 2 main supporters groups, though very different in terms of approach / identity, have always cooperated.  personally im having more fun at the games this year than ever.  winning helps.  

one thing i will say, having recently been to the tfc-mtl game, is that the um02 were impressive in their efforts as usual.  there is unified, loud support.  there are flares and smoke.  tifos.  as it should be.  as a canadian soccer supporter, im happy to see that sustained growth (tho as a tfc supporter i have to detest you). 

The original poster in this thread has an obvious and ongoing anti-TFC agenda, so the thread is a car wreck waiting to happen, if anyone takes the bait in the way he hopes they will. The malaise in Toronto was at the top not with the supporters group. No idea if Lewieke is an improvement the litmus test on that is if there is an opportunity down the road for new seating arrangements, but in the early years MLSE didn't embrace the supporters culture the way later expansion I/Os did, so there's no way that the TFC supporters groups can be expected to achieve what their counterparts in Philadelphia and Portland later did. Anselmi and co wanted to run TFC like a hockey franchise and simply didn't understand soccer's culture and at best humoured and tolerated while subtly trying to contain and minimize anything that deviated from the Maple Leafs cash cow to be ruthlessly milked type of scenario. Others elsewhere saw what happened in Toronto and understood that getting MLS to actually work wasn't about anything MLSE did but about exploiting the opportunities that Anselmi and co hadn't fully appreciated by going after a younger more urban fanbase and leaving behind the youth soccer minivan suburban SSS model that had been tried in Columbus and Dallas.

Given that the President of the RPB has posted the following statement and then locked the thread... you have to believe the so-called by BHTC Mike .... troll, ( and let us be very clear here, I do not post on RPB under any circumstances, and have no desire too ). But for those interested in open and transparent actions by any organized group in our society you have to wonder if the supporters groups at TFC have become a little too much like the corporate owners.

<< At RPB, we have taken years to implement structure and support for our team. We have looked to other supporters groups around the MLS and beyond to see what steps have been taken to strengthen support. As a result, we have incorporated our group as a not for profit and looked to comply by MLS rules for both home and away support. Our goal is to have strong support for any Toronto FC game within our league and contribute to Football culture and awareness. We work with the team to ensure continued access to our section when relocation season is here, and provide us access to our beloved team at our groups events. We also strive to have a place on the internet to discuss our boys in red, along with supporting charities and youth teams in the community.

Moving forward as a group, we are looking to enhance the support for the team and feel the first positive step is the installation of a roof on the south stand. It will help us unite in voice and really that is what is being asked in this thread. Merging the groups would be a long process that we are not ready to take that on at this point. It would require a board that represents the groups and represents its membership appropriately and require an election process that is fair. Other groups would have to agree to these terms in order to move forward however there are some pretty big divides existing in the attitudes towards support as it stands. Accountability is another major factor in this, we are doing our best at RPB to be accountable to our membership and team.

Our mandate for this season is to strengthen our voices in the stands with U-Sector who reside in the section next to us, as well as helping our other RPB sections in 111 and the top part of 110 that is shared with Original 109. Uniting these voices in the stands will be when we can examine the other challenges in Toronto FC supporting culture. The expansion of the stadium holds many exciting possibilities, a roof and maybe the chance to relocate. All of this is something that we have yet to be officially consulted on but I know for a fact that we will be sitting at the table when the team calls.

At this point we have a private members discussion dealing with the issue and this public one seems to invite accusations and drama, both things we don't need on the message board. We all look forward to supporting the team in the stands, either home or away with our brothers and sisters with Pride, Passion and Purpose.  >>

So clearly the leadership of RPB is concerned about the accusations and drama going on regarding supporter culture at TFC, that in the face of the poll showing 66% of folks eligible to respond to a RedPatchBoys Poll want to .."Unite the South".

So it seems the RPB folks have decided to ... hunker down and close off discussion in order to avoid drama.

Archived