MLS players in the offseason

RJB

It seems that Kenny Miller will be going to train with Rangers this offseason, and I'm just wondering why. Is the MLS season not long enough? Is it not hard enough? Henry is being rumoured to go back to Arsenal, and many players in the past have gone overseas in the offseason, which sends a message that the season here is not strenuous at all, and that they have much in the tank at the end. After all, European players don't go train with other clubs during their offseason, as they need the rest. Barry Robson is a case in point, as he would not report early to the 'Caps since he needed the time to recover.

Thoughts?

It is one of a steadily shortening list of things that still looks Mickey Mouse from my point of view. Players going off to play in "competitive" leagues the minute they can seemingly escape the confines of MLS

On the other hand, having somebody like Donovan shine at Everton sure makes it hard to discount the league in which he earns his bread and butter, and has undoubtedly changed a number of opinions along the way. I know that doesn't speak to your original suggestion, which I think is a valid one.

I know he had a rough year but surely he doesn't belong in the Scottish third division yet!

Since his Ranger days he's gone 2 years 67 games with 18 goals compared to his the previous 2 years 70 with 43 goals.

His performance has been cut in half. If he comes back to the 'Caps next year I expect double digits from a DP striker, and I highly doubt we can rely on him for that, unless he gets back to the form he had in '08-'10

By my count ten forwards spent all of 2012 in MLS on Designated Player contracts. Four got to 10 goals (Henry, Montero, Saborio, Keane). And this is a bit generous on my part, since if we added in some of the earlier-2012 guys it would be a massacre. Be careful to keep your expectations realistic.

Ten goals is a lot. Only thirteen players got there this past season.

By my count ten forwards spent all of 2012 in MLS on Designated Player contracts. Four got to 10 goals (Henry, Montero, Saborio, Keane). And this is a bit generous on my part, since if we added in some of the earlier-2012 guys it would be a massacre. Be careful to keep your expectations realistic.

Ten goals is a lot. Only thirteen players got there this past season.

I think over 10 goals is a very realistic expectation of a DP forward, indeed I would call it a modest expectation. What your statistic shows is that the teams are not doing a very good job of selecting DP forwards.

I think over 10 goals is a very realistic expectation of a DP forward, indeed I would call it a modest expectation. What your statistic shows is that the teams are not doing a very good job of selecting DP forwards.

This is what I tend to agree with.

Miller with his 2 in 11 would of been on pace for maybe 6 in a full 34, so for him to keep Vancouver afloat he'll have to double his scoring rate at the very least.

if a wage is the primary indicator of how a player's production should be judged, Thierry Henry is one of worst DPs ever

In that case it's not a realistic expectation by definition, as it's one that is usually not met.

• 1 month later...

EPL last year had 21guys 10+ goals

La Liga Sam 21guys 10+ goals

Ligue 1 had 14 guys

Bundesliga 18 guys

Serie A 19guys

Eredivise 19guys

Now those are Top Flight European leagues with budgets we cannot compete. Having a DP is great but without support he is worthless. There is a saying in Poland that even Hercules is crap if the odds are against him.

Lets look at leagues closer to MLS

Polish Ekstraklasa 6guys 10+ goals a season

Austria 7guys

Belgium 14guys

Czech Rep. 8guys

Denmark 6guys

Greece 8guys

Turkey 18guys mind you Turkey clubs have lots of money lately

All numbers taken from www.soccervista.com 2011/2012 season

MLS 2011 apparently had 15guys while in season of 2012 there were 13guys not sure if they include playoffs and what not

Archived