Goal Scorers in Europe 2011-2012

GOALS SCORED STATISTICS FOR CANADIANS IN EUROPE

2011 - 2012

Strike rate calculated as goals scored per 90 minutes. Goals counted only in the domestic league first team at the professional level (2011 summer leagues and 2011-2012 winter leagues). Players are added to the list once they score at least 2 goals on the season. Please post videos of goals and your comments. I will do my best to update the list on a weekly basis.

Updated May 24, 2012

Player (club)--------------------Goals--------Mins------Rate

Olivier Occean (Fürth)------------17----------2938-----0.52

REB (Oulu/Braunschweig)--------16---------1909-----0.72

Iain Hume (Preston)--------------9----------1882-----0.43

Junior Hoilett (Blackburn)---------7----------2954-----0.21

Tomasz Radzinski (Waasland)----6-----------728-----0.74

Riley ONeill (MyPa)----------------6----------1603-----0.34

Tosaint Ricketts (Timişoara)------5-----------812------0.55

Frank Jonke (Inter Turku)--------3-----------844------0.32

Simeon Jackson (Norwich)--------3-----------941------0.29

Patrice Bernier (Lyngby)----------2----------1026------0.18

Marcus Haber (St. Johnstone)----2----------1549------0.12

Josh Simpson (Young Boys)------2----------1725-----0.10

David Edgar (Burnley)------------2----------3933------0.05

Leaders by strike rate

1. Tomasz Radzinski (0.74)

2. Randy Edwini-Bonsu (0.72)

3. Tosaint Ricketts (0.55)

4. Olivier Occean (0.52)

5. Iain Hume (0.43)

6. Riley O'Neill (0.34)

7. Frank Jonke (0.32)

8. Simeon Jackson (0.29)

9. Junior Hoilett (0.21)

10. Patrice Bernier (0.18)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A picture tells a thousand words. Nice highlights. But i would be more impressed if these highlights showed a setting other than:

1) a pitch with football gridlines.

2) a road or highway behind the net.

3) a forest behind the nets. Reminds me of some of the beer leagues ive played in.

4) stands that are sparse and with crowds sizes that are similar to what you might find at a semi pro game or CSL game.

5) Stands that are samller than what you get at Centenial park where the Lynx used to play and where the CSL teams now occupy.

6) Amateurish defending and tactics. Why were there two defenders standing on the goal line on that flick. Yes i know it was probably a corner but WTF?

These kind of things speak volumes about the level of Competiveness of the sides he is facing and the enviroment he is playing in, the CSL backgound and setting looks more professional. Someone also needs to explain to me why highly touted canadians are better off playing in Finland ( a league that ranks 22nd in the uEfa coefficient) as opposed to being with the Whitecaps? The Finnish league stands just two spots ahead of Ireland as far as the UEFA coeficient.

I've been extremely impresesed with what i saw of Lindsay last year. Thats not an argument over whose better or who will be better. But right now, judging on pedigree, id have to give Lindsay the edge. Of course that is if there is no adverse residual effects to his season ending injury. No way can i take a canadian prospect seriously who is playing in that kind on environment. There are at least six or seven facilities In Toronto alone that look more professional than what i am seeing from that video of finland matches.

I don't entirely disagree with your sentiments, but remember Oulu plays in the second division of Finland, so is it that much worse than NASL (where REB trialed and didn't catch on) just based on the background, I dont know. Fact is he is scoring at that level at a high rate, and maybe he should be playing higher up if he is to continue his development. Also, this is not a thread about CSL versus the lower European leagues.

Amateurish defending can happen in top flight leagues, Andy Iro anyone ?

Not much worst than NASL? I might be inclined to say, not much worst than CSL. The level of professionalism of the environment has a direct correlation to the competitiveness and level of play in that league. i dont think anyone can question that. BTW I have wiki'ed a few first div clubs and it doesn't look drastically better. Yet this league is ranked 22nd to 28th in Europe depending on sources. There are an equal amount Of leagues in UEFA ranked lower. Every game I have seen in Concacaf champions league (ie. Nicaragua, panama, honduras..etc) looks more professional.

This explains why i have never been totally comfortable with the "Canadians abroad" threads. The bigger, recognized leagues and clubs? fine, but otherwise Its kind of hypocritical through it mere existence because there could be local talent that is more noteworthy. For far too long, we have taken the view that you are an unknown until you go to Europe, but i think you should remain unknown if go to those kind of places. For years we have given recognition to players for the mere fact that they have been playing abroad. I wonder how often this has not been lost on our national team selectors (especially at the U17 and U20) who may have overlooked domestic talent (even CSL) for no other reason than what is known and what has been given recognition to? Talent that could have used boost. There is no way that they could possible assess the competitiveness and comparative caliber of play of the environment of one player versus another so while some guy in that environment may look like Messi thats because he is not playing in the same environment as Messi. I doubt that they have all that much more info to go by than we do.

Dont get me wrong, I am not questioning your post or motivation to post this information. it is enlightening. But what is point in bringing recognition to players in these kind of environment if we are going to completely ignore NASL or even CSL? To me its akin to the phenomena of the popularity of the back up quarter back. when disappointed, people take comfort in the unknown over the known. None of us have seen or even known of many of these clubs.

American soccer fans have similar list and attitude or inferiority complex and Last years Don Garber (MLS commish) was quoted that he did believe in it or buy the "americans abroad thing". And I agree with him. To each his own, I have no issue your thread or post nor with news of player movements and people interest in reporting it except when that link is made to the national teams. I don't feel that movement of some guy in the third latter on English soccer has any bearing on our national team's prospects and wince when that association is made between those players and International soccer.

Based on what I saw in that video ID have to say that players like Teibert, Fisk, Lindsay, Henry, Stinson and Morgan or more worthy of following and higher on the pecking order.

That MyPa kit looks right outta Nascar! Love it. Haha.

Hey, if these guys are scoring at a good clip in that league higher level teams will get them as goal scorers are hard to find. Heck, Shane Long scores loads in the Championship last year - he's right back in the Prem now.

Wow. That first video (Riley Oneil) is hilarious because the setting looks even more bush league than the one for REB. And I didn't think that that was possible. That looks like the standards of the Hershey center in Mississauga, never mind CSL, where the nationals were hosted last year. That cant qualify as a soccer stadium. It has about six rows of benches in the middle of the pitch and a residential background. A supporters group of rough six guys which is quite a bit smaller than you will see at matches for some clubs like SWE or Toronto Croatia in the CSL.

And WOW, as you said, the defenders and marking! Those guys (defenders) must have been drunk or hung over.

What kind of money could these guy possibly make in that kind of environment? There is no way its professional. And don't tell me about television money, if nobody is in the stands, you can be sure there is not much more watching on television. So whats that worth in country of three million people. How could these clubs make money to pay these players?

There are some serious problems with the soccer structures and infrastructures of soccer in western Canada, if kind of environment in Finland is deemed preferable to what is present locally for these players. These videos have been certainly insightful.

That MyPa kit looks right outta Nascar! Love it. Haha.

Hey, if these guys are scoring at a good clip in that league higher level teams will get them as goal scorers ow.

but i am not sure anybody will ever bother looking at players of level professionalism and setting. Why bother and who will look? It looks so bush that next possible level will still be bush league by even Canadian and American standards (ie.: USL, Nasl).

but i am not sure anybody will ever bother looking at players of level professionalism and setting. Why bother and who will look? Is looks so bush that next possible level will still be bush league by even canadian and american standards (ie.: USL, Nasl).

Two words: Tosaint Ricketts

Yes FK, Finland is a bush league, we get it.

Actually, I don't think we do get it. How often do we see posts chastising TFC for not looking at so and so player?

Finland is just an example. There are others that i am sure are similar.

Edit.: in fact, i think that there are quite few and maybe the vast majority on MOCA that are similar or not much better.

Two words: Tosaint Ricketts

OK, lets see:

Romania

Tosaint Ricketts - FC Timisoara (Romanian Ligi II) (2)

I stand by my point.

I'd like to see video of that setting where Tousaint Ricketts plays. Funny how no one would ever think of bringing up, say, Andrea Lombardo. But is there any reason why Ricketts is more noteworthy of recognition or following than some guy like Reda Agguram who was tearing up the CSL a few years ago? or Andrea Lombardo?

If Agguram struggled at his first steps/year in the NASL for the Impact, then what value could those guys in Europe that we mentioned in this thread possible bring to a NASL/MLS team? and by extension what value could they bring to our international fortunes if they are not even on a MLS or NASL/USL radar.

As I said, MOCA looks be a labor or love for some here. and thats ok. BUT, every once in while, lets recognize it for what it is in the bigger picture. Somebody has to say it.

OK, lets see:

Romania

I stand by my point.

I'd like to see video of that setting where Tousaint Ricketts plays. Funny how no one would ever think of bringing up, say, Andrea Lombardo. But is there any reason why Ricketts is more noteworthy of recognition or following than some guy like Reda Agguram who was tearing up the CSL a few years ago? or Andrea Lombardo?

If Agguram struggled at his first steps/year in the NASL for the Impact, then what value could those guys in Europe that we mentioned in this thread possible bring to a NASL/MLS team? and by extension what value could they bring to our international fortunes if there are not even on a MLS or NASL/USL radar.

As I said, MOCA looks be a labour or love for some here. and thats ok. BUT lets recognize it for what it is in the bigger picture. Somebody has to say it.

I get it. But there is the chance every once in a while that somebody gets noticed from one of these bush leagues. Looks what happened to Issey and you get why I like following Jordan Webb. Same goes for a Riley O'Neill walking in Ricketts' shoes.

And we all know that Ricketts went from Finland to former Romanian champions, hardly tisk-worthy including the presumed crack at European football, etc. They were recently relegated for non-football reasons, as you damn well know, and he is actively persuing options to escape this new level of football that is presumably well below him. Weird of you to throw him under the bus in all of this.

Yes, we all know the chance to make dreams come true from world football's least glamorous outposts are slim, but it's exactly the fact that it does happen with some regularity that makes it so fun to follow for so many of us.

OK, lets see:

Romania

I stand by my point.

As Nolando pointed out, Timisoara were relegated for non-footballing reasons ie. financial irregularities. Ricketts would be playing for one of the top Romanian 1st Division clubs right now, so your reply is completely off base.

BTW, there are thread on Canucks playing MLS and NASL in each of those forums so there is no bias in tracking.

As Nolando pointed out, Timisoara were relegated for non-footballing reasons ie. financial irregularities. Ricketts would be playing for one of the top Romanian 1st Division clubs right now, so your reply is completely off base.

Completely Off base hey?

Well, to my knowledge, i am not aware of of any CSL team that was ever kicked out of the CSL for financial irregularities, same goes for our NASL/USL teams. When we say bush league, there are many ways other than the visible bricks and mortar to define that. I would be equally concerned with players playing leagues and clubs that are rife with reported match fixing scandals although that has even happened in Serie A. And we do have player(s) at those clubs and leagues.

But you see my point? I would have let your comment go but when you "said completely off base" then i just couldnt resist. It doesn't change the fact that it says Romania div 2 instead of Div 1.

Completely Off base hey?

Well, to my knowledge, i am not aware of of any CSL team that was ever kicked out of the CSL for financial irregularities, same goes for our NASL/USL teams. When we say bush league, there are many ways other than the visible bricks and mortar to define that. I would be equally concerned with players playing leagues and clubs that are rife with reported match fixing scandals although that has even happened in Serie A. And we do have player(s) at those clubs and leagues.

But you see my point? I would have let your comment go but when you "said completely off base" then i just couldnt resist. It doesn't change the fact that it says Romania div 2 instead of Div 1.

Let's judge the leagues by the play on the field and not whether there is a forest in the background... Finland is a small country and like Canada it is the only other country in the world where hockey is the #1 sport. With that in mind you need to consider why the team may not play in a 20,000 all seater. I would say that Finland is at least at NASL level, from what I've seen the players are more technically skilled in Finland but maybe not as athletic.

Just to change the subject, have any of you tried going to FC Temisoara web page i get this message from McAfee when I tried it through the link in Wikipedia

How about we stop changing the subjects of threads, mmmkay?

This is to discuss goal scorers in Europe. Not the minutiae of the relative strengths of leagues and the problems encountered when trying to go to certain websites.

Completely Off base hey?

No, CSL clubs only throw games so they can clean up in the Croatian betting houses. Much less bush league.

Dude, did you seriously have to hijack a relatively innocuous thread about Canucks scoring in Europe to push an agenda about NA vs. Europe? If you care so much about NA soccer then do something positive like educating other V's about our players in those leagues. Post more in the Canucks in MLS or NASL threads, contribute in the "Other Leagues" forum. Open up a thread about the TFC Academy team, or a thread about the top CSL youth prospects. Those would be good starts.

80% of Finnish football reveues come from sponsorship. This is true of most smaller European Leagues, and even in big leagues, less than 40% comes from attendance. Oulu is a city of 140,000 and their stadium is significantly better for soccer than anything we have in Saskatoon at nealry twice the size. We do have two that hold more, but they are for pointy ball and the capacity is based on attendees having the average girth of a supermodel. Half of the U of S's stadium stands are on par with Oulu's structurally, although it is bench seating unlike Oulu's stadium seating.

A picture tells a thousand words. Nice highlights. But i would be more impressed if these highlights showed a setting other than:

1) a pitch with football gridlines.

2) a road or highway behind the net.

3) a forest behind the nets. Reminds me of some of the beer leagues ive played in.

4) stands that are sparse and with crowds sizes that are similar to what you might find at a semi pro game or CSL game.

5) Stands that are samller than what you get at Centenial park where the Lynx used to play and where the CSL teams now occupy.

6) Amateurish defending and tactics. Why were there two defenders standing on the goal line on that flick. Yes i know it was probably a corner but WTF?

These kind of things speak volumes about the level of Competiveness of the sides he is facing and the enviroment he is playing in, the CSL backgound and setting looks more professional. Someone also needs to explain to me why highly touted canadians are better off playing in Finland ( a league that ranks 22nd in the uEfa coefficient) as opposed to being with the Whitecaps? The Finnish league stands just two spots ahead of Ireland as far as the UEFA coeficient.

I've been extremely impresesed with what i saw of Lindsay last year. Thats not an argument over whose better or who will be better. But right now, judging on pedigree, id have to give Lindsay the edge. Of course that is if there is no adverse residual effects to his season ending injury. No way can i take a canadian prospect seriously who is playing in that kind on environment. There are at least six or seven facilities In Toronto alone that look more professional than what i am seeing from that video of finland matches.

Of the points you raise 1-6, only 6 is relevant. The quality of football is not related to the quality of the stadium. As to point six, see IRO, Andy. Basically, what you know about the Finnish second division is SFA - equally true for all of us btw.

As to your prose, if 90% of the Canadians overseas came home, they would play where exactly? There are four professional teams in Canada. If 100% of Canadians overseas came back home, 90% of our current professional footballers would not have jobs. As for REB specifically - he and the Whitecaps parted ways - mutally it is said. The Whitecaps did not want him on their MLS roster, and he wanted to eat. That is why a highly touted Canadian is playing in Finland 2. Now, I personally think REB is MLS material from my few sightings of him. Skillwise, very debatable, but he is very fast and MLS is an athletes league where there are a number of player in the league more for their physical attributes than their level of skill. The Caps thought otherwise and they are the ones paying the salaries so they really do get to make that decision. There are only so many young Canucks that Edmonton can have on the roster. And he did get minutes at the NASL level as a teenager. For the record, right Now, the Portland Timber have 16 Americans on their roster, and Seattle 17. I am sure I'd see similar numbers for for every other american MLS team. Remind me how many Vancouver carry?

Edit - the reference to Iro was simply by way of illustration. Anyone watching youtube highlights of the TFC DCU game and drawing conclusion about the quality of MLS defending - and Iro was not the only weakish defender on the field - would probably have a faulty perception of the quality of the league arise. That is my point, none of us have a clue about where the Finnish second division lies in relationship to our noth american structure.

Archived