Canada is ranked #76 in the world according to the FIFA as of April 2011. Do any of the 75 nations that are ranked above us seed their clubs for their national championship based on the standings of a year ago?

Does Spain seed Barcelona #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does Holland seed Ajax #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does Brazil seed Fluminese #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does Germany seed Borussia Dortmund #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does Argentina seed Estudiantes #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does England seed Manchester United #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does Uruguay seed Penarol #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does Portugal seed FC Porto #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does Italy seed AC Milan #1 in their upcoming competition?

Does Croatia seed Dinamo Zagreb #1 in their upcoming competition?

The answer to the top ten countries listed above is NO. The same holds true for the next 65 best nations in the World. So why does the CSA use following rule for their four-club national championship?

3. Teams will be seeded according to their final position their respective leagues ~ Major League

Soccer teams first followed by NASL (or equivalent). Where more than four teams are eligible for

entry into the Nutrilite Canadian Championship a play-in competition will be organised by the CSA

in the fall prior to the Nutrilite Canadian Championships. Major League Soccer clubs will receive

a bye direct to the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

Seeding in first-world soccer nations is only used in FA cup competitions to avoid the likes of Barcelona meeting Real Madrid in the first round, but those clubs are not seeded with a number that favours one over the other. Just imagine the outrage something that so unfair would cause in those countries. Unfortunately, here in Canada we allow the inexperienced or corrupt CSA (take your pick) to implement such a system without questioning it. Why is that? And when some one does question it, an extreme defensive stance is taken towrads (like pointing out typos) that person. If there is no validity to those questions, then why the vehement defenceness?

Seeding in first-world soccer nations is only used in FA cup competitions to avoid the likes of Barcelona meeting Real Madrid in the first round...

BZZZZZZT

Sorry Wrong answer.

Clubs in the English Premier League do not enter the FA Cup until a couple of rounds have already ben played by lower division clubs. Also MLS teams enter the US Open Cup later in the competition as well. This has nothing to do with meeting top-flight opponents in the early rounds.

So all this moral indignation stems from the simple fact that the CSA seeded TFC first in a 4-team competition. Man, I hope no one actually wrongs you at some point in the future.

The funny part is that next year, the seeding will benefit both TFC and VWC (the Barcalona and Real Madrid of Canadian pro soccer... by default). So next year, VWC could be the beneficiary of the seeding rule and get drawn with FC Edmonton, the 'minnows' of our competition. Curious if you will be on here whining and moaning as loudly.

Either way, good luck on your soap box. Just be careful not to fall off. It can be a long way down...

BZZZZZZT

Sorry Wrong answer.

Clubs in the English Premier League do not enter the FA Cup until a couple of rounds have already ben played by lower division clubs. Also MLS teams enter the US Open Cup later in the competition as well. This has nothing to do with meeting top-flight opponents in the early rounds.

Not just a couple of rounds. A LOT of Rounds (14 in total). There's 6 Qualifying Rounds, and then there's the "1st" and "2nd Rounds" which do not include Championship or Premier League sides. The top teams don't enter until the "3rd Round" of the FA Cup.

If they were numbered in order, the Premier League sides don't enter until the 9th Round of the 14 round tournament.

Italy does indeed seed teams for the Copa Italia, based on the previous seasons standings in the domestic leagues.

Exactly. I'm too lazy to dig up the seedings for EVERY competition mentioned by Robert in the original post, but since the Coppa Italia was specifically mentioned, here's the seeding format for the 2010-11 competition:

Teams entered the competition at various stages, as follows:

* First phase (one-legged fixtures)

o First round: 36 teams from Lega Pro and Serie D started the tournament

o Second round: the 18 winners from the previous round were joined by the 22 Serie B teams

o Third round: the 20 winners from the second round met the 12 Serie A sides seeded 9-20

o Fourth round: the 16 survivors face each other

* Second phase

o Round of 16 (one-legged): the 8 fourth round winners were inserted into a bracket with the Serie A clubs seeded 1-8

o Quarterfinals (one-legged)

o Semifinals (two-legged)

* Final at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome

Note the bolded sentences above, which state that the Serie A teams are not only seeded, but seeded according to finish from their previous campaign.

I know Robert won't actually acknowledge that he's wrong on this, but it's good to throw this out there. I'm sure he's already furiously looking for another angle to bitch about since he's clearly wrong on this one (and was proven wrong in the "Clearly Canadian" thread regarding the lightning/pitch-flooding/match replay angle).

The Italian example is as good as any to work with. Yes, a seeding system is used in some FA competitions, which was my initial point when I questioned the validity of a Canadian team being allowed to enter the CONCACAF's Champions League. Seeding in sports is done to avoid certain teams from being drawn against each other at an early stage of a competition. I have no problem with that. I don't think it has ever happened that in any competition where there are 16 seeded clubs that all the seeded teams have made it to the round of 16. This means that there were at least just as many unseeded clubs that were entered in the draw. In the CSA's Nutrilite Canadian Championship all four of the clubs that entered the competition were seeded, which means there was no draw conducted, which defeats the purpose of seeding. This makes the entire Nutrilite Canadian Championship a CSA choreographed production. The seeding according to the CSA's rule, which I copied at the start of this thread, is not detailed with a specific information that shows how the seeding is arrived at, which leaves the door open to manipulation. The only detail given is: "Teams will be seeded according to their final position their respective leagues." What does this mean? The team that accumulates the most points during the regular season gets the higher seeding? What happens if a team with less points makes the play-off? What happens if teams finish level on points during the regular season? Obviously these rules were slapped together at the last moment and leave everybody guessing when a situation arises. Then, once again, the CSA can make up the rules as it wishes, to suit its own needs. There's a reason were ranked #76 in the World, and I'm not that reason Rudi.

^ And the reason we're ranked #76 is sure as **** not due to the fact that the V's Cup competition was not 'seeded' to your liking.

Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. I, Robert, am a giant tool. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. I haven't made a single legitimate argument in my sad little life. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp. Blah blah blah, herp derp herp derp, teedley tum ta too, derpa herp, blah blah derp.

I was going to make an argument again, but then I just decided to make this:

totalvoetball.jpg

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why the Netherlands are ranked 2nd in the world.

I was going to make an argument again, but then I just decided to make this:

totalvoetball.jpg

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why the Netherlands are ranked 2nd in the world.

He's on my ignore list but this is one of those times where I just can't resist hitting the view post button because his psychotic ramblings are comedy gold.

The world needs more towrads.

The Italian example is as good as any to work with. Yes, a seeding system is used in some FA competitions, which was my initial point when I questioned the validity of a Canadian team being allowed to enter the CONCACAF's Champions League. Seeding in sports is done to avoid certain teams from being drawn against each other at an early stage of a competition. I have no problem with that. I don't think it has ever happened that in any competition where there are 16 seeded clubs that all the seeded teams have made it to the round of 16. This means that there were at least just as many unseeded clubs that were entered in the draw. In the CSA's Nutrilite Canadian Championship all four of the clubs that entered the competition were seeded, which means there was no draw conducted, which defeats the purpose of seeding. This makes the entire Nutrilite Canadian Championship a CSA choreographed production. The seeding according to the CSA's rule, which I copied at the start of this thread, is not detailed with a specific information that shows how the seeding is arrived at, which leaves the door open to manipulation. The only detail given is: "Teams will be seeded according to their final position their respective leagues." What does this mean? The team that accumulates the most points during the regular season gets the higher seeding? What happens if a team with less points makes the play-off? What happens if teams finish level on points during the regular season? Obviously these rules were slapped together at the last moment and leave everybody guessing when a situation arises. Then, once again, the CSA can make up the rules as it wishes, to suit its own needs. There's a reason were ranked #76 in the World, and I'm not that reason Rudi.

So I guess the NHL playoffs are entirely choreographed, and the NBA Finals, and the NFL Playoffs...etc.

You're right Robert, all the sports in North America are fixed, and fixed by the Canadian Soccer Association to boot.

Not just a couple of rounds. A LOT of Rounds (14 in total)... the Premier League sides don't enter until the 9th Round of the 14 round tournament.

Wow, I had no idea it was that many.

Anyway, Up the Towrads! (Where can I get a Towrads AFC Jersey?)

See, you just never know who's reading our threads, and that is why I really appreciate it when you Towrads correct me on my typos. Why is it that this reminds me of the movie "twelve angry men." Anyone seen it?

Fast fact: the Last article about Nepotism and Towrads is the 2nd highest ranked google link on the topic of Towrads.

Up the Towrads!

See, you just never know who's reading our threads, and that is why I really appreciate it when you Towrads correct me on my typos. Why is it that this reminds me of the movie "twelve angry men." Anyone seen it?

Does that make you the one stubborn juror who finally breaks down at the end?

Archived