Does the term "expansion" mean anything in MLS?

Personally, I don't get it. Unlike the NHL, NBA, & NFL, MLS is nowhere near the top of the developmental food chain for players. If every MLS player retired tomorrow, ignoring domestic restrictions, the entire league could be restaffed in an offseason. I would guess there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of MLS ready players around the globe who can fit into the current salary cap structure. Obviously some of these players will be better suited for the league than others based on their size, speed, fitness, etc. But overall, the only limitation I see on an expansion side is the quality of their domestic players.

I was just enjoying a moment of Schadenfreude reading some message boards completely losing it that an expansion side scored a bunch of goals against their club. But it seems to me that every MLS club starts the season as a bit of a new club and though differentiating factors may exist (quality of the academy/luck of the draw at the draft) generally the performance on the field is a direct result of the quality of the scouting/coaching. Am I missing something?

But it seems to me that every MLS club starts the season as a bit of a new club and though differentiating factors may exist (quality of the academy/luck of the draw at the draft) generally the performance on the field is a direct result of the quality of the scouting/coaching. Am I missing something?

Getting the best personnel available without overpaying for it in a salary cap league certainly stands out.

Personally, I don't get it. Unlike the NHL, NBA, & NFL, MLS is nowhere near the top of the developmental food chain for players. If every MLS player retired tomorrow, ignoring domestic restrictions, the entire league could be restaffed in an offseason. I would guess there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of MLS ready players around the globe who can fit into the current salary cap structure. Obviously some of these players will be better suited for the league than others based on their size, speed, fitness, etc. But overall, the only limitation I see on an expansion side is the quality of their domestic players.

I was just enjoying a moment of Schadenfreude reading some message boards completely losing it that an expansion side scored a bunch of goals against their club. But it seems to me that every MLS club starts the season as a bit of a new club and though differentiating factors may exist (quality of the academy/luck of the draw at the draft) generally the performance on the field is a direct result of the quality of the scouting/coaching. Am I missing something?

It's worth pointing out that the Whitecaps are more like a promoted team than an expansion team, but your point is a good one.

Good points. Another part of this is the misconception of talent pool dilution that is constantly trotted out by american fans when arguing against further expansion. It's so shortsighted because it's a global market for players. Vancouver doesn't have to rely on the cast-offs from an expansion draft. They can go out and get quality players like Hassli etc.

When Toronto FC was first formed I knew we had a chance to be competitive from the start I've never bought into this "oh its year blah blah" and now we've watched San Jose and Seattle both make the playoffs before us. This is a league where you can re-tool your team in months with the right management.

This is a league where you can re-tool your team in months with the right management.

Bingo. Give the man a cigar (or beer). With the right management you can do wonders in a short period of time. In order of importance (IHMO)

1) Management (including coach)

2) Scouting

3) Academy

4) NCAA Draft

The Caps, Timbers and Sounders are all expansion teams a decade in the making whereas TFC & Philidelphia would be more traditional true expansion teams.

Good points. Another part of this is the misconception of talent pool dilution that is constantly trotted out by american fans when arguing against further expansion. It's so shortsighted because it's a global market for players. Vancouver doesn't have to rely on the cast-offs from an expansion draft. They can go out and get quality players like Hassli etc.

But there is a limited number of American and Canadian players, and with nationality quotas on MLS teams that does actually put a "limit" on the number of available ones available - though I get what you are saying about a global market.

But there is a limited number of American and Canadian players, and with nationality quotas on MLS teams that does actually put a "limit" on the number of available ones available - though I get what you are saying about a global market.

I meant to add that MLS can loosen import restrictions as they see fit and they certainly have done over the past few years

The best case I've ever heard against the "diluted" talent pool. Of course, I've been saying the talent pool hasn't been diluted for awhile now.

It's a myth. If anything, it's increasing in size due to more opportunities. This isn't the NHL where development in the sport is restricted to a few countries. When the whole world is producing footballers, there are a lot slipping through the cracks. North America, by pros per total footballing pop (per capita if you will), is likely the most underrepresented in the footballing world.

There will always be players looking for a fresh start someplace new, I guess the trick is finding the right player at the right price before the 15,000 clubs out there with bigger budgets than an MLS franchises does. Easy to say, hard to do.

The market value of an organization and a league has to play a lot in the mind of a player when deciding to move to one location or other. For some players Russian money will never be enough to make the move to Russia. For others playing for a franchise in MLS holds no appeal.

The best case I've ever heard against the "diluted" talent pool. Of course, I've been saying the talent pool hasn't been diluted for awhile now.

It's a myth. If anything, it's increasing in size due to more opportunities. This isn't the NHL where development in the sport is restricted to a few countries. When the whole world is producing footballers, there are a lot slipping through the cracks. North America, by pros per total footballing pop (per capita if you will), is likely the most underrepresented in the footballing world.

Completely agree. If we had MLS in Van/Tor/Mtl, NASL in Edm/Cgy/Ham, and PDL in Vic/Sas/Reg/Wnd/Lon/Kit/Hfx, all that would do is FINALLY give a decent launch pad to the good athletes we already have in Canada playing soccer. More pro clubs create more opportunities. After all, the Australians are only 20 million people, yet look at the Olympic athletes they produce, and the FOUR major pro leagues (rugby, Aussie, soccer, cricket) their small country can support.

Archived