Video of A Classic Moment in MNT History Canada 4 Libya 2

Grizzly

Gaddafi's son Saadi played for the first half and a bit of the 2nd. During his substitution he shook the hand of every Canadian player both on the pitch and on the bench, apparently to show the appreciation of the regime for coming to Tripoli to play. Interesting given the current circumstances in that country. Saadi was the captain of the national team and played for several years in the Libyan first division. Later he played one game each for Perugia and Udinese although his father's money certainly must have played a role in this. He also tested positive for steriods while he was with Perugia.

LOL. Yeah, that was a bit of an oddity.

Video quality of that clip sure as Hell beats what I got on my bootleg but ah well, was happy to get it at the time. Take any vid of Canada winning!

Seem to recall the rumours at the time suggesting the CSA received a $500K USD appearance fee for the fixture. If true that has to be a record appearance fee for Canada, and I'm left wondering if the payment was made in large denomination US notes stuffed into plain brown envelopes.

Video quality of that clip sure as Hell beats what I got on my bootleg but ah well, was happy to get it at the time. Take any vid of Canada winning!

Seem to recall the rumours at the time suggesting the CSA received a $500K USD appearance fee for the fixture. If true that has to be a record appearance fee for Canada, and I'm left wondering if the payment was made in large denomination US notes stuffed into plain brown envelopes.

Maybe we should play other despot nations to fund our soccer program in that case? :D

Who is up for a North Korea away trip?

It should be the same quality as it is from the same source - namely myself. I distributed the VHS copies to the various V's back in the day (unless you got an additional generation copy from someone else) and I uploaded this footage on to youtube ("Xaxorphian" is indeed me - it's actually already linked to somewhere in the classic Canada video stickied thread - not that this doesn't deserve a thread on its own, its definitely generated the most comments on youtube of any of the clips that I have uploaded). I think it probably looks better because the picture has been shrunk so the fuzziness of the original is not as apparent.

This guy is TFC DP material.

Less ego than Chad Barrett, he might fit in. He is probably looking for a career outside Libya.

Unlike Nelly Furtado:

http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/Nelly+recovers+with+donation/4370638/story.html

that dough's not going to be donated to charity.

• 1 year later...

Archived