FC Edmonton V. Toronto FC

I can't wait. We (ESG) are going to have to be out in full force, I expect a decent contingent from TO to come down. Looks like the return leg is a week later at BMO. Disappointing that it won't be on a Saturday as it makes travel plans a bit of an issue.

I think with the right amount of marketing, we can get 20K for this match. That would be a massive success in my books. If the club gets the word out there and starts advertising this locally, 20K is attainable. I know the ESG will do their best to get the word out. The club has a chance to reach out to a large group of Edmonton amateur soccer fans and players from March 30th to April 13, at the Edmonton Mini World Cup (probably the largest amateur tournament in Edmonton). Historically, this tournament is well attended, and would be a massive opportunity to gain some exposure.

I can't wait. We (ESG) are going to have to be out in full force, I expect a decent contingent from TO to come down.

On a Wednesday? I doubt it.

Looking forward to seeing you guys out in full force, though. Hope this kick starts a great thing out there in Edmonton.

You bet. It woudl be a hell of a trip. Again, even though it is a Wednsday, I'm sure myself and the rest of the ESG boys who make the trek would love to come down to the Duke for a few pints pre match.

Once you guys have your travel plans shored up, drop me a PM.

I will have to wait and see how my schedule is. Likely will conflict with my youth coaching duties given it is the last week of April but nothing is set yet.

From a selfish standard, I'm disappointed Vancouver and Edmonton weren't drawn against each other. There were quite a few Southsiders who were very excited about the prospect of a mere 90-minute flight to Edmonton for a competitive match against a new, western Canadian club. Many had already tentatively penciled it in, and were planning on taking the Wednesday and Thursday off from work.

Oh well, now we'll have to wait until May to play Edmonton in the final. ;)

From a selfish standard, I'm disappointed Vancouver and Edmonton weren't drawn against each other. There were quite a few Southsiders who were very excited about the prospect of a mere 90-minute flight to Edmonton for a competitive match against a new, western Canadian club. Many had already tentatively penciled it in, and were planning on taking the Wednesday and Thursday off from work.

Oh well, now we'll have to wait until May to play Edmonton in the final. ;)

There was no draw.

There was no draw.

According to the Globe and Mail the match-ups were "drawn" based on the relative performances of the teams in their leagues last season. TFC was the only first division team in MLS, so they're first, Vancouver was higher in NASL than Montreal, so they're second and Montreal are third, and since FC Edmonton was around but not in a league yet, they're ranked fourth.

According to the Globe and Mail the match-ups were "drawn" based on the relative performances of the teams in their leagues last season. TFC was the only first division team in MLS, so they're first, Vancouver was higher in NASL than Montreal, so they're second and Montreal are third, and since FC Edmonton was around but not in a league yet, they're ranked fourth.

Not to mention the fact that TFC are the current holders of the NCC.

I'd be more inclined to believe the ranking was based upon the 2010 Voyageurs Cup table.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I guess it will be tough on a Wednesday. I expect our away support to be in the 0-5 range, hahah.

We're planning on buying a block of seats for an edmonton supporters section for the FC Edmonton vs Toronto FC at BMO field, usually the top of section 104 for visitors. PM me for more details.

Archived