When will THE NY Cosmos join the league

Trax

The next season is just a few months away, and I have heard more new's of the NY Cosmos then the Montreal Impact about the MLS.

When do you believe the Cosmos will join the league.

I see it as being two options:

They join in 2012 and share a stadium before getting theirs build.

They join in 2013 in their own stadium.

Somehow I would rather see them come in in 2012 even if it would make for a bigger competition for the draft for Montreal.

What are your predictions?

They never join as they have no money, no stadium, no investor and some t-shirt rights. I think their plan is to sell the Comos rights to the eventual owner of the next MLS franchise. All the marketing we're seeing is made in order to make the worth of the rights rise.

• 3 weeks later...
I imagine they'll join after the Impact. A Florida team or another Canadian team will join with them. But, there is interest from Argentina in joining MLS in the same way Chivas has....Argies got no coin though.

Ughgh enough of these import teams with import names... Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City, DC United, Chivas USA... its a who's who of phonies!

They never join as they have no money, no stadium, no investor and some t-shirt rights. I think their plan is to sell the Comos rights to the eventual owner of the next MLS franchise. All the marketing we're seeing is made in order to make the worth of the rights rise.

Hiring Cobi Jones and Eric Cantona seems like overkill for that? It's over 25 years since the Cosmos played competitively now. Not sure the name still resonates with people to the extent it would have back in 1996 when the league first launched and that it actually is worth all that much money at this point (yes I am aware of the irony of writing something like that given my username). Think there's a legitimate attempt to launch a Cosmos franchise at the moment but the key stumbling block is putting an SSS deal together within the boundaries of New York City. Odds on a Cosmos franchise will not be allowed to use Red Bull Arena unless/until RBNY are consistently able to reach a level of ticket sales comparable to that of the Galaxy and have built up a genuinely passionate fanbase.

Ughgh enough of these import teams with import names... Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City, DC United, Chivas USA... its a who's who of phonies!

But Toronto FC is OK in that regard? :) The thing with names is you eventually get used to them through force of habit. Sheffield Wednesday and Crystal Palace must sound a bit bizarre to the uninitiated but if you grow up with them they seem natural and normal. I'm at that point with RSL now and suspect Sporting KC will seem less jarring after a couple of seasons as well.

Hiring Cobi Jones and Eric Cantona seems like overkill for that? It's over 25 years since the Cosmos played competitively now. Not sure the name still resonates with people to the extent it would have back in 1996 when the league first launched and that it actually is worth all that much money at this point (yes I am aware of the irony of writing something like that given my username). Think there's a legitimate attempt to launch a Cosmos franchise at the moment but the key stumbling block is putting an SSS deal together within the boundaries of New York City. Odds on a Cosmos franchise will not be allowed to use Red Bull Arena unless/until RBNY are consistently able to reach a level of ticket sales comparable to that of the Galaxy and have built up a genuinely passionate fanbase.

But Toronto FC is OK in that regard? :) The thing with names is you eventually get used to them through force of habit. Sheffield Wednesday and Crystal Palace must sound a bit bizarre to the uninitiated but if you grow up with them they seem natural and normal. I'm at that point with RSL now and suspect Sporting KC will seem less jarring after a couple of seasons as well.

Of course Toronto FC is ok and so is FC Dallas and Vancouver Whitecaps FC it stands for what they actually are, they aren't trying to be something else. DC United is not a United club such as Newcastle or Manchester United. I also don't seem to remember Salt Lake being given "Real" by King Alfonso XIII but hey I don't follow them too closely ;).

Sheffield Wednesday's name comes from the fact that they were a former cricket club who used to play their matches on Wednesdays. These aren't just names that are chosen because another team used them and they thought they sounded cool and wanted to capitalize. Its not like Real Sociedad was like "hey, that's pretty cool we should do that!".

Sporting Kansas City has the "potential" to legitamize themselves at least if they create another sports team and hey maybe they can buy the Predators move them to KC and call them Sporting Kansas City! Hey I take back what I said, matter of fact maybe Jason Kreis can dig up old King Alfonso XIII and legitamize their club too!

Who did Manchester United unite with?

Apparently, Sporting KC is starting a lacrosse team with the same name, so the "sporting" label works, if true. Real Salt Lake is awful, however.

Four business men took interest in the initial club to save it, it wasn't a takeover though

You are assuming I agree with these type of foreign investors such as Chivas, Argentina....heck Barcelona wanted in a while back. I don't agree. I have no issue with Canadian teams joining as they are not offshoots from some other more famous professional team.

Research Newton & Heath Athletic.

ManU's original name was Newton Heath LYR Football Club and it was founded by the Newton Heath department of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. When it was in serious financial difficulties in 1902 the 4 businessmen who saved it decided to rename it as there was no more connection with the railway. Unlike Newcastle which was formed earlier from a merger of two clubs, Manchester got its United name because some businessmen thought it sounded good and was marketable. Thus if anyone is going to criticize DC United for its name they would have to equally criticize ManU. However, I don't find the name united bad in either case even though a merger did not take place since one can also understand the term united in the sense of a city being united in support for its team or other similar concepts that don't involve a merger. The Real Salt Lake name is bad though since there is absolutely no association between Salt Lake City and Spanish royalty or any other royalty for that matter.

You are assuming I agree with these type of foreign investors such as Chivas, Argentina....heck Barcelona wanted in a while back. I don't agree. I have no issue with Canadian teams joining as they are not offshoots from some other more famous professional team.

That wasn't directed at you I was just ranting there about MLS

• 3 months later...

Via SoccerByIves, saw this comment from Garber on the potential for a 20th team, and he said they're only looking at one team: the Cosmos.

The shocking part is where he puts a price tag on that expansion franchise...

Q
: Next year MLS will welcome a team in Montreal, which is the league’s 19th club. You have publicly said you support growth. What markets appear best for growth?

Garber
: We are focused on New York. It’s a big market. The Cosmos have a great legacy and they have a great soccer history that so far the Red Bulls have not been able to tap into. For the most part Red Bulls fans come from New Jersey. The challenge for [the Cosmos] is to build a stadium, and as we all know New York City is not the easiest place to build. And we’ve put a high price on the 20th team. In 2007 we were asking around $7 million, and last year [teams] sold for $40 million. This could be in the $75 to $100 million [range].

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Blogs/SFF2011.aspx

Via SoccerByIves, saw this comment from Garber on the potential for a 20th team, and he said they're only looking at one team: the Cosmos.

The shocking part is where he puts a price tag on that expansion franchise...

Q
: Next year MLS will welcome a team in Montreal, which is the league’s 19th club. You have publicly said you support growth. What markets appear best for growth?

Garber
: We are focused on New York. It’s a big market. The Cosmos have a great legacy and they have a great soccer history that so far the Red Bulls have not been able to tap into. For the most part Red Bulls fans come from New Jersey. The challenge for [the Cosmos] is to build a stadium, and as we all know New York City is not the easiest place to build. And we’ve put a high price on the 20th team. In 2007 we were asking around $7 million, and last year [teams] sold for $40 million. This could be in the $75 to $100 million [range].

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Blogs/SFF2011.aspx

Thanks for posting that. The distances involved in the area mean that it is difficult for people on Long Island (population 6 million) to go to New Jersey for an MLS game - that's just reality. But beyond that, people on Long Island, and even those in mainland New York City (the counties of Westchester, Bronx, and Manhattan counties, where 4 million more people live) are also culturally adverse to supporting teams in New Jersey (which has 4 million people in its metro area). The current MLS team is New Jersey's, not New York's no matter what it is called. The New Jersey Devils and New Jersey Nets are called that for a reason. The NY Yankees play in Bronx County, and the Mets and Jets on Long Island. The only "New York" named team that plays in New Jersey, other than the MLS Team I Will Not Name, is the New York Giants.

A Cosmos team in either Bronx County or on Long Island constitutes the largest urban area which MLS is not yet in - larger than either Detroit or Miami, which both have 4 million people.

Actually the Jets and Giants play out of the same stadium in the Meadowlands complex. Also, they both have their training facilities in New Jersey. The Mets play in Queens not Long Island.

yup.

Besides, this is really not a big deal. There are lots of teams that don't play in the city that they're named. Ex:

Los Angeles Angels

Phoenix Coyotes

Thanks for posting that. The distances involved in the area mean that it is difficult for people on Long Island (population 6 million) to go to New Jersey for an MLS game - that's just reality. But beyond that, people on Long Island, and even those in mainland New York City (the counties of Westchester, Bronx, and Manhattan counties, where 4 million more people live) are also culturally adverse to supporting teams in New Jersey (which has 4 million people in its metro area). The current MLS team is New Jersey's, not New York's no matter what it is called. The New Jersey Devils and New Jersey Nets are called that for a reason. The NY Yankees play in Bronx County, and the Mets and Jets on Long Island. The only "New York" named team that plays in New Jersey, other than the MLS Team I Will Not Name, is the New York Giants.

A Cosmos team in either Bronx County or on Long Island constitutes the largest urban area which MLS is not yet in - larger than either Detroit or Miami, which both have 4 million people.

You might want to do fact check there. And I mean not just on things that munseahawk point out.

Actually the Jets and Giants play out of the same stadium in the Meadowlands complex. Also, they both have their training facilities in New Jersey. The Mets play in Queens not Long Island.

Queens is one of four counties on Long Island.

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting silly. There's still no team, but they're playing anyway:

PAUL SCHOLES TO BRING A TOUCH OF NEW YORK TO MANCHESTER WITH THE NEW YORK COSMOS

Testimonial Match in Celebration of Scholes’ Career Will Be Played at the Theatre of Dreams

June 10, 2011 (New York, NY) – It was announced just moments ago by Paul Scholes’ Testimonial Committee that a game will be played at Old Trafford, in celebration of Scholes’ career, against The New York Cosmos. On Friday August 5, 2011, Manchester United will host The New York Cosmos – who will assemble their squad, for this match only, with a combination of players from around the world personally invited by Honorary President Pelé and Director of Soccer Eric Cantona to represent the legendary American club (final roster to be announced). This will be The New York Cosmos’ first match in over 25 years, with a 40th Anniversary match in New York City being planned for the fall.

http://www.nycosmos.com/featured/paul-scholes-to-bring-a-touch-of-new-york-to-manchester-with-the-new-york-cosmos/

Archived