David Monsalves is Back with TFC

Teach

Thought this might happen. He had a good run with Inter of the Finish league and is a home town lad. Hopefully he can fill the void and be a start once we sell Frei to Europe.

What is your source of info? I see you have been a member for many years but haven't posted much at all. Welcome back to the boards if you have been away for some time.

Good to hear all around, I hope Monsalve gets the backup keeper job, would be good news for the national team.

Too bad about the new Fifa 5 year residency thing because I believe Frei is eligible for Canadian citizenship at the end of this season after his 3rd year working in Toronto. We could have added him to our growing list of players we begged to play for Canada who chose somewhere else :).

Have you seen him play recently in making this statement?

No, last time I saw him was when he played the Finnish Cup final in 2009 ( I wasn't impress) and I don't think he has played a pro game since (or maybe 1 or 2). Tough for me to watch him in theses circumstances. ;)

I thought Conway was pretty solid when called upon last season and I don't see how Monsalve could be anywhere near him but I could be wrong of course.

Good to hear all around, I hope Monsalve gets the backup keeper job, would be good news for the national team.

Too bad about the new Fifa 5 year residency thing because I believe Frei is eligible for Canadian citizenship at the end of this season after his 3rd year working in Toronto. We could have added him to our growing list of players we begged to play for Canada who chose somewhere else :).

Frei's a year away from taking his career back across the pond anyway.

For TFC, having MOnsalve as a back up would be a big step down compare to last season when they had Conway as their primary back up.

Conway did amirable for TFC last season. I can't think of a game he lost in the 7-8 he was in goal. Now he wasn't outstanding, but he did a good job. I don't believe Monslave cannot emulate what Conway did. The only difference is can Monslave play under pressure with all his family and friends in the stands cheering him on?

No, last time I saw him was when he played the Finnish Cup final in 2009 ( I wasn't impress) and I don't think he has played a pro game since (or maybe 1 or 2). Tough for me to watch him in theses circumstances. ;)

I thought Conway was pretty solid when called upon last season and I don't see how Monsalve could be anywhere near him but I could be wrong of course.

Monsalve played in nine pro matches in 2010 according to most sources, including one Finnish Cup match and the one Europa League qualifier vs Genk.

But I would tend to agree with loyola, in that he hasn't really done much to flat out deserve this back-up spot based on merit alone. Now, talent may be a different thing.

Hope he signs in any case. Too many promising Canucks out of work at the moment.

I wonder if TFC will be able to count him as a homegrown player. I know Philly tried to get some player they drafted classified as a homegrown player, so I assume there's some flexibility in the process. You know, if you don't like the rules in the MLS, wait a week.

Very much doubt it. The three year thing only applies if you have permanent resident status (aka landed immigrant status based on having successfully gone through the immigration points process) not if you are working in Canada on a work visa. Beyond that I hope you are not one of the people who accuses players like H_argreaves and JDG2 of being traitors etc :)

If he is training for another career arguably he is doing the sensible thing at this point for his long term future. What people never seem to grasp on this board is that usually only 10% or so of the players on a professional club's youth system over in Europe will make it through to the first team. Most will ultimately not be able to carve out a career within the game and have to move on and do other things to make a living. The time to start paying close attention is when a contract is signed to be part of the first team squad and a player starts to appear regularly in that context.

...usually only 10% or so of the players on a professional club's youth system over in Europe will make it through to the first team. Most will ultimately not be able to carve out a career within the game and have to move on and do other things to make a living. The time to start paying close attention is when a contract is signed to be part of the first team squad and a player starts to appear regularly in that context.

Agreed.

Archived