Whitecaps release Justin Moose

cfof

I kinda liked him, and am a bit surprised by this mid-season cleaning. I like the fact that Canadians are coming in, and was one of the loudest moaners when the squad started to shift from a predominantly Canadian to a more mixed group, but I wonder if, besides Ornoch, if most of these new guys (Elliott, O'Neil, ??) are good enough to make any more of an impact than the guys they have replaced. Even promising Ornoch hasn't played proper football in eons.

Another side note is that the Caps (very quietly) haven't hit the season-ticket goal yet and the Lions are not selling out Empire Field, where Caps will start next season. From where I am sitting, they need to bring in a bigger name or two, something a little exciting. Most of the signings of the past two seasons have really been lunchpailers at best, workmanlike guys and plenty of journeymen. There is very little buzz around the city and I think those who made cautious projections about fan interest were right on the money. Vancouver is like the pretty girl who sits back in her chair and says, "Impress me," and it just hasn't happened yet. Fortunately there is still plenty of time.

And why no club friendlies like they did in previous years, this year when marketing would seem to be of the highest priority? Are they worried that the public might confuse the underwhelming product they currently have on the pitch with the potentially new and exciting team they might field next year?

Back on topic, where would a guy like Moose play? There will be fewer and fewer paying jobs for guys of Moose's calibre - pity because he was a fun player to watch.

There is very little buzz around the city and I think those who made cautious projections about fan interest were right on the money. Vancouver is like the pretty girl who sits back in her chair and says, "Impress me," and it just hasn't happened yet. Fortunately there is still plenty of time.

And why no club friendlies like they did in previous years, this year when marketing would seem to be of the highest priority? Are they worried that the public might confuse the underwhelming product they currently have on the pitch with the potentially new and exciting team they might field next year?

I'm with you Nolando. But one of the reasons they are not having any friendlies this year is to increase the 'impress me' factor for next year when they do announce the big names. No chance of friendly fatigue like we are seeing in Edmonton, Toronto and a lot of other markets that have had lots of European teams.

I thaught he was a good player myself, excellent pace and pretty good winger in general. Must suck if he's been with the club for the last 2 or 3 seasons, hoping to land in MLS in 2011 and gets sacked in mid 2010.

Don't think IMFC have room for him (pretty stacked with that type of player). He's most likely to end up with one of the better NASL/USL sides. Maybe Carolina?

Wasn't that him on the Whitecaps TV program showing off his guitar skills?

Well, that's business. Best of luck in your future ventures, Justin.

Funny you should mention that... I exchanged emails a couple years ago with a Justin Moose who just moved here from NC to start a band. I never put two and two together. We never ended up getting together ha ha.

He was an energetic player with a lot of heart who hit some very bad breaks over his time here with injuries. I think it's just getting down to crunch time and the Caps want to open up more international spots for trialists who have a shot at making the big squad next year.

Moose is one of those players you look down the line and hope that his drive proves everyone wrong. Any team that picks him up is going to get a Fr@$#$'n hard working player!

If he didn't have the injury issues i feel he would of walked onto the MLS team as a key contributer, he had loads of energy and could play throughout the midfield. He would of been very servicable at the MLS level for the Caps if healthy.

Its nice of you to say, but Justin hadn't a hope of making the squad for MLS, I'm just being realistic. I think two sounders from the USL survived the expansion into MLS in 2009 and one moved on to Philly. Now I do think the Caps have more to offer than the Seattle squad pre-MLS but realistically I can only see 3-4 current players on the initial MLS roster for the Caps.

Should we name them? :0

I had initially thought a great many of them would make the jump, but I'm starting to see the tips and hints via cuts etc and learning the MLS rules... With a clearer head I'm thinking I see Akloul (currently hurt), Akwari, Tsiskaridze, Knight, Nash (don't start again please), as really being the only guys that will jump in and see playing time in heaps, the others that will come... perhaps Bellisomo, Ansou Toure, and Blake Wagner.. the others will be squad depth/youth... if they make it up...

I might be missing a few guys... but overall I'm starting to get the picture.

For me skill and ability has less to do with the jump to MLS from Teir 2 as consistancy and resume. It is my perception anyways.

Good luck to the Moose... The Moose is on the Loose!

I had initially thought a great many of them would make the jump, but I'm starting to see the tips and hints via cuts etc and learning the MLS rules... With a clearer head I'm thinking I see Akloul (currently hurt), Akwari, Tsiskaridze, Knight, Nash (don't start again please), as really being the only guys that will jump in and see playing time in heaps, the others that will come... perhaps Bellisomo, Ansou Toure, and Blake Wagner.. the others will be squad depth/youth... if they make it up...

I might be missing a few guys... but overall I'm starting to get the picture.

For me skill and ability has less to do with the jump to MLS from Teir 2 as consistancy and resume. It is my perception anyways.

Good luck to the Moose... The Moose is on the Loose!

You just might see Ethan Gage move up. He is determined. Had a taste of stardom. Has career ambition, and iwll take a hometown discount to stay on the squad. Bonsu might be another like this.

I'm thinking we are gonna take less and less guys along with us everyday.

Right now I can't see more than Tsiskaridze, Nolly, Bellisomo, Akoul, Akwari, A.Toure and with guys like Wagner, Khalflan, D.Toure, Janicki, Stewart, Knight and Gage on the fringe. The fringe guys will probably have to come in and out compete players from the Superdraft and Expansion draft. Nash is a variable he could come along in a coaching capacity, though people seem to believe his set pieces and leadership will have him a spot for the first year in the MLS.

Here's hoping Vancouver can get one DP under contract by the start of the first season, Park Ji-Sung is my number one choice, I'm pretty sure.

Archived