Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

Anyone with info on when/where please post as I'm sure some of us in the Edmt area would love to drop by. Is this something that typically anyone can attend?

I wonder at what time the injunction will be heard in Edmonton courts?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This weekend will be another interesting one. CMSA is still telling its members to go to the Edmonton Tier IV not the Stettler ones

"Tier IV ASA Provincials – July 16-18

The locations for both the Boys and Girls U12 Tier IV ASA Provincials have changed from Stettler/Camrose to Edmonton as per the ASA Memo dated July 5.

U14 to U18 Tier IV Provincials are unaffected, and will remain as scheduled in Edmonton July 16-18. "

If an injunction is given before then does everyone change plans again?

This weekend will be another interesting one. CMSA is still telling its members to go to the Edmonton Tier IV not the Stettler ones

"Tier IV ASA Provincials – July 16-18

The locations for both the Boys and Girls U12 Tier IV ASA Provincials have changed from Stettler/Camrose to Edmonton as per the ASA Memo dated July 5.

U14 to U18 Tier IV Provincials are unaffected, and will remain as scheduled in Edmonton July 16-18. "

If an injunction is given before then does everyone change plans again?

I suspect this (this injunction) has more to do with the fact that today is the deadline for AMSL teams to "re-pay" their fees, along with the fact that the upcoming AMSL games between teams in good "standing" (Calgary, Lethbridge?) and those not (EDSA allied teams) could be disrupted. The issue of senior provinicals, and national reps need to be sorted out long before this dispute is likely to resolved head to head. One could only imagine the debate if two Alberta teams claim to be men's/women's champions....

We will likely get someone posting from the couthouse. I heard that Gowlings was feaverishly trying to settle out of court and the Justice seemed very interested in the fact that young kids provincials were being interrupted. Gowlings is the firm giving out terrific legal advice to Mario and Colin.

We will likely get someone posting from the couthouse. I heard that Gowlings was feaverishly trying to settle out of court and the Justice seemed very interested in the fact that young kids provincials were being interrupted. Gowlings is the firm giving out terrific legal advice to Mario and Colin.

All legal work done pro bono I'm sure.

I find this a little funny. Gowlings, Mario, and Colin have been nothing but tough talk and staff firings from the second they withdrew (or failed to show up for) their own court action and received their first letter of support from CSA. If they were confident in their legal position why would they be offering to settle out of court now??? Up until this point they have demonstrated absolutely zero interest in working cooperatively to find a resolution. Just this week alone they have "suspended" the individuals with the courage to file the action against them. Suddenly they are willing to negotiate????

I liked how the reporter juxtaposed the news of the lawsuit with quotes from Mario back in April when he started the lawsuit that he abandoned the day before it was to come to hearing. At that time he was saying he would obey and respect any court ruling. I imagine he thinks now that CSA will shield him from any adverse decision and he can just ignore it. He is in for a lesson. What happens if the old guard is ruled not to have been the real board and they have to pay the costs and any damages themselves for their actions and debts incurred in the last 4.5 months? Imagine that conversation as christine Chaters or Fred have to explain that to their spouses. Doesnt seem like such a great idea now does it? Dont count on CSA paying your damages-they are broke and you will no longer be useful to them.

The CSA May 4th. letter was posted here.

The ASA May 6th. letter was sent to me by a soccer contact. I'm not sure where it was posted but it was sent to all ASA members.

Thanks Bill.

Interesting documents there. It appears that the legal opinion on the SGM being invalid is incumbent on the fact that the bylaws currently registered with Alberta Registries is the 1998 version of the bylaws. Not the version currently up on the ASA website. In the old version the quorum for an SGM was 2/3 of Active + Associate members. Whereas the version on the website that i think everyone believes to be the latest states a quorum is 1/3 of Active members.

So for the last 10 years any bylaw changes voted on at ASA AGMs have not been legally enforceable.

Just when you thought we were all playing from the same rule book.

Thanks Bill.

Interesting documents there. It appears that the legal opinion on the SGM being invalid is incumbent on the fact that the bylaws currently registered with Alberta Registries is the 1998 version of the bylaws. Not the version currently up on the ASA website. In the old version the quorum for an SGM was 2/3 of Active + Associate members. Whereas the version on the website that i think everyone believes to be the latest states a quorum is 1/3 of Active members.

So for the last 10 years any bylaw changes voted on at ASA AGMs have not been legally enforceable.

Kinds of a letter of law vs. spirit of law problem.

If I am correct Mario and EMSA weild much less power if we are going by the 1998 bylaws. EMSA would have shared their vote with the other Edmonton districts.

That wouldnt be like Mario et al to be operating by different rules depending on the situation? I am sure he would prefer to be operating by the EMSA rules which make the 1938 German Nuremburg laws and the Jim Crow legislation of the post Civil War American south look progressive.

If I am correct Mario and EMSA weild much less power if we are going by the 1998 bylaws. EMSA would have shared their vote with the other Edmonton districts.

Currently delegates voting for directors get 1 vote per 250 members. Wonder what it was in 1998 and if the results of the last election would be different.

Currently delegates voting for directors get 1 vote per 250 members. Wonder what it was in 1998 and if the results of the last election would be different.

Ole might have defeated Robert Hayne. That would have made a huge difference in this whole cluster-f#ck.

Who knows how the voting might have been different? and I guess at this point it doesn't really matter

The presidents vote was 51-49 in favor of billings, correct?

Not sure exactly, but I know it was very, very close. There is a funny story around the presidents elections (involving Fred Kearn). Maybe someone who knows more of the details than I do can fill us in. I know there were a lot of shocked people when Chris won the election. (Perhaps Mario was the most surprised)

These guys always assume they can "influence" people to do what they want and frankly even old guard were not impressed with having Fred speak for them. Fred did seem very surprised. When they need you things are rosy but when you outlive your usefulness you are dropped pretty quick. Old world politics.

once again no mention to the fact that he did not defend himself at a hearing. If you do not show up for a court appearance you are guilty. IF he was innocent then he should have shown and defended himself. The only clowns around here are those of you who continue to back this maniac.

Keep spreading your lies and distraction. What you are all upset about is that Mario took his votes back from all of you. For years you (EDSA and EIYSA) have hijacked the EMSA votes. He got them back and they will never be taken away again. You have this guy billings as your pawn and he has not realized it yet.

yes the membership did ask for a SGM and this was granted, however because billings knew that the truth would come out he hosted an earlier one and spoke about governance and the membership did not know the facts. Slowly they are beginning to see what type of person Billings and his puppet masters are. And when you talk about the membership you are talking around 30% the other 70% are for soccer and the truth.

Let me put it this way. If i get suspended from your organization and you call me in for a hearing and i just refuse to go, and play with my team anyway what do you think would happen??? i would be suspended and the team would lose all of the points. Chris billings is refusing to try to clear his name because he knows this is impossible and would rather destroy Alberta Soccer than to accept proper procedure. I hope he does destroy it and the 3 districts behind him can form your own organization and leave good people alone. but of course you would not be recognized by CSA!

I really enjoy reading your blogs and how you 2 or 3 guys masking yourselves as different people banter back and forth as if there are more people. You are fanatical and pathetic.

I don't know Colin very well but i have know Mario for at least 10 years, and he has done more for soccer in Alberta then any of you hope to do.

Keep up your schizophrenic slant on reality!

Archived