Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

I heard the tournament in stettler went on cue-think that is boys -14 . One team showed up late because of all the scheduling conflicts and the fact they were being bombarded by EMSA to come to theirs instead. They got coaches together and got a good schedule together and are off and running with trophies and medals.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard the tournament in stettler went on cue-think that is boys -14 . One team showed up late because of all the scheduling conflicts and the fact they were being bombarded by EMSA to come to theirs instead. They got coaches together and got a good schedule together and are off and running with trophies and medals.

excellent news.

Going very well in Stettler, they've got excellent volunteers there and do a great job. Good RV campground between the field locations, lots of campers. Sad part is that there could have been more teams there having a good time except for Mario's idiocy.

Going very well in Stettler, they've got excellent volunteers there and do a great job. Good RV campground between the field locations, lots of campers. Sad part is that there could have been more teams there having a good time except for Mario's idiocy.

I see only the tournaments in Edmonton warrant any inclusion on the ASA website. I guess Mario is still using his influence there.

Not too many staff left that are "neutral" to get the results up. Again, poor PR by the old board. Their supporters are sure not flooding the Journal's comment section like they did a few weeks back because last week's nonsense has turned a lot of folks against them. But that being said, they could have mollified some of the opposition by making the results available.

I'm won't be around when the verdict comes in, so I'll miss the next episode in this debacle. There are some interesting and ominous forces at play here. First, Monday's meeting with the ASRPW (?) foundation chair on Monday. I sure hope the Govt of Alberta holds on to it's grant funding until the final curtain, but that meeting could be an interesting opening act.

I've done some "if this then what" thinking, not very comprehensive .. If the Court of Queen's Bench rules against the new board and the three districts in the two actions, things could get real ugly really fast. I can't see them sitting back and saying all is forgiven, but to lash out and suspend 13 districts and a host of boards (including EDSA, and perhaps EIYSA) for not siding with them, will create a huge rift. I look to the CQB Justice to be wise and place conditions on the ruling. If the CQB rules for Billings, or the three districts, then things look a little different. I suspect there will be a cooling off period and an attempt to rebuild. The wild card is CSA. They are a little hooped right now. If they enter the fray now, they could be seen as interfering in the deliberations of the court. They never intervened as a third party in the hearings, so they are out the loop right now. If they jump in afterwards and try to reverse the CQB decision there may be some harsh judicial blowback. CSA may even be hoping their friends in FIFA will jump in and carry the can. Given all that, I haven't a clue how this is going to play out.

To continue the Monty Python theme, it could even be "And now for something completely different" ....

I will be surprised if they even manage to get an interim agreement in place before the court date. These two sides are going to find it very difficult to find an agreement they can both live with.

My opinion is that Mario has agreed to negotiate an agreement only as a ploy to buy a few days of peace. I am waiting to see what his next move will be. Reconciliation and compromise are not his strong qualities.

Any word how all the tournaments are proceeding this weekend? I bet it has been a scheduling nightmare.

Hello, Folks! I have been following your posts for the last week or so in order to educate myself about this issue--I am a youth team manager and was incensed by the events that I heard took place last weekend! I registered for this forum so that I could assure you that the U12 Rural Girls Provincials in Camrose today were very successful--well-organized, happy parents and players, ASA medals that were picked up from the office on Friday. The final match went to a shootout and the girls were thrilled. It was a small pool of three teams, but I guarantee that no one had a better time than those teams this weekend! Thanks for helping those of us who are just learning about the issues--your comments have been informative and occasionally downright entertaining--you folks clearly know your stuff! Keep on keeping the rest of us "in the know" as the story unfolds--hats off to you.

If the courts side with billings CSA has a tough choice. Do they want the money or do they want mario etc there to block the reform. They would be very foolish to ignore the courts ruling. They cant have both. I think CSA will sit back and see which way the wind blows. My guess is the courts rule that an SGM has to be called and they may even appoint a neutral person to run it and set some terms-like what bylaws are in force and what % it takes to get rid of those guys. I believe they will rule billings suspension illegal-that is a given-it was by any bylaw. Would love to sit in on Mario getting deposed or whatever the word is. He wouldnt last 2 minutes without contradicting himself.

Things will be interesting these next 3 or 4 weeks. I do like the fact that an independant court is involved.

Soccermom - thanks have to go to you for sticking to the principle that it's the kids that count. You are to be applauded for your positive attitude and action. My hats off to all the players, coaches, officials and organizers in the rural districts. They ARE the real heroes, in the trenches for all the right reasons. I started coaching my kids more than 20 years ago, and remember their provincials, what it meant to them, and how they grew with each season.

Here's to the kids, the reason we're fighting so hard for Fair Play.

Hello, Folks! I have been following your posts for the last week or so in order to educate myself about this issue--I am a youth team manager and was incensed by the events that I heard took place last weekend! I registered for this forum so that I could assure you that the U12 Rural Girls Provincials in Camrose today were very successful--well-organized, happy parents and players, ASA medals that were picked up from the office on Friday. The final match went to a shootout and the girls were thrilled. It was a small pool of three teams, but I guarantee that no one had a better time than those teams this weekend! Thanks for helping those of us who are just learning about the issues--your comments have been informative and occasionally downright entertaining--you folks clearly know your stuff! Keep on keeping the rest of us "in the know" as the story unfolds--hats off to you.

Thank you so much for the update. I am thrilled that the tournament went well. From a scheduling standpoint I meant that the difficulty would come from not knowing for sure which teams would be going to which tournament.

Congratulations to all volunteers for ensuring that the tournaments went off without a hitch. I hope some of these quality individuals run for the ASA and/or district boards in upcoming elections. Some fresh blood is needed to weed out the people who are only in it for the power and perks (trips to Nationals etc.)

At least we have some support for some of our earlier statements...like Terminations will continue until morale improves:

It was neither the first nor the last dismissal.

"In general, morale was low. Personally, I have never experienced that much stress in my life," said Crowley. "There were always surprises. Threats. Security at work was always threatened."

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Barnes+Common+sense+been+first+casualty+soccer/3293038/story.html?cid=megadrop_story#ixzz0u2dNRUgv

If turnbull isnt in that office i wonder who the second "neutral" caretaker would be? It would be nice if margaret-leanne and the others were back in that office so business could get done there.

One good thing about this article that is new is that finally the sad actions of Christine Chaters was exposed Barnes. She has done a lot of Marios dirty work recently at ASA and she has dragged a once proud Sherwood Park district into the gutter and sold it out to to Mario and his tier 3 empire for a handful of marios magic beans. Hopefully they will send her back to wherever she came from at the next Sherwood park election and some actual soccer people could return in sherwood park. Chaters needs to go. Does anyone know how it was that she got elected in the first place.

Okay, this is getting beyond stupid already.

The ASA operates under the umbrella of the CSA to whom they pay no small tribute through their player fees. Court case, no court case, who gives a fu'k. The big heads in Ottawa have to step in and put an end to this nonsense RFN. Not in January, not in October. Today.

What a load of crap.

But the fight for common sense is ongoing. The five men who coach U-18 boys and girls teams from Sherwood Park were suspended by their district for taking those teams to the provincials in St. Albert last weekend.

The Sherwood Park District Soccer Association president is Christine Chater, an active member of the Charpentier group. That group decided the St. Albert tournament couldn't be sanctioned as it was being held by a district in bad standing.

The coaches, players and their parents voted unanimously to play anyway, just as many other teams from other districts did. The five coaches, who face a disciplinary hearing Tuesday, have volunteered a lot of time.

Cheeta-CSA is a big part of the problem-their help was ham fisted-quite possibly corrupt and actually emboldend one side not to negotiate. They stepped in and supported one side over the other without doing any real investigation. The CSA executive has been part of the problem for the last 3 months. It would be nice if the CSA provincials directors stepped in and brought some fair "honest broker" to the table but the Executive has already cast their lot with the wrong side unreservedly.

The courts are the only way right now. The CSA has failed us.

I think those 5 coaches in Sherwood Park are great. Their actions could do more to break this cabal than almost anything else. If Charpentier, Chater, and Innes are allowed to continue they will destroy Soccer in Alberta.

Great Article in the Journal. CSA should be embarrassed that they are backing these goof balls. The Charpentier group has been destroyed in the court of public opinion and not because Billings has done anything special. It is because people have had the courage to stick together and expose these thugs for what they are.

I continue to believe that the interim agreement is simply a stalling mechanism by Charpentier et. al. To the best of my knowledge there is still no signed agreement.

I think those 5 coaches in Sherwood Park are great. Their actions could do more to break this cabal than almost anything else. If Charpentier, Chater, and Innes are allowed to continue they will destroy Soccer in Alberta.

Great Article in the Journal. CSA should be embarrassed that they are backing these goof balls. The Charpentier group has been destroyed in the court of public opinion and not because Billings has done anything special. It is because people have had the courage to stick together and expose these thugs for what they are.

I continue to believe that the interim agreement is simply a stalling mechanism by Charpentier et. al. To the best of my knowledge there is still no signed agreement.

Yeah, the editorial was spot on and i'm glad it was written. Only one positive has come out of this whole thing...increased profile for the Voyageurs, otherwise it's been a black mark on Soccer in this country. Hopefully it's solved, people move on with soccer in Alberta and the people who've joined to offer their opinions stick with the Voyageurs. Including Freethought...as much as it makes me shudder.

Does anyone wonder why Canada cannot field a World Cup team? Uruguay can and it is only the size of Toronto! It is simple: megalomaniacs. It is never about the game. This all started when they rode Peter McKenzie out as ineffective and Traficante stepped up to "clean it up" by firing Gary Semply. ASA lost all it's sponsorships and started to go bankrupt. Nothing in the office happened without being cleared at the daily 6 am meeting. Since then it has been management by Chaos at ASA (Office and Board) as well as other boards and Organisations. Keep everything in a state of chaos and blatantly walk up the middle. There is no need for shared values or goals and therefore no need for co-operation. That is why Mario needs an agreement; without it he cannot slip up the middle and influence the outcomes. It also suits other large organisations. Everyone does what they want. A totally impartial trustee (read outside professional firm) would be unworkable for Mario's group - no chaos. Mario's job is to deliver Alberta to Traficante at CSA who was allied with his buddy in Ontario a while back. I think there was a connection to BC too. Do not think for a minute that this will be solved by any of this. Like a bad cold, they do not go away and they infect everything. They just come at you LATER from a different angle. CSA is just a "different angle" to enter later. Like Bernardo and Homolka, how do these people find each other? If i had it to do over again I would put my kids in hockey. I advised my son, who still plays, to look to Lacrosse or Hockey for his kids. Over the years I saw the game deteriorate in so many areas and never were the players served by these people. I find it interesting that it is not changing for the better over time and I'm sorry but I feel it is terminal as evidenced by the fiascos at Provincials. ASA and then CSA politics have infected other Provincial Boards and I understood (past tense) that they were undergoing similar issues. Like someone else has stated: who in their right mind would want to get involved in trying to clean up this mess?

Does anyone wonder why Canada cannot field a World Cup team? Uruguay can and it is only the size of Toronto! It is simple: megalomaniacs. It is never about the game. This all started when they rode Peter McKenzie out as ineffective and Traficante stepped up to "clean it up" by firing Gary Semply. ASA lost all it's sponsorships and started to go bankrupt. Nothing in the office happened without being cleared at the daily 6 am meeting. Since then it has been management by Chaos at ASA (Office and Board) as well as other boards and Organisations. Keep everything in a state of chaos and blatantly walk up the middle. There is no need for shared values or goals and therefore no need for co-operation. That is why Mario needs an agreement; without it he cannot slip up the middle and influence the outcomes. It also suits other large organisations. Everyone does what they want. A totally impartial trustee (read outside professional firm) would be unworkable for Mario's group - no chaos. Mario's job is to deliver Alberta to Traficante at CSA who was allied with his buddy in Ontario a while back. I think there was a connection to BC too. Do not think for a minute that this will be solved by any of this. Like a bad cold, they do not go away and they infect everything. They just come at you LATER from a different angle. CSA is just a "different angle" to enter later. Like Bernardo and Homolka, how do these people find each other? If i had it to do over again I would put my kids in hockey. I advised my son, who still plays, to look to Lacrosse or Hockey for his kids. Over the years I saw the game deteriorate in so many areas and never were the players served by these people. I find it interesting that it is not changing for the better over time and I'm sorry but I feel it is terminal as evidenced by the fiascos at Provincials. ASA and then CSA politics have infected other Provincial Boards and I understood (past tense) that they were undergoing similar issues. Like someone else has stated: who in their right mind would want to get involved in trying to clean up this mess?

If I wasn't depressed about the situation before, being the father of a young boy about to enter organized sports (hopefully Soccer), I am now… what a sad post ^^^

Great post cueball-sums it all up-chaos theory. Who is beranrdo and who is homolka? I would cry if i wasnt laughing. This method of government is similar to other banana republics and as described in 1984 by orwell. Constant state of martial law and the heros traficante -charpentier and innes are there to "save" us from the enemy of the moment. The fact is that they and their self interested form of government is the real enemy. Really, how hard should it be to govern soccer in Alberta?

Great post cueball-sums it all up-chaos theory. Who is bernrdo and who is homolka? I would cry if i wasnt laughing. This method of government is similar ot other banana republics and as described in 1984 by orwell. Constant state of martial law and the heros traficante -charpentier and innes are there to "save" us from the enemy of the moment. The fact is that they and their self interested form of government is the real enemy. Really, how hard should it be to govern soccer in Alberta?

^ Two murderers/lovers who used to torture their victims before killing them.

I know who Bernardo and Homolka are but in our analogy I would assume innes is homolka who-when caught-blamed bernardo for being the leader-we found out after her plea bargain that she was an equal partner and should have been punished equally. Let us hope that when all is over here and the soccer criminals are brought to justice we dont forget colin innes role-he lets mario get the ink but he was equally blameworthy. The only stooges are Chaters who hasnt a clue and likes Marios attention-fred who can hide his own easter eggs and the other nobodies along for the ride-deberger, hayne and jossy who are useful idiots. Others who really need scrutiny are Steen at CMSa who knows better but thinks that as long as Edmonton is screwed it is good for Calgary to hold the balance of power. He is a bright guy but his priorities need to get adjusted by the Clubs down there. All of Marios board deserve an exit from the soccer scene in alberta. It would be nice if their districts took care of them soon. They have disgraced everyone.

I picked this up off the Sherwood Park Website. There's only one problem - which ASA? SPDSA has jumped to the old Board side, presumably based on CSA's July 5 letter (which is now prominent on EMSA's website. All of this will be a right mess to sort out if the Court rules against the old board.

From the SPDSA Board of Directors

Date: July 16, 2010

RE: Dissension within the Alberta Soccer Association

To the SPDSA Membership:

Many of you may be aware that soccer programs in Sherwood Park (i.e.: Provincials) have been affected by the actions of the organizations responsible for directing soccer across Alberta.

Media coverage and other forms of communication have not served to provide clear enough information for a solid understanding of the full range of issues that are ocurring during this time.

SPDSA and the Board of Directors are working hard to contribute to a quick resolution of these issues, and regret the negative impact that our players and coaches have experienced.

The Board would like to reassure our membership that the SPDSA is currently a member in good standing with both the Canadian and Alberta Soccer Associations. Our bylaws state that we must follow CSA and ASA guidelines. Therefore, along with the committment we hold to our bylaws, player safety is of utmost importance and we will not approve the participation of our teams in any unsanctioned events.

We appreciate your patience as we work our way through these issues and will keep the membership updated as to the status of this situation.

Funny="media coverage and other forms of communication..." Poor christine Chaters. She was a special appointment to the Board -not elected-and has been a loyal toady to Mario ever since and all she has got for her troubles are awful jobs like having to fire the female ASA staff for no reason and a right pasting in the media and her own soccer community and she keeps seeing her name on lawsuits. I wonder if she even remembers why she got on a soccer Board. She is also a member on the Eiysa board as Sherwood Park director and she has been part of Marios groups efforts to eliminate Eiysa. She is jeapordising her club teams status in that organization. Why should Eiysa keep Sherwood Park in Eiysa if the Sherwood Park president is working actively to destroy them? Wonder if Sherwood park competetive people understand that? Do they want all their competetive teams in EMSA with Mario? I am sure Mario does.

Archived