Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

yeg51 thanks for the heads up on the sp site. The timing is not a good sign of anyone from the "Mario group" starting to play fair. I thought all Districts were now in good standing as of last Friday? I didn't expect miracles but I thought the rest of the Tier 1 / 2 / 3 Provincials could get scheduled and proceed.

It's so frustrating and sad to have to try and explain this crap to the kids.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of you may be aware that soccer programs in Sherwood Park (i.e.: Provincials) have been affected by the actions of the organizations responsible for directing soccer across Alberta.

Sounds like they are trying to distance themselves from the ASA. Or the cynic might think that Ms Chater is starting to setup her position.

Media coverage and other forms of communication have not served to provide clear enough information for a solid understanding of the full range of issues that are ocurring during this time.

This seems so ... predictable. The issues are much too complex to be understood. Just a little condescending.

Therefore, along with the committment we hold to our bylaws, player safety is of utmost importance and we will not approve the participation of our teams in any unsanctioned events.

This is interesting; does paying money to the ASA rather than a lawyers account decrease the chance of someone getting hurt in a game?

It looks like Ms. Chater is staring to become concerned about her public image. Maybe she should have considered that prior to jumping into this mess with both feet. She has taken an active role in staff firings, prevented information from going to teams, and actively supported Mario in all of his strange decisions. She is part of the problem and I hope that is remembered in future elections. She needs to go.

To put it kindly-Christine isnt very self aware and is relatively new to soccer-compared to the vultures she currently flys with. What is the political situation in sherwood park that would embolden her to act as she has? Sherwood park used to be very progressive and they used to keep Mario etc and other groups at a safe distance while they improved their own lot. I notice their teams are poorer now and the discussions i have had with coaches and parents indicates a great deal of dissatisfaction.

To put it kindly-Christine isnt very self aware and is relatively new to soccer-compared to the vultures she currently flys with. What is the political situation in sherwood park that would embolden her to act as she has? Sherwood park used to be very progressive and they used to keep Mario etc and other groups at a safe distance while they improved their own lot. I notice their teams are poorer now and the discussions i have had with coaches and parents indicates a great deal of dissatisfaction.

Is she up for re-election at the next Sherwood Park general meeting?

Waste of ASA Money -

I find it interesting to note that of all the employees fired at ASA, I don't believe a single one was fired with cause. All were offered severance packages if they would sign releases exculpating Mario and his band of brothers from liability. I wonder if they are concerned that the intimidation tactics, threats, harassment, poor working conditions etc could really come back to bite them.

I really want to see the ASA financials for 2010. How much money has been spend on legals fees, severance agreements, board expenses, perks for board members (flights, hotels, meals, mileage, cell phones)? We really need to evaluate the value that ASA delivers for the money it receives in grants and registration fees.

They currently have next to no staff in the office. How much service is ASA able to provide for the money they are paid?

Some of you may find this interesting...

With Neil Turnbull's resignation, a void was created with the ASA Select Team programs. Turnbull was supposed to travel with the U16 Girls to Quebec for All-Star Nationals to assist with supervision and technical assistance.

Any guess who is travelling in his stead? Well, apparently it is Innes. Obviously a free, all expenses trip to Quebec for one of the embattled board members is exactly what should be offered in this time of political upheaval. I'm sure Mr. Innes will be able to assist the U16 Girls in their competition, liaising with the competition officials, scouting matches, helping to organize sessions, etc..

Innes can liase with his friends at CSA and try to garner support at CSA to suspend and expel over half of the districts of Alta who are currently suing him. I seriously doubt that any agreement on a caretaker for the ASA office will be made by the Innes group. Innes going on this trip being a prime example-never played-never coached beyond house league and there he is going in the stead of our tech director who used to coach the national team. No wonder he is moving on. Neil really did try his best but with these clowns around who could go on?

Some of you may find this interesting...

With Neil Turnbull's resignation, a void was created with the ASA Select Team programs. Turnbull was supposed to travel with the U16 Girls to Quebec for All-Star Nationals to assist with supervision and technical assistance.

Any guess who is travelling in his stead? Well, apparently it is Innes. Obviously a free, all expenses trip to Quebec for one of the embattled board members is exactly what should be offered in this time of political upheaval. I'm sure Mr. Innes will be able to assist the U16 Girls in their competition, liaising with the competition officials, scouting matches, helping to organize sessions, etc..

Apparently Robert Hayne is also slated to go (maybe to sherbrooke with the boys?). with his record of expense padding that should up the cost to ASA considerably. Like Innes I'm sure his "technical expertise" will be invaluable. What a horrible joke.

I had heard from reliable sources that Colin's plan even prior to Turnbull's resignation required Turnbull to stay at home in Edmonton and Innes to travel in his place. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the final straw that caused Turnbull to resign.

Colin would hate to miss out on a free trip and chance to badmouth Billings to a National crowd. You know Colin, he is entitled to his entitlements.

There needs to be stronger guidelines on board members travel. This trip is a prime example of wasted money. Colin has no technical expertise to offer. It is simply an all-expense paid trip to meet with some of his CSA buddies. If any of these board members had careers of their own they wouldn't have time to fly around the country all the time. Leave the technical issues to the professionals and get the board members out of the way.

What benefit is there is board members going instead of technical staff in any circumstances? Things like this are why we need reform. These guys would rather spend our money on their perks and lawsuits. We will spend at least 1/4 of our budget on misguided perks and lawsuits and conflict this year.

I can only offer from experience the following...

The ASA representative at a National competition does very, very little, at least from the perspective of assisting the provincial team. They are very visible in hospitality suites, but their attendance at matches, hearings or fulfilling other administrative tasks is pretty non-existent. At one National competition, I saw our representative at the field twice - once to give us the provincial flag at opening ceremonies, and once to get it back at closing ceremonies. The only other time - HONESTLY - that I saw him was in the hospitality suite, holding court over a LOT of drinks with clones and drones just like him.

I can only offer from experience the following...

The ASA representative at a National competition does very, very little, at least from the perspective of assisting the provincial team. They are very visible in hospitality suites, but their attendance at matches, hearings or fulfilling other administrative tasks is pretty non-existent. At one National competition, I saw our representative at the field twice - once to give us the provincial flag at opening ceremonies, and once to get it back at closing ceremonies. The only other time - HONESTLY - that I saw him was in the hospitality suite, holding court over a LOT of drinks with clones and drones just like him.

ahhh....money well spent.

We know the type - hold court wherever they can in their blazers and gray slacks, spouting 'wisdom' to each other and anybody else who will listen about the game and how it should be played and administered but are never to be seen at any games, at any level, unless it is as a VIP.

This, I believe, is a core issue to the attempt to get rid of Billings. Billings favours a revised governance model, where the Board steps away from interfering in day to day operations, leaving the running of ASA to skilled individuals hired for their talent. Neill Turnbull, Margaret Dunlop and Leanne Crowley, the most recent of the departed, (not forgetting Anita Cahoon either) were running their elements of the program effectively. Hayne got tossed after last year’s AGM from the referee standing committee, because of his inability to keep his mitts out of the mix (that and a few instances of abuse of power/privilege and position).

With a revised governance model the Board becomes a Board, not a group feathering their own nest and influencing decisions to the benefit of their compadres. Thus Billings becomes a threat and must be eliminated, along with all those skilled, talented and competent individuals in the office.

Why should anyone care outside of Alberta? Because this is exactly the same crisis fomenting at CSA – a revised governance model versus a cabal with their paws in the pocketbook and on the rule book.

Hayne got tossed after last year’s AGM from the referee standing committee, because of his inability to keep his mitts out of the mix (that and a few instances of abuse of power/privilege and position).

Isn't it sad that this individual also finds himself at the root of one of the complaints against Billings. Hayne has complained that Billings was attempting to embarrass and humiliate him. What was Billings offense? He attempted to require Hayne to provide backup documentation for his cell phone bill expense and not just the cover page with the $400-500 total charge. If the expense is legitimate why wouldn't you be willing to provide the back up?

A couple of years ago I had the misfortune of sitting with Mr. Hayne at a dinner event. It was easily the longest night of my life. I have never spent an evening with someone who spent so much time talking about himself and all his wonderful accomplishments. (even if they are imaginary) He didn't even stop to breathe

Is there actually going to be a meeting b/w the Govt /Charpentier/Billings today?

I'm not sure. I'd be interested to hear the outcome of any meeting that does take place. Which group is authorized to speak for ASA?

I'm not sure. I'd be interested to hear the outcome of any meeting that does take place. Which group is authorized to speak for ASA?

At this point I'd be surprised if there's a meeting until after an agreement is signed or there's a court order. I think the latter is more likely as I suspect Mario will make unacceptable demands and therefore scuttle the agreement thereby forcing a court order. He would then put the blame on the new Board and try to get CSA to make a public statement. It's interesting that the Mario board is carrying on as before. There was still a security guard on Friday and looks like they're still planning on sending those 2 guys as ASA reps to national all-stars. All they need to do is try and suspend or fire somebody and it will be business as usual. We'll see what happens on Wednesdy in court.

I'm also interested in what Mr. Innes's financial qualifications were that made him eligible to run for the Financial Director position. The Bylaws state the Director should have "suitable" qualifications. Does a career of jumping from company to company and running a website constitute "qualifications", or is Mr. Innes a certified professional. My understanding is that he is not. Does anyone else know?

Just for fun I took a peak at Colin's profile on LinkedIn. He certainly thinks highly of himself

Colin Innes’s Summary

Demonstrated considerable repeatable success in creating strategic business development initiatives that drive profitable corporate growth through added product value, team management, acquisitions, partnerships, and alliances. A visionary, entrepreneur, people motivator, results driven professional offering over 20 years of solid experience in the sales and marketing, financial, operations, communications, production, web development and services, and online and offline advertising space.

Colin Innes’s Specialties:

Award winning sales and marketing results,leadership, staff management, motivation, recruitment, measurement, training, remote management, business and customer acquisitions success, strategic thinker, corporate funding, venture capital, angel funding and private investment dealings, board of director experience, financial management, revenue modeling, operations management, enterprise web solutions, software development and project management, web applications

His recent actions sure do back up his claims of being an expert in staff management and motivation. I've said it before, but it bears repeating. "Terminations will continue until Morale Improves"

Colin forgot to add - Expert at getting fellow employees to leave present company and follow Colin to new company where Colin has been offered higher position if he brings top sales personnel and clients from previous employer. I believe that was his actual career path as opposed to the BS he put on LinkedIn.

Thanks coach-why would ASA pay him for it? How does Colin get paid for something that CMSA has anyway? Did ASA pay for something so CMSA could get it? Colin got over $80,000 from ASA for this but i see nothing on ASA.

Any details? By the way-as soon as i opened it i got a virus alert!!

Archived