Impact - TFC Rivalry

Besides the obvious reasons, is there something that occurred to cause such a rivalry and hatred between the supporters of both clubs?

Personally, I think we should not even use the world hatred.

There is a big difference between a small number of drunk people that do stupid things, and two groups hating each other.

If you say you hate a team, it's in the context of sports, people know what you mean. But in the context of supporters groups these are 'real' people not a professional entity like a team.

Besides the obvious reasons, is there something that occurred to cause such a rivalry and hatred between the supporters of both clubs?

Aside from the historical Toronto-Montreal rivalry (And English v. French)... I think the real TFC-Impact rivalary started after the inaugural V-Cup. You can pose the same question to Sounders-Whitecaps. Vancouver and Seattle share many traits as cities, I can't think of two cities that share so many of the same values and traits. Aside from history, I'd point to proximity and the CAscadia Cup.

Two things that the Impact and TFC shares (A Cup Torny on the line & proximity).

I don't hate the ECS or Sounders at all, sure there is a rivaly borne of many matches against each other, but the Sounders and ECS have always been classy... sadly we can't say the same thing of the Timbers Army and Porkland.

Hate them with a passion. (One thing the ECS and Southsiders agree on 100%)

ECS would never root for Porkland if the Cascadia cup was left to Vancouver or Porkland,

Same with us involving Seattle vs Porkland.

Keep in mind our dealings with the Portland lot has been really good over the last two seasons, but a few run ins with them in the not too distant past, plus the antics of their supporters vs the ECS has both sides looking at the Timbits with hatred, for the most part.

The TFC vs Mtl rivalry is surely borne out of a geographical closeness and the anglo v franco thing that goes throughout Canada... Same thing with Vancouver loving to Hate Toronto, inferiority complex meets the perception of the west being pissed on for eons...

I'm a type of fan with a favorite team in eery league. Obviously the Impact is #1, but as Canada's lone representative (temporarily)in the MLS, I have followed FC. When they play the Impact I enjoy the rivalry but IMO it won't mean a lot in itself until both teams are in the same league.

I find it hard to hate the Impact. I hate the HABS, yes, but I've been to Montreal a number of times and it's a great city, and so far, the Impact and their fans have given me no reason to dislike them. And I also feel the Impact's organization and ownership is more dedicated to winning than TFC's; if I didn't live in the GTA, I would probably prefer the Impact.

Also, right now I don't think we can afford to be too proud, I cheer for all 3 pro Canadian clubs because for the sake of Canadian soccer as a whole I want to see them all do well.

On the field, TFC winning in Montreal twice, and the Impact lifting the Cup in Toronto is what happened.

Off the field, there have been run-ins with various supporter groups, AND you add the feeling (in MTL) that the TFC fans are mainly plastics and Johnny-come-latelys (we used to play against the Lynx, after all, we've probably seen more Lynx games than TFC supporters have). Add the inferiority complex (MLS-USL) and boom! Currently, TFC is backed by more people, more media and more supporters (home and away) than the Impact, and we fully expect to be at the same popular level as them when we get to MLS. Toronto travels with 500 while we travel with 50, it's still rather uneven.

On top of that, add the historic Montreal-Toronto rivalry and you've got something powerful.

I get a visceral feeling when I see a TFC shirt or scarf in the street in Montreal, that's what it means to the fans.

On the field, TFC winning in Montreal twice, and the Impact lifting the Cup in Toronto is what happened.

Off the field, there have been run-ins with various supporter groups, AND you add the feeling (in MTL) that the TFC fans are mainly plastics and Johnny-come-latelys (we used to play against the Lynx, after all, we've probably seen more Lynx games than TFC supporters have). Add the inferiority complex (MLS-USL) and boom! Currently, TFC is backed by more people, more media and more supporters (home and away) than the Impact, and we fully expect to be at the same popular level as them when we get to MLS. Toronto travels with 500 while we travel with 50, it's still rather uneven.

On top of that, add the historic Montreal-Toronto rivalry and you've got something powerful.

I get a visceral feeling when I see a TFC shirt or scarf in the street in Montreal, that's what it means to the fans.

I felt that in Newfoundland, thankfully I saw more people who liked the Impact.

Currently, TFC is backed by more people, more media and more supporters (home and away) than the Impact, and we fully expect to be at the same popular level as them when we get to MLS.

I wouldn't count on things to even out that much even when MLS goes to Montreal. I'm a TFC fan, but i can understand the expected frustration...

See, I'm an Oilers fan. In Alberta, they got a lot of coverage, but so did the Leafs. When I moved to Toronto for school, I fully expected the Toronto media to cover the Oilers as much as we covered the Leafs. Didn't happen....

It might be different in Montreal cause the French-language media kinda shelters Quebeckers from coverage bias in English-Canada. (In fact, my colleague from Quebec City would argue that the Quebec media establishment, particularly in Sports is very Montreal-centric as it is Toronto centric in English Canada)

In Quebec, most people don't even pay attention to the Toronto-centric media, as we have our own coverage, RDS (and Radio-Canada) for local teams, local papers and CBC for local feeds (ie Habs on Saturday nights). What I meant by evening out is the amount of support in the city and coverage in local media. Most Montrealers are unaffected by the Habs coverage on TSN or in the Globe and Mail, for example.

Archived