Earthquakes waive Ribeiro

nolando

Probably a victim of the impending roster deadline:-

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/03/najar_signs_with_dc_united.html

The MLS roster deadline is Wednesday at 5 p.m. for 20 senior and four developmental players. While the developmental classification remains in place in the new collective bargaining agreement, developmental contracts no longer exist, the Insider has learned. Other details in the CBA are expected to be made public within two weeks. The pact must first be ratified by the players and MLS board of governors.

TFC better be checking in to see if he could be added, TFC is looking thin and a domestic utility peice to replace Gerba could be nice, and hopefully Saric and Cann sign before the first match. TFC needs to fill that squad up now. Riberio seems like he could be servicable for TFC. Justr a matter of Preki sees anythign in him, but then if he likes Cann, Ribeiro isn't much worse if not mayeb a little better.

But definitely looks like a move to get to 24 players before first kick off. TFC could see a few more quality guys go on waivers they could potentially add.

^^ I keep thinking the same thing. If TFC weren't all that impressed with Pozniak than why would they think a very similar calibre (and albeit vastly different style) player in Cann will be the answer to their age-old problems?

You can almost hear the refurbished criticism of "Canadian players" already, Mo defending himself to critics, and he hasn't even been signed yet.

^^ I keep thinking the same thing. If TFC weren't all that impressed with Pozniak than why would they think a very similar calibre (and albeit vastly different style) player in Cann will be the answer to their age-old problems?

You can almost hear the refurbished criticism of "Canadian players" already, Mo defending himself to critics, and he hasn't even been signed yet.

Sad considering our best players are Canadian.

Anyhow, Ribeiro is a decent MLS player. He would do well in a TFC uniform.

You are thinking that the same people who made the soccer decisions for TFC when Pozniak was let go are those who are running TFC now.

This is Preki's team now, Mo just does all the grunt work for him. IIRC, Preki actually acquired Pozniak at Chivas (although he did let him go soon thereafter).

I haven't seen enough of either Cann or Ribeiro to make a sound argument for or against either of them. Ribeiro seemed liked a good run around/"work rate" guy for SJ, Cann looks like he has some aerial presence (at least, I hope that his height translates into that), but besides that they strike me as squad guys rather than starters. Who knows, maybe Preki will give Ribeiro a looksy.

What are you talking about?

Grizzly is not a Caps fan, and I've been a Voyageur considerably longer than you have. But thanks for playing along and "telling me how it is" around here.

If you really think what Grizzly posted was "objective" and not at all trolling, then I sincerely hope you don't whine about it when far more abrasive TFC fans start posting in your section of the forum on a very regular basis.

Grizzly is not troll, but he definitely was trolling in the post I responded to (in a completely different thread, btw). I gave a sarcastic response to his post, and that was the end of it.

Why you decided to chime in is beyond me.

getting back on topic, Ribiero needs to go somewhere where he will play regularly. That might not be in MLS. If the relationship with Impact is poisoned, then he needs to likely look elsewhere.

as for Cann, Impact fans don't have fond memories but he's done relatively well in his few chances with MNT and the current NT coaching staff thinks relatively highly of him. He too needs to go somewhere where he will play and, with Garcia as his competition, maybe TFC is not the worst place for him.

getting back on topic, Ribiero needs to go somewhere where he will play regularly. That might not be in MLS. If the relationship with Impact is poisoned, then he needs to likely look elsewhere.

as for Cann, Impact fans don't have fond memories but he's done relatively well in his few chances with MNT and the current NT coaching staff thinks relatively highly of him. He too needs to go somewhere where he will play and, with Garcia as his competition, maybe TFC is not the worst place for him.

??? Cann has looked completely out of place in most of his MNT games. As an Impact fan, my memories of him are mostly those of celebrating goals after he lost coverage on one of our strikers. I would be very happy if he is a starting defender when we go to Toronto. He never impressed me much as USL player so I wouldn't expect much of him as a MLS player. I was pretty surprised when he went to Europe because there were so many other Caps players who were much more deserving. I am not surprised the European adventure didn't last very long or result in a lot of playing time.

Ribeiro on the other hand could contribute and be a useful squad player in the MLS. Nevertheless, if Ribeiro and Cann are the level of player that TFC is counting on as steady starters they are going to have a tough year.

Archived