Canadians in Norway 2010

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the league starting early to make room for a world cup break?

Yes. There is usually a short sumer break, but this year it will be longer.

That's a good move for Kenny. AIK are a relatively big side and he should be challenged in Europe. Having said that I wasn't super impressed when he played on loan at Fredrikstad last season. Was he still on contract to Lyn?

He was on contract with Tromsø through 2010, but had played on load with both Lyn and Fredrikstad. I hope he does well with AIK, but he did not take the league by storm in either of those cases, being a little too inconsistent for a top-flight no.1 keeper. His best is very, very good indeed, but you could not count on him performing game after game.

And so the fun has begun. Chris Pozniak and Haugesund had the honour of being playing in the opening match when they travelled to Bergen to play Brann. The game ended 0-0 and Poz played 90. The 2nd half was all Brann and Haugesund were lucky to get away with a point.

The pitch looked kind of like a freshly-plowed field.

Olivier Occéan started on the bench as Lillestrøm travelled to Ålesund to open their season. Lillestrøm usually don't do well in the west-coast town, and today was no exception as they lost 3-0 in a game that was closer than the score would indicate. Occéan came on in the 82nd minute at 2-0, but could do nothing to affect the score.

And so the fun has begun. Chris Pozniak and Haugesund had the honour of being playing in the opening match when they travelled to Bergen to play Brann. The game ended 0-0 and Poz played 90. The 2nd half was all Brann and Haugesund were lucky to get away with a point.

The pitch looked kind of like a freshly-plowed field.

Saw the highlights of the Brann-Haugesund match on Saturday and the new boys didn't do too bad in the 1st half, including Pozniak. The state of the pitch though was horrible but not unexpected. I still can't believe the early start to the season and from what I saw the pitch at Molde was pretty snow covered too. I'll have to see how badly the Ulleval cut up tonight from the VIF-Viking match.

EDIT: Finished watching the Valerenga-Viking match and Lars Hirschfeld got the clean sheet in a 2-0 win for VIF. Didn't really have to make a save as Viking couldn't hit the target.

Round two starts Saturday with Vålerenga and Lars Hirschfeld travelling to Oslo neighbours Stabæk. Both won their opening matches, and showed some offensive prowess. Stabæk are both more dangerous up front and more vulnerable at the back, while Vålerenga have some of Norway's most exciting young offensive players. Should be a fun game for the neutral.

On Sunday, Haugesund host Strømsgodset in a very winnable game for Poz and his teammates. Strømsgodset were absolutely terrible playing away last season and with a win Haugesund would have 4 points and a very positive start for everyone's relegation favourite.

Lillestrøm also host Tromsø on Sunday; look for Occéan to start on the bench again here, although he will come in if the "canaries" need muscle up front.

Btw, for those who are interested: a complete list of fixtures in the norwegian season, with dates and times, as well as results for games alsready played.

http://fotball.fvn.no/stat/index.jsp?stats=center&type=seasontable&seasonId=7430&groupId=all#/stat/index.jsp?stats=center&type=fixturelist&seasonId=7430&groupId=all&service=stat_only

Pozniak played 90 and picked up a yellow as his FK Haugesund drew 2-2 with Strømsgodset on Sunday. Great start for him given he has started and full the full 90 in both games so far.

http://www.wsn.com/2010/03/22/football/match-summaries/norway/tippeligaen/fk-haugesund_vs_stromsgodset/

OO stayed on the bench as Lillestrom beat Tromso 2-0:

http://www.wsn.com/2010/03/22/football/match-summaries/norway/tippeligaen/lillestrom-sk_vs_tromso-il/

Lars went 90 in a 1-1 draw with Stabæk. Will he be Canada's #1 again??(the eternal v's question):

http://www.wsn.com/2010/03/21/football/match-summaries/norway/tippeligaen/stabak-if_vs_valerenga-if/

(Sorry to pip you, Start, but I had a few minutes to kill, and have been wondering how our boys did this weekend - what's up with OO?? How did he fall out of favour, I wonder? Or is it a niggling injury or something?)

(Sorry to pip you, Start, but I had a few minutes to kill, and have been wondering how our boys did this weekend - what's up with OO?? How did he fall out of favour, I wonder? Or is it a niggling injury or something?)

No problem; I'm not possessive. :)

OOs problem is that Lillestrøm have acquired two new stikers in the off-season, leaving quite a battle for the starting spots up front. Occéan and Sundgot are in reality fighting for one of those spots as they are very similar players. Sundgot is Lillestrøms all-time leading scorer and seems to be on very good form right now, so until that changes OO will start on the bench.

I think for the time being he'll get most of his playing time when LSK are behind and need someone to pound down a defensive wall. Also; Sundgot is aging, and will need more rest than he used to; Occéan should get some starts for him as the season drags on.

No problem; I'm not possessive. :)

OOs problem is that Lillestrøm have acquired two new stikers in the off-season, leaving quite a battle for the starting spots up front. Occéan and Sundgot are in reality fighting for one of those spots as they are very similar players. Sundgot is Lillestrøms all-time leading scorer and seems to be on very good form right now, so until that changes OO will start on the bench.

I think for the time being he'll get most of his playing time when LSK are behind and need someone to pound down a defensive wall. Also; Sundgot is aging, and will need more rest than he used to; Occéan should get some starts for him as the season drags on.

And don't forget Tarik Elyounoussi who is on loan from Heerenveen who I rate very highly from having watched him at Fredrikstad. Although we all support OO's career, if i were an LSK supporter (hard to even write for me), I'd have Elyounoussi and Sundgot ahead of OO; not to mention the excellent start that Ujah has had so far. Do you agree, Start fan in exile?

And don't forget Tarik Elyounoussi who is on loan from Heerenveen who I rate very highly from having watched him at Fredrikstad. Although we all support OO's career, if i were an LSK supporter (hard to even write for me), I'd have Elyounoussi and Sundgot ahead of OO; not to mention the excellent start that Ujah has had so far. Do you agree, Start fan in exile?

Definitely; Elyounoussi is one of the two I was referring to. He has the potential to be a truly great player, but suffered from a bad situation at Heerenveen. Since joining LSK he started game one as a striker and this one in the midfield, and will continue to start every game. Ujah has been a very positive surprise, but he is young and will have ups and downs. And Sundgot is the same kind of player as OO, but a little more dangerous in front of the net. OO will get playing time, but he will have to put up with starting on the bench a lot.

On the plus side for Canadians, Poz has shown he can handle the pace in the Tippeliga, and Lars seems ready to relive his glory days from his last stint in Norway.

Tam Nsaliwa is joining Lillestøm on loan from AEK though the end of June.

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/03/24/sport/fotball/tippeligaen/lillestrom/10988162/

*edit* What's his statua as a Canadian abroad? The norwegian papers identify him as a Canadian, but I saw one article that mentioned he bacame a German citizen and no longer plays for the MNT.

In short - should I include him in my updates here or not?

Weekend round-up of round 3 in Norway:

Lars Hirshfeld played a good game as his Vålerenga played to a 0-0 draw with Rosenborg in Oslo. The game was marred by a pitch in absolutely scandalous condition.

Tam Nsaliwa got his debut for Lillestrøm coming on in the 63 minute with the score already 6-0 for the canaries as they hosted Tippeliga-newcomers Hønefoss. 6-0 was also the final score. Olivier Occéan was neither on the pitch nor the bench and give en way Lillestrøms starting strikers are scoring, he's got a long way to go before he sees action. Visitors Hønefoss have yet to scroe a goal and are looking to add a striker before the transfer deadline March 31 and OOs name has come up in rumours.

Chris Pozniak played 90 as Haugesund suffered their first loss of the season, 4-1 away to Odd Grenland.

Norway round 4:

Lars Hirschfeld and Vålerenga travelled to Kristiansand to meet Start. They had a rather bad time of it, losing 5-3... Lars made som good saves early on, keeping his team in it but should have stopped both the 3-1 and 4-1 goals.

Chris Pozniak and Hagesund had a much better time of it, defeating visiting Hønefoss 5-1. Poz played 90.

Lillestrøm travelled to Stavanger to take on Viking in a game that ended 0-0. Tam Nsaliwa stayed on the bench the whole game, while Olivier Occéan did not dress.

Highlights Start-Vålerenga: http://vglive.no/#match=10001817&lv=highlights-10001817-smooth

Higlights Haugesund - Hønefoss: http://vglive.no/#match=10001823&lv=highlights-10001823-smooth

Watched the highlights of the Start-VIF match and agree that Lars made some good saves to keep it 1-0 but was at fault for the 4th goal (I think it was a mix up with Andre Muri); don't know if he could have been faulted for the Kleiven goal (start's 3rd); nice lob over Hirschfeld. Although my team lost, it must have been a good match to watch; although probably not as good as another Brann collapse at Molde. :-)

Archived