Canadians in Norway 2010

Looks like there's a small resurgence of Canadians in Norway this year. To my knowledge, there's:

Lars Hirshfeld - Vålerenga

Kenny Stamatopoulos - Tromsø

Olivier Occéan - Lillestrøm

Chris Pozniak - Haugesund

All four teams will play in the Tippeliga this season.

The season starts March 14th, and will finish early November. With 16 teams in the league, each team will play 30 matches. Bottom two are relegated while no. 14 will play a playoff vs. a team from the Adecco-liga (2nd tier).

Vålerenga, Tromsø and Lillestrøm are all well-established Tippeliga teams, while Haugesund are newly-promoted and will play at this level for the first time in some years.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today - Tuesday Jan. 26 - Tromsø and Vålerenga will play each other at the annual "La Manga Cup" at their training camp facilities in Spain. The other two teams in the tournament are Odd Grenland (also from the Norwegian Tippeliaga) and polish side Lech Poznan.

Live text tracker (Norwegian only): http://live.nettavisen.no/fotball/live/

For those with a grater than normal interest in Norwegian soccer; there is a pay-per-view web streaming option. It costs 79 NOK (approx $15) for all the matches in the La Manga Cups or 599 NOK (~$110) for a full-season pass.

http://live.fvn.no/open/

I tried this service once last year, and the video quality was pretty darn good. They also offer free highlights after the matches.

Daily paper VG offers a similar service - http://vglive.no/# as does broadcaster TV2 - http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=20

I think there is normally a break during any int'l competition regardless of whether Norway has qualified. I recall seeing Valerenga's fixture list awhile ago and this year is no exception.

BTW, glad to see you made in back from TO in one piece.

Today - Tuesday Jan. 26 - Tromsø and Vålerenga will play each other at the annual "La Manga Cup" at their training camp facilities in Spain. The other two teams in the tournament are Odd Grenland (also from the Norwegian Tippeliaga) and polish side Lech Poznan.

Live text tracker (Norwegian only): http://live.nettavisen.no/fotball/live/

Lars and Valerenga win the match, 2-1. Only goal conceded was on a PK. No Stamapoulos in this one.

Rudi, my understanding is that many Scandinavian sides go to La Manga for preseason training and arrange friendlies (sometimes pretty ad hoc) with whoever happens to be there at the same time. The La Manga Cup is an arranged tournament although I've never really followed that competition.

EDIT: Looks like the Valerenga-Tromso match is part of a La Manga tournament. Start fan in exile: can you tell who else is involved?

Tromsø and Vålerenga are joined by Odd Grenland and Polish side Lech Poznan for the "La Manga Cup 1". In a couple of weeks, Rosenborg, Stabæk, Molde and Brann will travel to Spain for the "La Manga Cup 2" - the one Rudi linked to. Other teams will also have training camps in La Manga throughout February. The La Manga Cups are part of these winter training camps each year, and various Norwegian sides are often joined by teams from other leagues that also run from spring to fall; ie. Sweden, Finland, Eastern Europe and MLS. Danish teams also come on occasion, as even though their league has a fall to spring season they take an extended winter break.

This site has a complete list of all winter fixtures being played at La Manga, including both La Manga Cups. Plenty of Norwegian and MLS teams in action as you'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
Btw, there are still games in the Norwegian pre-season. It's just that none of us over here care during the Olympics... :D

Back with updates sometime in early March.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with people here too. Yesterday, I wound up watching the Olympics instead of watching the footy I had recorded earlier in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Rosenborg are looking for another 'keeper after sending Rune Jarstein to Viking. Rumours have them expressing interest in Kenny Stamatopoulos, but these rumours have not been substantiated.

In the off-season Rosenborg brought in Swede Daniel Öhrlund as their new no. 1, so they are looking for a good backup as they prepare for their return to the CL this year.

Final weekend of friendlies before the Norwegian season starts on March 13.

On Friday Chris Pozniak and Hausgesund played to a 2-2 draw with Kongsvinger at La Manga. Pozniak started and played 90 at right back.

Also on Friday, Olivier Occéan's Lillestrøm lost 2-1 at Odd Grenland. Occéan was on the bench the whole game.

Vålerenga play at Sandefjord on Sunday; Lars Hirschfeld is expected to start.

Tromsø host Alta on Tuesday; Kenny Stamatopoulos will most likely start on the bench.

Interesting to see the season starting so early. I saw the state of the pitch of Brann's stadium ahead of Friday's 1st match of the season against Pozniak's FK Haugesund and it must be under 2 feet of snow. It's gotta be way worse up north.

Interesting to see the season starting so early. I saw the state of the pitch of Brann's stadium ahead of Friday's 1st match of the season against Pozniak's FK Haugesund and it must be under 2 feet of snow. It's gotta be way worse up north.

It is waay too early to start the season here in Norway, but they'll be ok up north. Tromsø have artificial grass, and they are used to dealing with snow. Places like Bergen (Brann), Stavanger (Viking) and Kristiansand (Start) where they play on natural grass and the winter has ben unusually cold and snowy are in worse trouble. According to what I've seen in the papers, Brann are in the worst shape, not so much on the pitch but more the stands. Large parts of the stands are not covered, and if there is any more snowfall this week they'll have to close large parts of the stands as they don't have the manpower to clear them and they'll be dangerously slippery.

Kenny Stamatopulos is leaving Norway for Swedish champions AIK: http://fotball.aftenposten.no/eliteserien/article163018.ece

AIK sold their no. 1 keeper Daniel Öhrlund to Rosenborg this past winter and his replacement sfuffered a knee injury his last pre-season game. That means Kenny will start the season next weekend as no. 1.

AIK will attempt to defend both their league and cup titles from last year, and will play CL qualifying.

That's a good move for Kenny. AIK are a relatively big side and he should be challenged in Europe. Having said that I wasn't super impressed when he played on loan at Fredrikstad last season. Was he still on contract to Lyn?

Archived