Harmse to Houston

BearcatSA

Wow, I had totally forgot about Harmse existence....I'm wondering why he wasn't invited to the Florida/Jamaica MNT camp.

Yeah, when the camp roster was released I was also wondering about his whereabouts and whether or not he had solved his tendonitis issue. Houston suddenly have midfield depth issues with the departures of Clark and Holden to Europe and they are looking to get some experienced depth, so I'm guessing his injury situation is not an issue. I've never rated him much as a player (at least with the MNT) but I agree with Kottonmouthed that he can help an MLS team in a utility capacity. Maybe he'll be making a return to Vancouver in 2011.

Here's Jeff Carlisle's take on the Houston situation:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=730738&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

But even if some holes remain in Houston's lineup, they have a AAA-rated insurance policy in the form of manager Dominic Kinnear, whose ability to fill holes in his roster via trades has been impressive over the years. Even on those occasions when his acquisitions haven't become consistent starters -- as was the case last year with Dominic Oduro and Cam Weaver -- at the least they've provided the kind of depth and variety to help the club ride out any difficult periods.

That looks to be precisely the case with Houston's acquisition of journeyman midfielder Kevin Harmse. Harmse is by no means a world-beater, and he's already on his fourth MLS club in as many years. But he at least provides an experienced alternative in case injuries or international commitments come calling, and Kinnear has proven adept at maximizing the performances of one-time castoffs, with Boswell and Davis among the prime examples.

I think this will be a good opportunity for Harmse: he's in the right system with the right manager.

Here's Jeff Carlisle's take on the Houston situation:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=730738&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

But even if some holes remain in Houston's lineup, they have a AAA-rated insurance policy in the form of manager Dominic Kinnear, whose ability to fill holes in his roster via trades has been impressive over the years. Even on those occasions when his acquisitions haven't become consistent starters -- as was the case last year with Dominic Oduro and Cam Weaver -- at the least they've provided the kind of depth and variety to help the club ride out any difficult periods.

That looks to be precisely the case with Houston's acquisition of journeyman midfielder Kevin Harmse. Harmse is by no means a world-beater, and he's already on his fourth MLS club in as many years. But he at least provides an experienced alternative in case injuries or international commitments come calling, and Kinnear has proven adept at maximizing the performances of one-time castoffs, with Boswell and Davis among the prime examples.

I think this will be a good opportunity for Harmse: he's in the right system with the right manager.

Good for Canada too! More depth in midfield for WCQ 2012... granted unless he becomes a regular starter and performer for Houston he won't be in any A squads

Archived