18th July - TFC vs Houston Dynamo [R]

Really smart move playing a game with a 1pm k.o. in the middle of July against a team from Houston who are used to playing in hot and humid conditions. CBC have a lot to answer for. Chris Cummins has been a pleasant surprise so far in that he is a definite upgrade as a tactician from John Carver despite his key credential for the TFC assistant's job possibly being that he had an even less impressive playing career than last season's head honcho. :) If he can show an ability to get the tactics right when a high tempo North European style is the last thing you should do, I'd give him the job. On the flip side, another performance like the recent Houston and RSL away games would start to constitute a trend.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Really smart move playing a game with a 1pm k.o. in the middle of July against a team from Houston who are used to playing in hot and humid conditions. CBC have a lot to answer for.

Weather won't be an issue. Currently forecast to be partly cloudy and 21 degrees at kick-off. But yes, it could have been much worse.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

^ CBC wouldn't have known about the day or time of the Canada-Honduras game until last weekend.

Checked the weather, there's a 60% chance of precipitation for tomorrow...

So it may not be a dry game after all...;)

Anyone know where I could find a single for this tomorrow (an extra or through one of the supporters groups boards)? I'm downtown from like 12 until the Honduras game and I'll be damned if I'm going to see the Jays play.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Really smart move playing a game with a 1pm k.o. in the middle of July against a team from Houston who are used to playing in hot and humid conditions. CBC have a lot to answer for.

I believe it was actually ESPN who asked for this game to be scheduled at that time, as they are using it as a lead-in to the Seattle-Chelsea friendly.

Funny how people are still posting about the game being dry, but nothing about the game itself.

DeRo scores his 6th league goal of the season in the 38th minute. A couple of minutes earlier Serioux was subbed off with an apparent left knee injury after making a brave tackle on Oduro.

Finishes 1-1. Vitti was great in the first half. Not much of a factor once the adjustments were made tactically after Dichio came on for Serioux unfortunately. He was very close to getting a red for a second bookable offence midway through the second half and probably should have been subbed at that point. Same old TFC in the summer months story of start off at a high tempo then run out of gas later in the game when it can't be sustained for the full 90 and switch to speculative long balls as the other teams slowly starts to dominate.

Lots of chances for TFC. Dero hit the goalie from a sharp angle, Barret puts 2 over, Vitti puts one wide. Then Dero scores. He gets the shot on target most of the time and that is the key. They others make it too easy on the goalie. First half 1-0 and looking pretty good.

Second half with Adrian out DD should have buried the pass from Dero and he knew it. More missed nets and Barrett's chip over gets cleared. Game ends at 1-1 with TFC having more chances but unable to claim the full 3 points. Oh well 1 is better than zero.

I can't wait to see Ali Gerba play as striker for TFC. 8 out of the next 12 games on the road and I know he will come up big for them and score like he always does. Barrett/Vitti will just have to play the sub role.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I can't wait to see Ali Gerba play as striker for TFC. 8 out of the next 12 games on the road and I know he will come up big for them and score like he always does. Barrett/Vitti will just have to play the sub role.

If he gets off to a slow start in the scoring department I wonder if he'll have a pretty long honeymoon period with the supporters?

Big stretch of road matches in the dog days of summer soccer. As BBTB notes, we'll see if this '09 team can adapt its style of play to get results.

Attakora continues to impress with his defensive contributions.

TFC really blew it today. a very important opportunity against a weakened opponent was thrown away.

With 2/3 of the remaining schedule taking them on the road, not getting 3 points today might just bit them in the butt at season's end.

DeRo and Vitti were very good in 1st half. No one (other than Nana) was all that impressive in the 2nd half.

Pretty bad case of ball watching on the Dynamo goal

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

TFC really blew it today. a very important opportunity against a weakened opponent was thrown away.

With 2/3 of the remaining schedule taking them on the road, not getting 3 points today might just bit them in the butt at season's end.

DeRo and Vitti were very good in 1st half. No one (other than Nana) was all that impressive in the 2nd half.

Pretty bad case of ball watching on the Dynamo goal

Agreed on all counts. This one hurts.

All I saw is a team that played soccer properly,controlling and passing the ball,finding the open player even if he was way back in defense.Great to watch and I thought we were better.To bad about that penalty I had to suffer through two lousy penalties and none of them were the correct call by the referee.

Archived