Costa Rica gets a third CL spot

Real Esteli is not a cupcake though. They played quite well against the Impact and were definitely a better team than Joe Public who we played in the following round. I doubt there is that much difference in playing level between Herediano and Esteli. Strange that they didn't improve their stadium up to standard though considering they were not allowed to play there last year and had a whole year to fix things. I wonder what the CONCACAF stadium standards are.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Esteli calling them a cupcake but Herediano is certainly a step up. They're one of the biggest clubs in Costa Rica with several internationals.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

That surprises me as Concacaf first said that if Esteli wasn't in orde with its stadium, the spot would go to a team from Panama

CONCACAF wasn't willing to have three teams playing out of the one approved stadium in the country. I'm assuming scheduling conflicts would be the problem.

We didn't play any Costa Rican teams but I think the league is similar in level to the Honduran league. I found the Honduran teams to be overrated and not that much better than Esteli and these were the top teams from the league. Herediano has three Costa Rican internationals, two keepers one of whom starts sometimes and the other who is just a backup and one forward who sometimes starts and sometimes stays on the bench. In last year's CL Alajuelense was eliminated by Puerto Rico and Saprissa didn't make it out of the group stage. I am not convinced that the third place team from this league will be that strong either. Esteli on the other hand is a better team than it is given credit for so I doubt the difference in playing level between the two is significant. Either team has a chance of beating the Caps but I would put the Caps as favourites against both of them. Hopefully if the Caps can get a good run going the Canadian team will get a bye to the group stage. If they are looking for an easy opponent they need to draw one of the Caribbean teams with the exception of Puerto Rico. I don't see why Belize had a spot last year anyway because they certainly don't deserve one. Last year their team Hankook Verdes lost both of their games to Cruz Azul 6-0 and I doubt Cruz Azul played many of their starters.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Esteli was actually one of the tougher teams we played against, for sure.

It was a tense match.

I agree it has been tough against them but it's more because of ourselves than because of the quality of the opponent. We just couldn't finish (seems like it's a trend for Canadian clubs...)

The Costa Rican league is stronger than the Honduran league and results over the past couple of decades bolster that argument. Tico squads won the tournament back-to-back in 2004 and '05 and also had a strong run back in the 90's. They generally make it further into the tournament and have a traditional head-to-head advantage over Honduran teams.

Saprissa might have had a rough ride last year, but they were finalists the year before. They won in '05 and were finalists in 2004...

Additionally, if you look at past results from the UNCAF club championship the Nicaraguan clubs were consistently the worst performers aside from Belize. I know Esteli only lost to Montreal by one but the fact is that Costa Rican clubs (not just Saprissa) have proven with their body of work to be far superior to Nicaraguan clubs.

quote:Originally posted by nfitz

Are these "stadium standards" published anywhere? I have to wonder about Swangard ...

I beleive the requirements are mostly about the infrustructure than anything else. They include; proper changing facilities, proper floodlight facilities, concessions facilities, and washroom facilities. There might be a few more.

I went to the champions league regulations on concacaf's website and to be exact here is a list of things required for the stadium

- there must be an approved stadium within the teams country

- field quality

- all games must be lit evenly to 800 lux

- must be a backup power supply generator for lighting system

- serperate locker room facilities for each team which includes hot water

- areas for post game interviews and conferences

- areas for at minimum 2 broadcast booths

- media rooms

- public address system

I think its pretty bad that there isnt at least one stadium in every country with at least that much.

And tuscan the draw last year was made available on concacafs youtube site the day after it happened.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

I went to the champions league regulations on concacaf's website and to be exact here is a list of things required for the stadium

- there must be an approved stadium within the teams country

- field quality

- all games must be lit evenly to 800 lux

- must be a backup power supply generator for lighting system

- serperate locker room facilities for each team which includes hot water

- areas for post game interviews and conferences

- areas for at minimum 2 broadcast booths

- media rooms

- public address system

I think its pretty bad that there isnt at least one stadium in every country with at least that much.

And tuscan the draw last year was made available on concacafs youtube site the day after it happened.

Thats why FIFA has the Goal program to build adequate stadia.. they funded one for Jack Warner in Trinidad.. on the Island of Tobago.

What could be hoped for is FIFA would select Esteli to get a Goal project and allow for a international standard stadium. FIFA could help influence the central government to allow it to happen now that Ortega is back in power and American Contra influence is lessoned.

It has to be remembered Esteli was a Sandanista strong hold ... during the revolution.

Archived