Real Madrid to play in Toronto

kyam

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

Looks like Kaka is now a Real Madrid player.

Will this now make anyone not interested change their minds?

Radio report. Doubt it seeing as Kaka said this about it:

""I'll tell you this for the last time, the very last. I don't want to leave Milan. To the millions of Milan fans, I tell you that I've made my choice. I've said I want to stay. Leave me in peace, please," Kaka told La Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring on the Dutch oops Real and than we will be able to learn what needs to be.I whish that if this game takes place Canadian coaches will be invited to the practise and at the same time even a seminar will be organized.

I don't know Huntelaar,met Ruud,Robben and Vandervaart.Will be one big fun day for some of us in the Dutch community.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Now I understand why they changed their schedule for a friendly game seeing as they can't actually qualify to play any real international matches!

You're no better than Mr. Impact with your trolling.

I'm curious, how many friendlies are in the STH package this year? Were the Canada Champ. matches included too?

Cause if the RM game is not included in the package then are we going to see the usual 2 friendlies and then RM as a third one?

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

1 Friendly + 1 CONCACAF CL Qualifer (oops!!)

Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch! [V]

So for those of us that have a ticket to the friendly, should we be advised to not get our hopes up of seeing RM?

Toronto FC to host Spanish Giants Real Madrid

The match is scheduled for Friday, August 7 at 7:30pm at BMO Field.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090604&content_id=5141598&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

"Ticket information for the Real Madrid game will be released Monday, June 8; however, Toronto FC season-seat holders and members of both the Gold and Red waiting lists will each have an advanced window with which to purchase tickets at a special loyalty price. Information regarding date and time of each pre-sale window will be sent directly to these groups."

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Now I understand why they changed their schedule for a friendly game seeing as they can't actually qualify to play any real international matches!

I am surprised this gem has not received much attention. So last year, TFC had to call up a scout and a CSL player (the man himself) just to manage to put 11 guys on the field against Chivas when they were shorthanded by injuries and national team callups. They appealed to MLS to reschedule that one game and the answer was NO WAY.

Yet a cash grab for a friendly with a European team is reason enough for the league to change its schedule? This is bush league stuff.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I am surprised this gem has not received much attention. So last year, TFC had to call up a scout and a CSL player (the man himself) just to manage to put 11 guys on the field against Chivas when they were shorthanded by injuries and national team callups. They appealed to MLS to reschedule that one game and the answer was NO WAY.

Yet a cash grab for a friendly with a European team is reason enough for the league to change its schedule? This is bush league stuff.

From what I've hear, MLS changed it's own rule because of that Chivas debacle last year.

Doesn't make the rescheduling of a league match for a friendly any less absurd, though.

Ticket info. released today:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090608&content_id=5210872&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

"Ticket prices will range from $140 - $215. Season Seat Holders and members of Toronto FC waiting lists will get a special loyalty discount with prices starting at $125."

Here's the breakdown for ticket prices to the game:

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/pdf/2009/real_madrid_seating_chart.pdf

quote:Originally posted by lsir

They should have hosted at rogers centre and reduce the ticket prices and attracting a larger crowd!!

I'm sure the Jays would be happy to just up and leave from the stadium they own.

Guest Jeffery S.

That is expensive. Even a Barça-Madrid league game would go for cheapest ticket at 90 euros, so this is pricey for a friendly. But it was inevitable considering the capacity, which is not enough to cover the cost of having them play, that will likely be picked up by Spanish tv.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

That is expensive. Even a Barça-Madrid league game would go for cheapest ticket at 90 euros, so this is pricey for a friendly. But it was inevitable considering the capacity, which is not enough to cover the cost of having them play, that will likely be picked up by Spanish tv.

The last super classico in Madrid was a sellout. My dad was in Madrid and wanted to go to the game...cheapest price he could find for a ticket from the "secondary" market was 300 euros.

However, I would rather see Osasuna v madrid rather than TFC v Madrid.

Madrid will be nice guests, play at 3/4 speed to avoid injury on crappy temporary grass (remember that crap surface they had in Seattle for Canada v Brazil last year?) and will still stuff TFC 4-1 or 5-1. If they played at 100% with a full roster of starters, it would be embarrassing.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm sure the Jays would be happy to just up and leave from the stadium they own.

What about August 6th? The Jays don't play that day. A Rogers Centre friendly could have satisfied the season ticket holders by giving them a good price while at the same time allowing the team to gauge everybody else. A 20,000 seat venue just doesn't make sense for a game like this.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

The last super classico in Madrid was a sellout. My dad was in Madrid and wanted to go to the game...cheapest price he could find for a ticket from the "secondary" market was 300 euros.

However, I would rather see Osasuna v madrid rather than TFC v Madrid.

Madrid will be nice guests, play at 3/4 speed to avoid injury on crappy temporary grass (remember that crap surface they had in Seattle for Canada v Brazil last year?) and will still stuff TFC 4-1 or 5-1. If they played at 100% with a full roster of starters, it would be embarrassing.

In Barcelona you can get tickets same day at regular listed prices through ATM machines, for absolutely any match. No mark up, no scalping. The system whereby season ticket holders can release theirs if they can't make it works wonderfully, so a person planning to go whose father in law dies the night before releases his tickets, and you can buy them the morning of the game. Great system.

Guest Jeffery S.

Manchester accepted the 80 million pound bid by Madrid this morning for Cristiano Ronaldo.

Going to be an interesting Liga next year for sure. The only thing I am pleased about is that they are doing nothing to improve their defence, since all Madrid wants is flashy "galacticos" once again.

Is it worth paying $140 to see the 2007 & 2008 FIFA players of the year? If MLSE waited another week, they could be selling the cheapest tickets for $200. How often will a fan in Toronto get a chance to see these two players in there backyard? Even if they only play one half each, I think it would be worth the cost of a ticket. This is a treat for a soccer fan.

To be honest, I don't see the big deal is here. I am happy that Real Madrid is coming to Toronto to take on TFC. Now that RM got Kaka and Ronaldo, it is going to be hard for TFC supporters to convince soccer fans in Toronto to boycott this game.

MLSE and City of Toronto is going to make a lot of money. Hopefully this game convinces the city to get rid of field turf and install grass and let community pub leagues play at Lakeshore.

quote:Originally posted by masster

What about August 6th? The Jays don't play that day. A Rogers Centre friendly could have satisfied the season ticket holders by giving them a good price while at the same time allowing the team to gauge everybody else. A 20,000 seat venue just doesn't make sense for a game like this.

From what I understand, the Aug. 7 date was a "take it or leave it" type deal from Real. Plus, I don't think the Dome could be converted from real grass in the soccer configuration to the FieldTurf baseball configuration that quickly.

Everything I've heard (from very good sources) is that TFC very much wanted a glamour friendly at the Dome this year.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

MLSE and City of Toronto is going to make a lot of money. Hopefully this game convinces the city to get rid of field turf and install grass and let community pub leagues play at Lakeshore.

The costs of hosting Real Madrid are astronomical. Their appearance fee alone is rumoured to be a minimum of $1 million US.

I'm sure TFC is making a healthy profit (assuming the game sells out), but I doubt they will make a "ton" of money from this game.

Their margins on regular games (free of appearance fees, paying opposing team's outlandish expenses, temporary grass, increased security, etc.) are probably similar.

Archived