Real Madrid to play in Toronto

kyam

Guest Jeffery S.

So who has the rights to this game, who controls them? Is it MLS itself? I am asking as I want to know who is selling the tv rights internationally.

The game would be seen at 1.30 AM in Spain on a Friday. It is a bit late, but it is summer holiday, so it will get a decent tv audience but not as good as even an hour and a half earlier.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Manuel

Is it worth paying $140 to see the 2007 & 2008 FIFA players of the year? If MLSE waited another week, they could be selling the cheapest tickets for $200. How often will a fan in Toronto get a chance to see these two players in there backyard? Even if they only play one half each, I think it would be worth the cost of a ticket. This is a treat for a soccer fan.

Wait and see if they will actually be making the trip.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Wait and see if they will actually be making the trip.

You wait and see, you have nothing better to do. Troll about Girondins not showing up in Montreal, about Impact throwing next week's game or about Joey never having the wherewithall to get the city into MLS. But don't troll about how a serious major club plans their preseason and announces it accordingly, because you are showing what a dumbsh-t you are. A real dumb wait and see d-s.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

So who has the rights to this game, who controls them? Is it MLS itself? I am asking as I want to know who is selling the tv rights internationally.

The game would be seen at 1.30 AM in Spain on a Friday. It is a bit late, but it is summer holiday, so it will get a decent tv audience but not as good as even an hour and a half earlier.

GOL TV Canada will be broadcasting the game here. I'm not sure if that's any indicator of who holds the rights, just that MLSE was able to obtain the Canadian rights.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

GOL TV Canada will be broadcasting the game here. I'm not sure if that's any indicator of who holds the rights, just that MLSE was able to obtain the Canadian rights.

Since Gol buys Liga rights from the companies selling them from Spain, mostly Mediapro, I suspect there is some deal whereby they sell back to Mediapro and they resell to a Spanish channel. This is a match that I suspect will be bought by a private station here, along with the DC game.

Unless MLSE is dealing directly with Mediapro or Spanish tv, which I doubt.

Any Real or Barça preseason game at a reasonable hour will draw 4-6 million viewers, even vs. unknown opposition. But the time of the game could drop that by half. Eg. Spurs host Barça the previous week at Wembley, you can be sure the game will be worth a lot in TV rights.

You wait and see, you have nothing better to do. Troll about Girondins not showing up in Montreal, about Impact throwing next week's game or about Joey never having the wherewithall to get the city into MLS. But don't troll about how a serious major club plans their preseason and announces it accordingly, because you are showing what a dumbsh-t you are. A real dumb wait and see d-s.

Me thinks Jeffrey is Drunk or on Xanax or both.

A "Barcelona Fan" living in spain, comes on a canadian soccer forum to sing the praises of Real Madrid, and how both Kaka and Ronaldo valued at a combined two hundred million, will be making an appearence and risk getting injured on a make shift pitch.

Keep working on your Dimensia you two faced troll.

Curious about the probabilities of Real Madrid's mega-stars actually hitting the field in Toronto, I did a little search.

Last summer, Real Madrid went all the way to Colombia to play one friendly, against Bogota's Independiente Santa Fe. The date of that game was August 7, the same date as this year's friendly against Toronto FC. I figure that game last year is comparable in situation to the TFC game.

I don't follow RM closely enough to know what their full first-choice squad was last summer, but here's the list of players who saw the field during that game in Colombia:

Starters:

Jerzy Dudek

Michel Salgado

Javi Garcia

Gabriel Heinze

Miguel Torres

Mahamadou Diarra

Guti

Robinho

Julio Baptista

Raul

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Subs who played:

Rafael Van der Vaart

Jordi Codina

Arjen Robben

Pepe

Chema Anton

Juanmi Callejon

Javier Saviola

Not too shabby, if you ask me.

^ too bad those poor RM players have to share the pitch with that semi-pro quality team wearing Red. It might be better for the fans if the event were a Real Madrid open practice rather than an actual match. it would be more entertaining that way.

Maybe TFC wrote into the contract that RM's players have to wear two left boots and blindfolds to make it a more even match.

RM will be a kind guest and keep the game respectable.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

At those prices one is better off saving the money and putting it towards a trip to Spain to see Real or Barca play a real league match.

We have a winner!!!!

The problem isn't that tickets to see Real Madrid start at $140.00

The problem is that Real Madrid is playing TFC, on a temporary grass field to boot. Who wants to pay to see one of the world's best teams essentially play at scrimmage speed against a team that would struggle to avoid relegation in Spain's 3rd division. Furthermore, Does anyone recall how poor the field was last year in Seattle for canada v brazil.

I'm willing to wager that more than a few RM stars will suffer mysterious hamstring tweaks during warmup and will have to be held out of the match.

if I'm coaching Madrid, i'm holding out my best players until 2 days later when the they will play a more respectable team, in front of a much larger audience on American TV.

Guest Jeffery S.

A "Barcelona Fan" living in spain, comes on a canadian soccer forum to sing the praises of Real Madrid, and how both Kaka and Ronaldo valued at a combined two hundred million, will be making an appearence and risk getting injured on a make shift pitch.

It is simply a question of whether you are interested in the game of soccer or not or trying to be the "spiral" of Lachine, which is your case. They are in preseason, they have a new team, they are trying it out. And they want to make it work. Anything can happen, I am not the coach. But if you like the game and you can afford it it is worth seeing Real Madrid, River Plate, and Girondins. By the way, you are the one going wild over Girondins and you have no doubts about who they will play, if they will come, whether it is worth going. You are waving your little Bourdeaux flag like a teenage nymphet dreaming of the Jonas Bros, but you come on to slag other matches that are way more interesting. Gourcuff notwithstanding, a player worth seeing, River or RM are hotter matches and neither will play a B team vs. TFC.

Guest Jeffery S.

It is simply a question of whether you are interested in the game of soccer or not or trying to be the "spiral" of Lachine, which is your case. They are in preseason, they have a new team, they are trying it out. And they want to make it work. Anything can happen, I am not the coach. But if you like the game and you can afford it it is worth seeing Real Madrid, River Plate, and Girondins. By the way, you are the one going wild over Girondins and you have no doubts about who they will play, if they will come, whether it is worth going. You are waving your little Bourdeaux flag like a teenage nymphet dreaming of the Jonas Bros, but you come on to slag other matches that are way more interesting. Gourcuff notwithstanding, a player worth seeing, River or RM are hotter matches and neither will play a B team vs. TFC.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

We have a winner!!!!

The problem isn't that tickets to see Real Madrid start at $140.00

The problem is that Real Madrid is playing TFC, on a temporary grass field to boot. Who wants to pay to see one of the world's best teams essentially play at scrimmage speed against a team that would struggle to avoid relegation in Spain's 3rd division. Furthermore, Does anyone recall how poor the field was last year in Seattle for canada v brazil.

I'm willing to wager that more than a few RM stars will suffer mysterious hamstring tweaks during warmup and will have to be held out of the match.

if I'm coaching Madrid, i'm holding out my best players until 2 days later when the they will play a more respectable team, in front of a much larger audience on American TV.

I paid 30 euros (around 40 bucks) to see Real vs. Valencia at the Bernabeau in..... December I think? Granted, that was with a club member´s discount, although from what I was told that´s really the only way to see a match there.

You want irony? I paid more to see the only two TFC matches at BMO that I´ve been to. I don´t really miss living in Toronto all that much...

Real will likely play their stars in Toronto, I'm sure part of the reason Real even agreed to come to Toronto was cuz of the unprecendented fan interest in a traditionally "non-futebol" market. If they've done their research they'd know that the fans will likely boo them out of the stadium if they played their B team.

In the North American tour in 2004 (I think), FC Porto held a match against Liverpool... I'm sure the fact Toronto sold the most tickets in the entire tournament compared to some of the largest North American cities in that tour is something Real has considered.

Besides, back in the "haydays" when Beckham\zidane was still at Real, they did a number of Asian tours, meaningless games, yet the top players were fielded.

Benfica fielded a decent side in their visit of Toronto, they knew the Portuguese community would go wild if they didn't see their favorites play.

^Reed reported on the Fan590 last night Real Madrid are contractually committed to playing (for 45 minutes at least) their top players, barring of course injury. Now who decides who's on the list of best of players I don't know but there are some odvious names aren't there?

How those players play, and who'll be on the pitch together at any given time will be open to debate until the match is actually played of course, but fans will one way or another get to see RM's best.

Interesting enough, as much as I would expect to see RM largely idle along in 3rd gear it is down to TFC, in front of their fans in their own park, to push RM into maybe committing more effort to this friendly then they'd like. Of course I also feel TFCs energy would be better saved for their desperate campaign to make the playoffs but that's just me.

We will see.We all know that acquiring Kaka and Renaldo is the ultimate in soccer and seing them here in Toronto another dream of mine that the MLSE guys pulled of for us and hey,throw in the real stars,the Dutch connection what more do you want.I hope that grass they are installing stays and le voila the whole world has changed.I just keep dreaming about a Dutch player on our team.Anyway just think three or four years ago and this would have been the impossible.Thanks again to Paul ,Tom and the MLSE management.

But..... I did read that the supporters guys are about to stage a protest rally aganst these guys,which I think is wrong,wrong and yet only soccer.

Can't imagine any other sport doing this ar even can.They don't have these fans,only season ticket holders who as a company give these seats away.We are the only major sport with real fans.So guys take it easy and just reconsider this.

Don't invent things. All I said in the Montreal Impact Forum, is that The Impact are not your run of the mill USL-1 side in that they are able to organize an international freindly. I never mentioned who will and wont be playing for Girondin, as I personally have no interest in the game. It's worth mentioning that Bordeaux will be playing the French Cup championship at the big 0 a few days before, so they will be travelling with their best players.

Real Madrid coming to Toronto is HUGE! Anything to help promote the game is a big deal - and if you can attract even the casual fan, maybe they'll want to attend more Toronto FC games in the future.

I understand the pricing but I'm certainly not a fan of it. I paid between 20-30 Euros in 2004 to watch Real Madrid (with Ronaldo, Zidane, Beckham etc) take on Benfica at the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon. It was a friendly but both sides played their best players for virtually the entire match.

To go and pay $215 to see Real Madrid play on a new field against Toronto FC (nothing against TFC, but let's call a spade a spade here, they're not even close to the same league as RM) isn't worth it. Then again, for those who realistically will never get a chance to travel to Europe to catch a couple of games - then this is their big shot!

Hope it turns out to be a success (which it will).

Guest Jeffery S.

Don't invent things. All I said in the Montreal Impact Forum, is that The Impact are not your run of the mill USL-1 side in that they are able to organize an international freindly. I never mentioned who will and wont be playing for Girondin, as I personally have no interest in the game. It's worth mentioning that Bordeaux will be playing the French Cup championship at the big 0 a few days before, so they will be travelling with their best players.

Wanking off over how great the Impact organization is to get a friendly against a European team--which you now say does not interest you, hypocrite--then coming on a TFC thread to crap on it. And using false arguments that prove you absolutely nothing about what pro soccer is, just spurious speculation and hearsay and extra trans-fat drool.

Why don't you admit you are a troll and leave the thread alone. And go see Girondins, by all means, if you can afford it you are fool not to go see Gourcuff and friends. Assuming you actually like the sport, though you show serious signs of not falling into this category.

Archived