Sam Cronin

bingham

Amongst all the analysis after the KC game, one players name was missing; Sam Cronin, who has quietly been doing a wonderful job in the TFC midfield. Set up Dichio's goal on Sunday and in the previous match on Wednesday did not put a foot wrong. He is even making Robinson look a decent player.

Can't agree with all the Dichio praise, too slow and cumbersome even in the rather low quality football of the MLS.

At least Barratt works hard and I like the idea of a striker playing off to the left side. TFC are along way from being a good side but there are many promising signs: Cronin, Frei, Dero, Serioux etc

The sooner Dichio retires the better though!

i disagree 100%, because dichio brings an entirely different dimension to the game then other TFC players, he's tall, takes up a lot of space and plays with his back to the goal...that goal he scored, he had to find the space for that pass to get slotted to, remember that

quote:Originally posted by bingham

Amongst all the analysis after the KC game, one players name was missing; Sam Cronin, who has quietly been doing a wonderful job in the TFC midfield. Set up Dichio's goal on Sunday and in the previous match on Wednesday did not put a foot wrong. He is even making Robinson look a decent player.

Can't agree with all the Dichio praise, too slow and cumbersome even in the rather low quality football of the MLS.

At least Barratt works hard and I like the idea of a striker playing off to the left side. TFC are along way from being a good side but there are many promising signs: Cronin, Frei, Dero, Serioux etc

The sooner Dichio retires the better though!

Yeah, Dichio has been awful.

Perhaps TFC should hire you for the coaching job... [8)]

bingham, I agree that Cronin is a nice player and he pairs nicely with Robinson (for the record, I'm no fan of Robinson)

I agree that Dichio is slow but I would rather take a smart player with good technique like Dichio rather than the "hard worker who gets no results" like Chad Barrett. Dichio forces the opponent out of its defenisive comfort zone because he can't consistently be marked by 1 man. Dichio creates space for teammates and his ability to make smart passes into space creates scoring opportunities for others.

Danny is not a superstar but, in this league, he can be very effectie, even with his relative lack of athleticism.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Yeah, Dichio has been awful.

Perhaps TFC should hire you for the coaching job... [8)]

He is an enigma to me.

He scores and usually plays well IMO, but he also messed up two great passes by Barrett. If Dichio scores on at least one of those 2 great through ball, Barrett would've received a lot more praises for his performance.

I guess what I'm saying is Dichio first touch can be terrible at time....but he scores goals and can be an effective target man.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

He is an enigma to me.

He scores and usually plays well IMO, but he also messed up two great passes by Barrett. If Dichio scores on at least one of those 2 great through ball, Barrett would've received a lot more praises for his performance.

I guess what I'm saying is Dichio first touch can be terrible at time....but he scores goals and can be an effective target man.

Dichio should have done better on the Barrett passes. I think he is the type of striker who needs a fair number of chances to score but does manage to do so if given the chances. He misses a lot of opportunities but at the end if you look at his goal scoring stats they are pretty decent. If he could finish at a higher rate he would be in a top league but he is good enough to be effective in a 2nd tier league like MLS or the Championship (he reminds me of Russian and Spurs striker Roman Pavlyuchenko not in style but that every game he misses a ton of opportunities yet when you look at his goal scoring stats they are pretty decent). Dichio will score on one of his three setups whereas Barrett or DeRo (and it is starting to look like Vitti) would probably miss all three and that is why he is crucial to TFC at the moment.

And bingham, goal scoring alone is a talent or technique. Some guys just seem to be able to do it even if there game is lacking in other areas. The fancy runs of DeRo and Vitti are nice to watch but if they don't end up in goals then what is the point. I always like to refer to Radz's old strike partner Jan Koller who was a terrible footballer yet if you gave him the three above mentioned opportunities would score on all three. It is nice to see the guy who can make a great run and score off it but there is value to the one who if given a good opportunity can put it in the back of the net.

The interesting thing will be who sits when Dero comes back? For me Dichio, but I suspect I am in the minority on this site. Although the stand-in coach does seem to want the team to play it on the ground (you know like real football) not like Carver's hoof it up and under style, so before long Danny may not even fit into their plans.

The interesting thing will be who sits when Dero comes back? For me Dichio, but I suspect I am in the minority on this site. Although the stand-in coach does seem to want the team to play it on the ground (you know like real football) not like Carver's hoof it up and under style, so before long Danny may not even fit into their plans.

If you play it on the ground at some point someone needs to be able to take the final pass and put it in the net. So far only Dichio has appeared capable of this on a consistent basis.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Dichio should have done better on the Barrett passes. I think he is the type of striker who needs a fair number of chances to score but does manage to do so if given the chances. He misses a lot of opportunities but at the end if you look at his goal scoring stats they are pretty decent. If he could finish at a higher rate he would be in a top league but he is good enough to be effective in a 2nd tier league like MLS or the Championship (he reminds me of Russian and Spurs striker Roman Pavlyuchenko not in style but that every game he misses a ton of opportunities yet when you look at his goal scoring stats they are pretty decent). Dichio will score on one of his three setups whereas Barrett or DeRo (and it is starting to look like Vitti) would probably miss all three and that is why he is crucial to TFC at the moment.

And bingham, goal scoring alone is a talent or technique. Some guys just seem to be able to do it even if there game is lacking in other areas. The fancy runs of DeRo and Vitti are nice to watch but if they don't end up in goals then what is the point. I always like to refer to Radz's old strike partner Jan Koller who was a terrible footballer yet if you gave him the three above mentioned opportunities would score on all three. It is nice to see the guy who can make a great run and score off it but there is value to the one who if given a good opportunity can put it in the back of the net.

I realise goal scoring is a technique (Jimmy Greaves would be the ultimate example, he could do little else but score) but to claim that Dichio possesses this technique is laughable. I think Danny is a nice guy and has that cult status going with the Red Patch boys etc.but the bottom line is once TFC are at full strength upon Dero's return, and play the game the way they will have to play to be successful, Dichio's limited abilities will put him where he belongs, back to the sidelines or more appropriately in the Vauxhall Premier League.

Dichio will fit in to their plans. Anyone who says he won't just isn't seeing the bigger picture of what's happening on the pitch lately. Dichio has become an anchor for the attack. He is the stabilizer out there who is forcing extra space for Barrett and Vitti to make use of due just to his size and professional play alone.

Dichio is a well-trained player, and it shows by how he conducts himself on the pitch. While he might not be the most athletic, his positioning and size compensate for his lack of athleticism. While he may miss chances like Barrett's through ball, he has the ability to finish others, which is something Barrett certainly struggles with.

Vitti is slowly but surely coming out of his shell. I can't wait for his breakout match. When it happens, it's going to be beautiful.

Barrett is the weakest link to me. I hope DeRo, once fit, takes his place, as I think a front line comprised of Vitti - Dichio - DeRo will be a formidable attack that will keep TFC in the top three of the eastern table. Barrett's work-rate on the pitch is not something only he can do. DeRo can be equally active, and can cause better chances as was seen in first game of the season in Kansas City. The only downside to DeRo is that he does have the tendency to play too much as a single rather than team player, losing the ball in a one vs. one when he should have made the pass.

TFC will make the playoffs if they keep playing as they have these past two games.

Oh and as for Cronin, he is the better option over Ricketts and I hope they continue to start him.

You don't see three-quarters of the stuff Dichio does on TV. The man has amazing touch on the ball -- likely the best first touch on the team. If he were a younger man he'd be in a bigger league (of course he was when he was a younger man, wasn't he?)

He has no speed left at all. He will score all of his remaining goals with his head (if not literally, then figuratively). But, once Vitti finds his touch, I'd be willing to bet that Dichio ends up with 7-8 assists. That's his game now (although he also defends on the corner far better than he gets credit for).

He and Robinson make a very effective pairing in front of the back four. I didn't think Cronin had a very good match vs Columbus but that coincided game with Robbo's absence, so I think the rookie also benefits quite a bit from the Welshman's leadership on the field. His emergence in the last couple of matches has been refreshing.

Dichio is one of the better passers of the ball as well. He also has a much better vision than 95% of MLS players. He knows where to be, and where the ball should go. He also has incredible ability with his head.. he can pass with his head better than some guys can pass with their feet. Generally he does the right thing with the ball at the right time. He's also so physically tough that opposition players end up bruised and battered after 90 minutes. we even get foul calls for us because opposition players try to manhandle him and fail.

He's very slow and has no dexterity to take a ball in traffic and work around defenders. But when he gets in a position of promise, he generally puts the ball in the net. For all the chances that Barrett and Vitti missed last game, Dichio had only a couple chances and potted a goal. Last season was the same -- he doesn't get a lot of chances, but he makes the ones he gets.

Most importantly, when Dichio is in the lineup, the whole team seems more assured, more confident. He changes games.

Archived