Voyageurs Cup 2009-10 the CCL Run

2009 Match Schedule / Programme des Matchs

06.5.2009 - BMO Field - Toronto FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC

13.5.2009 - BMO Field - Toronto FC - Impact de Montréal

20.5.2009 - Stade Saputo - Impact de Montréal - Vancouver Whitecaps FC

27.5.2009 - Swangard Stadium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Impact de Montréal

02.6.2009 - Swangard Stadium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Toronto FC

17.6.2009 - Stade Saputo - Impact de Montréal - Toronto FC

Now that the 2008 Edition is officially over. Let's debate in regards to this year's Edition. Vancouver,Toronto & Montreal are once again going at eachother for the Voyageurs Cup title & the only Canadian spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Do you think the teams will put the Voyageurs Cup as more important than the league?

- I remember TFC coach slamming his players for not being motivated enough after the Mtl game. He threatened them with breaking the contract.

Which team do you think has made the right trades and signed the right players to win this year?

Do you think the fact that Montreal attracted 55,000 soccer fans for 1 single game has shown everyone that the CCL is serious business? Or will the teams cherish the leagues title more than a coveted spot in the CCL?

I think the Impact's run has to have TFC and the Caps salivating at the possibility of doing that. And needless to say the Impact will want back in. Should be a hard fought 3 way tournament with no team having a clear advantage over the others at the outset.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

I don;t think Vancouver has a chance this year. And the winner may come down to who does better against Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto.

Do you think that losing Sebrango and a few other roster changes makes them #3? What about scheduling does anyone have an advantage?

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

Do you think that losing Sebrango and a few other roster changes makes them #3? What about scheduling does anyone have an advantage?

When you look at transfers for Vancouver this year they seem to be going down in skill as a team.

Out:

Sebrango, Cann, Addlery, Kindel, Jarun, Jordon, Kambere, Djekanovic

In:

Gbeke, 2 guys from ST VAG, Justin Thompson, Marco Reda, Haber... and a bunch of prospects from the academy.

They just arent good enough.

True but somehow I think that it will be a battle between Vancouver and Montreal. With TFC fighting hard and creating a couple of ties. My issue with Toronto is the fact that the MLS marketing scheme is working like a charm, that MLS is higher in Quality(and marketing). I agree MLS teams have good players, etc. But I think that might make them overconfident thus sink the ship. Vancouver even with the prospects will do OK. I am curious how TFC Emmanuel Gomez and Amadou Sanyan will they shine as brightly as they make us believe? The good thing about them is that since they have the same style of play, now we won't see them togheter on the field until August so hard to say. I like their height but they should be an extra 10pounds each in order not to get knocked out.

My issue with Vancouver is Thordarson. Too...passive he needs to be more upbeat(not agressive) with the players on the pitch. Yell, scream, gesticulate, whatever. Change your tactics because there were a few occasions I thought I was watching Serie A( Catenaccio anyone). At the end I don't care if he is mute, as long as all 3 teams create an unforgetable spectacle, while us the fans create our ambiance.

I don't think it's too early for any predictions. I think it will be Montreal and Toronto battling it out for the top spot. Vancouver is really in a re-build year, getting the young guys ready for the MLS, the 'Caps lost their 2 top scorers (sebrango and Addlery), a rebuild in the centre of defense, the main midfield parts are pretty much the same and Gbeke and unproven talent up front. Lenarduzzi would really like to win this, but it won't happen, at best, Vancouver can play spoiler. It's going to be key for TFC and Montreal to win both games against Vancouver. Montreal will be in fine form once it rolls around to playing for the games, as they had to get a head start in training, plus the edition of Sebrango will help out big time. I think TFC will take this tournament more seriously this season... and want to play for the victory as it will give them a higher profile not only in Canada, but in the MLS and North America. Can't complain against those added sponsor benefits. so my prediction is TFC winning it this season.

Last year I predicted the ending standings perfectly :D so I will give it a shot again this year.

TFC got better and I have to believe that the new home town guys will perform better for the club than some other players before.

Montreal has Sebrango up front not but is he enough of an addition?

Vancouver is in full rebuild mode after the USL title so I don't expect much. (damn)

Anyway the end results will be

Toronto 3-1-0

Montréal 2-1-1

Vancouver 0-1-3

That’s my prediction for this years Voyageurs Cup

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

True but somehow I think that it will be a battle between Vancouver and Montreal. With TFC fighting hard and creating a couple of ties. My issue with Toronto is the fact that the MLS marketing scheme is working like a charm, that MLS is higher in Quality(and marketing). I agree MLS teams have good players, etc. But I think that might make them overconfident thus sink the ship. Vancouver even with the prospects will do OK. I am curious how TFC Emmanuel Gomez and Amadou Sanyan will they shine as brightly as they make us believe? The good thing about them is that since they have the same style of play, now we won't see them togheter on the field until August so hard to say. I like their height but they should be an extra 10pounds each in order not to get knocked out.

Did you even pay attention last year?

What does the "MLS marketing scheme" have to do with the Voyageurs Cup? TFC - with a crap team - was still in contention until the very last game, unlike Vancouver.

The games will be tight this year, like they were last year. I said I wasn't making predictions, but I guess I just did.

I'm curious why you would focus so much on the two Gambians (one who is too young to even play for TFC until August), but completely ignore the other signings they've brought in.

In:

Gbeke, 2 guys from ST VAG, Justin Thompson, Marco Reda, Haber... and a bunch of prospects from the academy.

They just arent good enough.

Don't be so quick to discount the player from the Vincy Heat. One of them is that forward that was giving Canada trouble for the entire tie and who was also the highest-scoring player in Asian Club football last year when he scored something like 46 goals for the Malaysian Champions.

--edit--

I want to say his name is Marlon James, but I'm not 100% sure.

Guest Jeffery S.

I hope I am wrong but I also feel Vancouver might not be strong enough, and having the first two matches away will make it tougher. They are going to have to get amazing performances to still be in contention when the last game comes around.

Nothing against Montreal but since they have won the Voyageurs Cup forever, it would be good to see another team take it this year.

I will give the edge to TFC because there is no way they can take the competition lightly this year, and they should have the talent to win it.

I don;t think Vancouver has a chance this year. And the winner may come down to who does better against Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto.

That is what happened last year. We'll see. As a Caps fan I am hoping for the boys to win it all but like last year TFC is the team to beat and like last year they can be beat! ;)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

That is what happened last year. We'll see. As a Caps fan I am hoping for the boys to win it all but like last year TFC is the team to beat and like last year they can be beat! ;)

Since I am not back until July and August I can say I'd be enthused by a Concachampions match at Swangard, of any sort. We'll see how Vancouver does this season in the league before ruling them out, but I think TFC is the favourite.

quote:Originally posted by finchster

Last year I predicted the ending standings perfectly :D so I will give it a shot again this year.

TFC got better and I have to believe that the new home town guys will perform better for the club than some other players before.

Montreal has Sebrango up front not but is he enough of an addition?

Vancouver is in full rebuild mode after the USL title so I don't expect much. (damn)

Anyway the end results will be

Toronto 3-1-0

Montréal 2-1-1

Vancouver 0-1-3

That’s my prediction for this years Voyageurs Cup

TFC 2-0-2

Montreal 2-1-1

Vancouver 0-3-1

Vancouver really did a number on TFC last year. (I predict a tie and a loss to TFC. Vancouver is in a re-building year.)

TFC can't find the net with the Impact. (I give them only one win. a draw/win versus the Impact. TFC had a lot of trouble with the Caps. I give them a W and a draw against Vancouver)

Impact took care of Vancouver quite easily. 2 W versus vancouver. 1 loss, 1 draw with TFC.

Hopefully Hamilton will be in the mix next year. 4 teams.

Archived