TFC buy GolTV

tmcmurph

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE) announced Friday that it has entered an agreement to purchase Insight Sports Ltd's ownership in GolTV Canada. The purchase, made by one of MLSE's affiliate companies, will see Canada's premier sports and entertainment organization acquire an 80.1 per cent stake in the 24-hour soccer network.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090123&content_id=213548&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

If this means I'm going to have to get digital cable to see all of TFC's games, then I am totally against this.

I doubt that will be the case - MLSE will want many games on CBC for club exposure purposes. I suspect what this might mean is that there are less games on CBC Bold & more on Gol TV. Or perhaps less games on the Score.

It might be helpful though as a "revenue stream" for future Canadian MLS clubs to have Gol TV as part of a broadcasting deal nationwide for select games.

Bold exists to replay old CBC I find it offensive that I have to pay a third time to receive it... first through my CBC taxes, then through my basic digital cable subscription and then again for the right to watch CBC repeats and the occasional soccer game.

But I will be equally ticked if the only way I can get to watch my Canadian clubs play is by subscribing to GolTV.

quote:Originally posted by Grandstander

This is a good move for Canadian soccer fans, provided MLSE does really want serve their interests. I can see them getting Caps and Impact games to help fill the schedule. Better then the lame programming they have now.

I'm pretty sure Fox Sports World are the ones who hold the rights to USL games, so don't expect to see the Caps and Impact regular season games on the schedule.

quote:Originally posted by ottawasoccerfan

rdzone

It would not make much sense to have all games on other channels.This is a buisness and with there own channel it does make the most sense to have most or almost all games on goltv.

Not really. They also want to be able to sell the games to other broadcasters, as well as to ensure as wide a distribution as possible.

It seems that MLSE is still having real trouble getting Leafs fans to pick up Leafs TV, despite the fact that many games are only available there. If the Toronto fricking Maple Leafs can't draw the fans to a specialty digital channel, what hope does TFC have?

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

Not really. They also want to be able to sell the games to other broadcasters, as well as to ensure as wide a distribution as possible.

It seems that MLSE is still having real trouble getting Leafs fans to pick up Leafs TV, despite the fact that many games are only available there. If the Toronto fricking Maple Leafs can't draw the fans to a specialty digital channel, what hope does TFC have?

Toronto FC fans aren't same as Toronto Maple Leaf fans. Please don't compare us to Leaf fans. I take that as an insult. BTW, a lot of Raptor fans have Raptors TV. So it can be done!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to think they will avoid the problems with CBC and Bold from last season and more than likely The Score could loose their matches....MLSE will want CBC and Sportsnet to continue holding rights to build their brand, but instead of games live on Bold during hockey play-offs and on CBC late at night you could see live on GOLTV and delayed on CBC and the odd away game the Score had going to GOLTV. Live pre-game and post game of TFC matches regardless of who shows the games will probably happen too.

quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

I'm pretty sure Fox Sports World are the ones who hold the rights to USL games, so don't expect to see the Caps and Impact regular season games on the schedule.

I'm not sure but I think this deal is year to year. The 2009 season is set, but who knows for 2010. Either way I have to pay to access both.

• 1 month later...

Word is Paul James was fired from GolTV because Carver and some of the MLSE upper brass didn't like him. Paul James was the only credible commentator who actually said it like it was. He was critical of TFC when it was appropriate and complimentary when appropriate. I guess good analysis has no room in the MLSE world. I thought we lived in a democracy, it's hard to believe, but MLSE has its own means of censorship! Maybe they'll hire Gerry Dobson to continuously blow smoke up TFC's butt so he can keep his job. Iarusci and Dunleavy better be careful in what they say. For what it's worth I thought Paul was very prepared and accurate, I didn't always agree, but I thoughht he had a good grasp of the totality of TFC on and off the field. Hopefully Jason Devos isn't owned by Gol.

quote:Originally posted by Angelo

Word is Paul James was fired from GolTV because Carver and some of the MLSE upper brass didn't like him.

If that's true, that was a totally ridiculous thing to do. What are they trying to do, uphold the legacy of Harold Ballard? Its not like he was known for being overly critical & even if one disagreed with what he said its not like he ever said anything in an un-professional manner.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^^PJ was also pretty quick to drop his tell it like it is objectivity in favour of supporting his buddy Dale Mitchell. I never cared for this take myself. He also threw some shots at the Voyageurs.

My recollection is that most of the shots that he threw at the Voyageurs were fair comments. He's also complimented us on occasion when it was warranted. And he also acknowledged that if Mitchell failed to get the results then he should be replaced - not exactly the most biased comment I've ever heard.

Most of all, any comments he made about the V's or Dale Mitchell have sweet F.A. to do with with Paul James commenting on TFC, or the contention that MLSE dumped him once they bought Gol TV because they didn't like him. What that suggests is that they thought his questions for MoJo on Extra Time were to tough for Mo to handle.

I too liked Paul James's commentary on TFC. I cant think of any instance whereby any of his views stemmed from being misinformed. Poor research and misinformation is what gets most of us riled up about people in the media.

I wish I could recall what it was that he said about the Voyageurs but I honestly forgot. What I do recall (more or less) is the time that it happened and that in the context of the main subject and topic at that time; I didn't think that he was off base.

Looks like (if this story is true) that MLSEL plans to operate GOL TV as if it were Leafs TV. Or, like any other media outlet that is controlled by a sports club.

The views expressed or the themes will never be truly objective and any kind of criticism will be sanitized and/or limited to players and performances but never to management.

Archived