Montreal Impact Starting 11

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know Gatti is suspended.

I’m glad this discussion is going on because I’ve been trying to figure out when the Impact should do and it’s hard. There’s just so many possibilities.

Is Pesoli definitely out? If he can go, he’d be a natural to pair with Pizolitto. With Gatti out and Leduc questionable, maybe Jocquivel is the only other real option? Is Gervais an option? Maybe Braz there, though he scares me.

Santos’ biggest threats IMO are Ludena on the left and Arce on the right. On the bright side Ludena isn’t as fast he used to be, so maybe Braz won’t be troubled for pace, but I’d start DeRoux at RB anyway.

I like DiLorenzo farther forward, but given Arce’s danger and the lack of available LBs I’d play DiLorenzo at LB.

So it’s maybe a little more conservative than I’d like (and I assume if Limniatis is telling the truth he’ll be more aggressive), but I’d start:

----------------------------Jordan

DeRoux----------Pizolitto---Pesoli?----------DiLorenzo

-----------------------Testo----Grande

-----Donatelli-----------------------------Placcentino

-------------------------------Gjertsen

----------------------Sebrango

It’d be easy enough to push Gjertsen outside and bring another forward on to get more of an attack going, but I think DiLorenzo and DeRoux can both get forward enough to add to the attack.

I would really like Pesoli there to help account for Carlos Darwin Quintero. If Darwin plays off of Vuoso and drops deeper, maybe Grande can help deal with him.

And who knows, maybe Santos tries a different lineup and plays some reserves.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Good to know Gatti is suspended.

I’m glad this discussion is going on because I’ve been trying to figure out when the Impact should do and it’s hard. There’s just so many possibilities.

Is Pesoli definitely out? If he can go, he’d be a natural to pair with Pizolitto. With Gatti out and Leduc questionable, maybe Jocquivel is the only other real option? Is Gervais an option? Maybe Braz there, though he scares me.

Santos’ biggest threats IMO are Ludena on the left and Arce on the right. On the bright side Ludena isn’t as fast he used to be, so maybe Braz won’t be troubled for pace, but I’d start DeRoux at RB anyway.

I like DiLorenzo farther forward, but given Arce’s danger and the lack of available LBs I’d play DiLorenzo at LB.

So it’s maybe a little more conservative than I’d like (and I assume if Limniatis is telling the truth he’ll be more aggressive), but I’d start:

----------------------------Jordan

DeRoux----------Pizolitto---Pesoli?----------DiLorenzo

-----------------------Testo----Grande

-----Donatelli-----------------------------Placcentino

-------------------------------Gjertsen

----------------------Sebrango

It’d be easy enough to push Gjertsen outside and bring another forward on to get more of an attack going, but I think DiLorenzo and DeRoux can both get forward enough to add to the attack.

I would really like Pesoli there to help account for Carlos Darwin Quintero. If Darwin plays off of Vuoso and drops deeper, maybe Grande can help deal with him.

And who knows, maybe Santos tries a different lineup and plays some reserves.

cheers,

matthew

Gervais wont be an option he recently retired.

Guest Jeffery S.

Why are they talking about being aggressive when the probably can't carry the play technically, won't have the ball most of the time, and need to keep their goal at 0 to have a decent chance to go through? On the other hand, the big crowd should inspire them, so that could be good for a decent start, aggressive play at the beginning at least. But it could also mean they need to ignore the crowd to get a result that will help them for the 2nd leg.

First leg the home side needs to be calm, build as they can, try to get a goal, and be clear that it does not end at 90 minutes.

I thought Gervais had retired. I should have looked more closely and realized Daniel's post was from two months ago.

Five months?! Wow. Okay . . . who do you guys like in that spot? I'm tempted to say Joncquivel. I've only seen him a couple of times, but he looked steady.

Thanks for the clarifications Mr.Impact and Mpenza.

Since Montreal was able to carry the majority of the play against Atlante, I don't see why they can't do the same against an out of form Santos.

I think a win or a 0-0 are the only results that will give Montreal a shot in the second leg. I think it will be very hard to go into Torreon and get a win. But I think a draw is attainable.

Very curious about how this plays out. Hopefully Montreal is somewhere close to their top form.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Why are they talking about being aggressive when the probably can't carry the play technically, won't have the ball most of the time, and need to keep their goal at 0 to have a decent chance to go through? On the other hand, the big crowd should inspire them, so that could be good for a decent start, aggressive play at the beginning at least. But it could also mean they need to ignore the crowd to get a result that will help them for the 2nd leg.

First leg the home side needs to be calm, build as they can, try to get a goal, and be clear that it does not end at 90 minutes.

In all fairness, The Impact carried the play, and was the more agressive team in almost all the games that they played in the qualifying and group stage matches. Results aside, they argueably played the most attractive, and entertaining Football of any team representing Canadian Football. Santos will represent a tougher challange then any team they've faced so far, but I still believe that the Impact will fare well.

This is a club that has improved its talent at every position, and has gained in experience in the first round. They are also a team that has benefited from excellent preperation from their Training camp in Italy. No other Canadian club could claim to have the ambition and the resources that Impact have, TFC included.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I thought Gervais had retired. I should have looked more closely and realized Daniel's post was from two months ago.

Five months?! Wow. Okay . . . who do you guys like in that spot? I'm tempted to say Joncquivel. I've only seen him a couple of times, but he looked steady.

Thanks for the clarifications Mr.Impact and Mpenza.

Since Montreal was able to carry the majority of the play against Atlante, I don't see why they can't do the same against an out of form Santos.

I think a win or a 0-0 are the only results that will give Montreal a shot in the second leg. I think it will be very hard to go into Torreon and get a win. But I think a draw is attainable.

Very curious about how this plays out. Hopefully Montreal is somewhere close to their top form.

cheers,

matthew

Joncquivel seems to be the logical choice to step in. I wouldn't be surprised if Braz moves into the middle, leaving a spot open for a right fullback with some speed. As some people mentioned before, I would love to see Uwinama step in. He always looked solid in the matches Ive seen him play in. He also isn't afraid to venture down the line, and get involved offensively. Unfortuneately, he's gone MIA, and did not participate in the squad's recent Italian training camp. Anyone know of his where abouts?

quote:Originally posted by MastaK

Honestly I don't think we have THAT great of a team (we have a good little team with alot of character) and I don't know if anyone thinks that. We're just saying we have quite alot of depth. 18-20 of our players would probably be starters on most ULS teams. Doesn't mean they are all stars, only a few are, but they're good players.

By the way, I don't think the Impact signed Fabrice Noël because he still had a contract with the Puerto Rico Islanders but maybe I missed it?

As much as I like MTL I must agree. We have a very good team, to USL1 standards. Let us not forget that they play a Mexican team.

DON'T JINX IT GUYS!!! :D

quote:Originally posted by Philippe

As much as I like MTL I must agree. We have a very good team, to USL1 standards. Let us not forget that they play a Mexican team.

DON'T JINX IT GUYS!!! :D

What country was Atlante FC from? Mexico I think. And Im not sure but Montreal was not out classed....I think..no wait a second I KNOW !!!...Come on Philippe have a little confidence in your team:D

Guest Jeffery S.

Regardless of how much you think Impact dominated or was aggressive in the previous rounds, first leg at home usually means keeping your goal at zero and trying to score if possible. So it is conducive to conservative, controlled play.

0-0 is a decent result even, any draw with goals away puts you through. Meaning I think talking about being aggressive for this match is an error, unless they are talking about defensive marks.

Regardless of how much you think Impact dominated or was aggressive in the previous rounds, first leg at home usually means keeping your goal at zero and trying to score if possible. So it is conducive to conservative, controlled play.

0-0 is a decent result even, any draw with goals away puts you through. Meaning I think talking about being aggressive for this match is an error, unless they are talking about defensive marks.

I agree 0-0 at home is a win, 1-0 huge, 2-0 your sailing cause they need three to win at home and given MOntreals past defencive shows in Comayagua I think they can hold an attacking side with Grande on field and good defensive compsure, give them the 30 yard shot.. but snap the bolt shut at the 29th yard.

The two game series should be exciting even if Montreal is pressured at home for result, I think the 12th man may appear at the stade Olympique and if it does look for a solid home performance.

"Regardless of how much you think Impact dominated or was aggressive in the previous rounds, first leg at home usually means keeping your goal at zero and trying to score if possible. So it is conducive to conservative, controlled play.

0-0 is a decent result even, any draw with goals away puts you through. Meaning I think talking about being aggressive for this match is an error, unless they are talking about defensive marks."

Wow, I totally disagree. 0-0 would be bad for Montreal. The fans didnt come to watch a snoozefest. In a home and away contest you always play agressive at home to win and to entertain the fans...you feed off of the home crowd to take an advantage in the series. Montreal needs a win. Sure, they dont want to concede goals, but you have to score. Agressive means that Montreal defends in the midfield and denies Santos the opportunity to set up dangerous passes into the 18 yard box. Agressive means that whenever Montreal wins a turnover they have attacking options with the wide midfielders exploding forward.

According to Nick dos Santis on Its Called Football Show (Feb. 22) Pesoli is out for 4-5 months. Gatti and Biello are also out with injuries. Brown and Sebrango are expected to start up front.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Lorne

"Regardless of how much you think Impact dominated or was aggressive in the previous rounds, first leg at home usually means keeping your goal at zero and trying to score if possible. So it is conducive to conservative, controlled play.

0-0 is a decent result even, any draw with goals away puts you through. Meaning I think talking about being aggressive for this match is an error, unless they are talking about defensive marks."

Wow, I totally disagree. 0-0 would be bad for Montreal. The fans didnt come to watch a snoozefest. In a home and away contest you always play agressive at home to win and to entertain the fans...you feed off of the home crowd to take an advantage in the series. Montreal needs a win. Sure, they dont want to concede goals, but you have to score. Agressive means that Montreal defends in the midfield and denies Santos the opportunity to set up dangerous passes into the 18 yard box. Agressive means that whenever Montreal wins a turnover they have attacking options with the wide midfielders exploding forward.

According to Nick dos Santis on Its Called Football Show (Feb. 22) Pesoli is out for 4-5 months. Gatti and Biello are also out with injuries. Brown and Sebrango are expected to start up front.

It is more important to go through than to play good football for Montreal, sorry for the fans. The inferior team on paper has to play intelligently, otherwise it will get slapped. Meaning a bit conservative, controlled, and sure, get that goal. Ideal scenario is a snooze-fest until m. 87 and then an Impact counter and 1-0 to take back to Mexico.

Or don't you want to win the competition, the thing ends here, with a big crowd? That is all you want then?

It is more important to go through than to play good football for Montreal, sorry for the fans. The inferior team on paper has to play intelligently, otherwise it will get slapped. Meaning a bit conservative, controlled, and sure, get that goal. Ideal scenario is a snooze-fest until m. 87 and then an Impact counter and 1-0 to take back to Mexico.

Or don't you want to win the competition, the thing ends here, with a big crowd? That is all you want then?

I totally agree...

Here's what I'd like to see with possible last 3rd subs in parantheses:

---------------------Jordan--------------------

-Braz(DeRoux)--Joqueviel--Pizzolitto--DiLorenzo

----------------Grande(Leduc)------------------

Donatelli(Placentino)----Testo---------Brillant

-----------Gjertsen(Byers)---------------------

------------------------Sebrango(Brown)--------

Guest Jeffery S.

Let me just clarify that I would love to see Montreal roll over Santos, with the crowd pushing and Santos intimidated, falling apart, keeper red-carded, 3-0 final result. But I doubt that will happen, they are into their league, have probably played in a few tough stadiums in Mexico (understatement), and they will be playing with the 2nd leg in mind, which means damage control if any damage is done to them.

That in mind, which I think is realistic, better for Impact to watch their rears, play aggressively but not burn out too early (typical for the inferior team to hold for 20 minutes, then wear out and watch how the more technical side gains control of possession and starts to dominate, which would be the on paper most likely scenario), and keep it tight.

Good positional play and the 180 minute match in mind is more important than aggression or letting the crowd push you into rash errors.

Let me just clarify that I would love to see Montreal roll over Santos, with the crowd pushing and Santos intimidated, falling apart, keeper red-carded, 3-0 final result. But I doubt that will happen, they are into their league, have probably played in a few tough stadiums in Mexico (understatement), and they will be playing with the 2nd leg in mind, which means damage control if any damage is done to them.

That in mind, which I think is realistic, better for Impact to watch their rears, play aggressively but not burn out too early (typical for the inferior team to hold for 20 minutes, then wear out and watch how the more technical side gains control of possession and starts to dominate, which would be the on paper most likely scenario), and keep it tight.

Good positional play and the 180 minute match in mind is more important than aggression or letting the crowd push you into rash errors.

I think our man based in Catalonia speaks wisely, on all points. Lots of potential pitfalls if they get carried away in the moment.

I hope the Impact are able to take advantage of the set piece delivery from Grande. I was impressed during the previous round with his service, especially on inswinging free kicks drawing the keeper into no man's land.

Make it happen, boys!

Well, now with the 2-0 win, I expect a more cautious and defensive game in Torreon, Mexico. Santo Lagunas played to a 2-2 tie on the weekend, so they keep playing 2 games a week and will be nursing some bumps and bruises.

Jordan

Braz - Pizzolito - Jocqueviel - Suprenant

Donatelli - Grande - Testo - diLorenzo

Gjerstsen - Sebrango

I would expect that Brown, deRoux and Brillant will all get into the game at some point; perhaps only late in the game as a time wasting tactic. Left back is a tough position to fill. DiLorenzo plays well there, but his strength is in possession and he is very valuable in midfield as well. Jocqueviel, I think, has solidified his credentials as CB with the last game in Montreal. Suprenant didnt play against the USA in the Canada-USA u-20 friendly game on Saturday; hopefully this was to save him for this big game. This game will be a big test of the Impacts defence.

Archived