Montreal Impact Starting 11

With the recent signings, the Impact could fiels 2 competitive rosters. Here is my starting 11

<center>-----------------------Matt Jordan-----------------------------------

Adam Braz----Nevio Pizzolitto----Stefano Pisoli----Simon Gatti

Joe Gjertsen----David Testo----Sandro Grande----Leo Di Lorenzo-------

--------------Roberto Brown----Edouardo Sebrango-----------------</center>

Im assuming Roberto will be signed if not, Id move Gjertsen to striker, and bring in Tony Donatelli in his place.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, you are right there is a lot of nice players to choose from and it all depends on their form and fitness on the day. But, here is my thoughts. I like Braz, but I would train and play a 5-4-1 this season with 3 centre backs, 2 attacking wingbacks, 4 workhorse midfielders and 1 forward who can hold up the ball well....

------------------------Matt Jordan----------------------------------

De Roux-Nevio Pizzolitto-Patrick Leduc-Stefano Pisoli-Leo Di Lorenzo

--------Donatelli----Testo----Sandro Grande-----Rocco Placentino-----

-----------------------------------Edouardo Sebrango-----------------

...on the bench I would have Weber, Gatti, Uwimana, Brillant, Gjerstsen, Byers, Brown (can I have that big a bench?)

That's what was said in 2008. Some players didn't figure in the plans (Gbeke, Aguilera, Jefferson, to name a few), and there was a significant rotation with the fixture congestion, where only a few players who were with the club all year didn't have decent playing time.

Mr. Impact's lineup makes sense, but I'd slot Deroux in for Gatti (because that's why we picked him up), and mix it up between Testo/Leduc, Pesoli/Jocqueviel, Gjertsen/Brillant, Brown/Byers and Leo/Rocco.

Damn, that IS a lot of depth...

I just checked the CONCACAF site and you are allowed 23 players for any game and 30 roster players for this third phase of the Champions League tournament. There is no limit to the number of foreign nationals. The only limit is that players were not previously registered on other team's CONCACAF Champions League rosters.

My roster above has only 19 players so I can add...Suprenant, Jefferson, Braz, and Jocqueviel

For USL games there is a limit of players on the game day roster who are not American or Canadian.

I believe that Byers can learn a lot of Sebrango if he plays with him. With a bit more of a scoring touch, Byers can be a very effective striker. As for Brown at 31 years old, he's more a supersub than a starter. Also, I would like to see Gervais as a RB.

Jordan

Gervais----Pizzolitto---Pesoli----DeRoux

Gjersten----Testo---Grande---Di Lorenzo

Byers--Sebrango

Bench: Donatelli, Brillant, Rocco, Braz, Brown, Leduc, (rotate with Jocqueviel and Gatti)

Wow we have alot of good players if we have Donatelli, Brillant, Placentino, Braz, Brown, Leduc, Joqueviel & Gatti on the bench!

I really like Brillant's energy, Brown's finishing touch even if he looks lazy at times, Donatelli did pretty good last season also, big guy...Leduc distributes the ball pretty well also and is reliable defensively. These 4 would be really good subs.

I guess the starting 11, especially at midfield and up front, will be determined by the chemistry the guys have with each other so it's hard to tell what it will look like.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

<center>-----------------------Matt Jordan-----------------------------------

Adam Braz----Nevio Pizzolitto----Stefano Pisoli----Simon Gatti

--------------Roberto Brown----Edouardo Sebrango-----------------</center>

For fun, let's look at a 2nd XI:

G: Weber

RB: DeRoux

CB: Jocqueviel

CB: Gervais

LB: Surprenant

RM: Brillant

CM: Leduc

CM: Donatelli

LM: Rocco

AM: Ribeiro

ST: Byers

Nothing to sneeze at either!

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

For fun, let's look at a 2nd XI:

G: Weber

RB: DeRoux

CB: Jocqueviel

CB: Gervais

LB: Surprenant

RM: Brillant

CM: Leduc

CM: Donatelli

LM: Rocco

AM: Ribeiro

ST: Byers

Nothing to sneeze at either!

This team is 2 deep at every position. John Limniaitis is going to have the luxury of evaluating every player during the upcoming European training camp. Im sure that there will be players that will use this oportunity to earn a starting spot. Veterans such as Pat Leduc and Gabriel Gervais should be back, having recovered from injuries. If Biello comes back for another season, he should be considered a reserve. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes on the role of assistant coach/player.

Finally Nick Desantis might take the opportunity to scout some Euro Talent, and possibly add more depth to the roster.

I would really like to see the Impact continue to do well, in all areas of play but especially the CONCACAF Cup for 2009, but the way some of you are talking ... man, I feel like you're giving this team the kiss of death. And I don't have any vested interest here (i.e. I'm not some diehard fan of either TFC or the Caps) that makes me want to be antagonistic. I'm just looking forward to watching some passionate rivalry and quality soccer during the next V-Cup, regardless of the winner.

Honestly I don't think we have THAT great of a team (we have a good little team with alot of character) and I don't know if anyone thinks that. We're just saying we have quite alot of depth. 18-20 of our players would probably be starters on most ULS teams. Doesn't mean they are all stars, only a few are, but they're good players.

By the way, I don't think the Impact signed Fabrice Noël because he still had a contract with the Puerto Rico Islanders but maybe I missed it?

I wouldn't start Braz, except against physically intimidating teams. I loved DiLorenzo at wing back last season.

DiLorenzo Pizzolito Pesoli Gatti

Brillant Grande Testo Donatelli

Gjertsen

Sebrango

subs (any of which could start without bringing down the quality):

DeRoux Joqueviel Braz

Placentino Leduc

Brown

I'm not sure Byers or Gervais will sign, there are negative rumors about each.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I would really like to see the Impact continue to do well, in all areas of play but especially the CONCACAF Cup for 2009, but the way some of you are talking ... man, I feel like you're giving this team the kiss of death. And I don't have any vested interest here (i.e. I'm not some diehard fan of either TFC or the Caps) that makes me want to be antagonistic. I'm just looking forward to watching some passionate rivalry and quality soccer during the next V-Cup, regardless of the winner.

I'm not comparing the Impact to any other Team, or saying that they will beat any other Team, I'm simply saying that this team has done well to sign good players, thus giving them the luxury of being able to select the best possible roster and/or adjust to the opponents style of play. You have to like the options available to John Limniaitis.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

I'm not comparing the Impact to any other Team, or saying that they will beat any other Team, I'm simply saying that this team has done well to sign good players, thus giving them the luxury of being able to select the best possible roster and/or adjust to the opponents style of play. You have to like the options available to John Limniaitis.

Their depth will come in handy especially for the Voyageurs cup games..They will be able to sit some of the starters ( Sebrango,Grande, Di lorenzo ect.) for some league games and keep them fresh for the V-cup..

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

Their depth will come in handy especially for the Voyageurs cup games..They will be able to sit some of the starters ( Sebrango,Grande, Di lorenzo ect.) for some league games and keep them fresh for the V-cup..

Something they couldn't afford to do last season when they had to play their regulars in every USL game to get out of last place and make the playoffs... And they still managed to win the V's cup. [:P]

Mpenza my memory is different than you. I remember Limniatis resting players for games quite often and using a rotation of players all through the second half of last season. The starting 11 was always changing. When there were two games in a period of a few days only 2 or 3 players would be starters in both games. Once Sandro Grande and Brillant joined the Impact in 2008 there was considerable team depth.

quote:Originally posted by Lorne

Mpenza my memory is different than you. I remember Limniatis resting players for games quite often and using a rotation of players all through the second half of last season. The starting 11 was always changing. When there were two games in a period of a few days only 2 or 3 players would be starters in both games. Once Sandro Grande and Brillant joined the Impact in 2008 there was considerable team depth.

That was in the 2nd half of the season as you mentionned..The Impact's 3 first V-cup games out of the 4 they played where in May and June (the first half when they were near the bottom of the USL table)...

• 1 month later...

From the Impact website reports...Limniatis is looking to unsettle the Mexicans by playing an agressive style. And we know that Pesoli (knee surgery) and Biello (broken collarbone on Wednesday) now are not fit. So maybe...

-----------------------Matt Jordan-----------------------------------

Adam Braz----Nevio Pizzolitto----Joqueviel----de Roux

--------------Roberto Brown----Edouardo Sebrango-----------------

with Donatelli, Placentino, Byers, Brillant, Suprenant... all possible substitutions.

Gatti (thigh) and Leduc (foot) both dont seem to be fully fit.

Archived