GOLTV reporting Morace to succeed Pellerud!

Mobiiiiiiiilio

La Morace is Falling! La Morace is Falling!! La Morace is Falling!!!

Written by Bill Ault

Friday, 30 January 2009

Perhaps one of the worst kept secrets in Canadian Soccer history is about to be proven true in the next week... or so... maybe.

The unannounced impending arrival of Carolina Morace has been going on at least since early December and has been reiterated several times since and in fact has been rumoured since the Italian came over in the summer of 2007 to do some camps in the Toronto area.

For more: www.canadakicks.com

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Morace possibly most famous as the first female coach of a professional men's team in Italy (she lasted just two games due to the intense media pressure)"

what? she coached Viterbese for two SEASONS not two games...which is not exactly the same!

She followed that up with a stint as women's coach from 2000-2005.

Ghedin aims to restore Azzurre acclaim

Wednesday 28 January 2009

"Only once prior to the 2001 UEFA European Women's Championship did Italy fail to make the last four, reaching the 1993 and 1997 finals[!]. But since then there have been two group-stage exits and in 2005 in England three defeats and 12 conceded goals prompted Carolina Morace's exit as coach, replaced by assistant Ghedin."

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/woco/news/kind=1/newsid=794346.html

I believe the past three years have been in the press booth. A big part of coaching is energy and personality, and she is loaded with both. It will be interesting to see her approach and what she has come up with after three years of retrospective and perspective.

Regardless, good news if your last name is Cicchini, Iachelli, Panozzo, Afonso...

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

La Morace is Falling! La Morace is Falling!! La Morace is Falling!!!

Written by Bill Ault

Friday, 30 January 2009

Perhaps one of the worst kept secrets in Canadian Soccer history is about to be proven true in the next week... or so... maybe.

The unannounced impending arrival of Carolina Morace has been going on at least since early December and has been reiterated several times since and in fact has been rumoured since the Italian came over in the summer of 2007 to do some camps in the Toronto area.

For more: www.canadakicks.com

You certainly got some very good inside information Bill...

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Regardless, good news if your last name is Cicchini, Iachelli, Panozzo, Afonso...

It was about time! I was tired of the Smiths, Williams, McDonald, McPerson, it was for a long time a Mac Attaaaaaack :D

^ if you were a betting man Soccer9 what you think?

Bill, I was going to say "no way" in Canada would we be able to hire a WNT Coach that brings her own coaching staff. $$

I guess based on your article, your sources say otherwise...:)

From what you are saying Bill, this might be the Rene Simoes fiasco all over again.

That would be a sad, pathetic, petty, AMATEURISH shame.

I hope they can make it happen. I suspect that there will be a major backlash if they dont

but the update today says the deal may be falling apart because the CSA is unwilling to give up control... the more things change the more they stay the same.

I just wish that once and for all these CSA people realize that it should not be about them having "control" it should be about what is good for our national programs.

It's time for Canadian soccer to be run by professionals and not by the amateurs that want to have control.

Unwilling to give up control, or a demand for too much? Pretty hard to tell without knowing the positions. And we just came out of a complete mess caused by one guy having too much control. If that is the case it's not too hard to understand being gun shy.

There are a lot of great names in the women's game I would say turn the house over too. Neid, Powell, Sundhage, Sermani, etc. But there is a significant difference between Morace and them, namely she hasn't delivered a positive season in a decade, or for that matter ever in the women's game. And if she's asking for that to translate into the keys to Rome I'm not surprised there's pushback.

If Hart is controlling all this I have faith in his judgment whatever the outcome. But if he has given it the green light and it's the board pushing back like Simoes, then that's another matter entirely.

^ Is is too much to ask for your own staff?

Capello got that at England. I'm not saying Morace is Capello but you get my drift.

In any sport, a coach needs to work with people they are comfortable with. That is basic logic and it applies to all sports.

To have your staff imposed upon you is an unworkable situation, especially for a coach that comes from outside the country.

but the update today says the deal may be falling apart because the CSA is unwilling to give up control... the more things change the more they stay the same.

Control to do what? they don't even have the guts to fire Mitchel, and never fired Pellerud. To me the CSA does not exist as an organization, it is just a bunch of provincial reps that meet and call themselves CSA. Then to make matters worse they try to run national programs the way it most favors their province. Disgusting group indeed!

quote:Originally posted by Soccer9

Does not sound good. I hope they work things out quickly. Any rumours on what their Plan B was? Not that I wish for that, as I was pretty excited on Morace being here...

Plan B, probably is to appoint Mitchell to head the women as well since he has done such a great job with the men.:D

Holger did ok. Not much of a precedent in the women's game for more than a helper. Sundhage has three American assistant coaches, and I doubt very much she would have got the job if she held out for more than Andersson as a sport science assistant. And she was quite smart, she waited and delivered results before talking to them about bringing in Hege Riise (who will be announced domestically sometime this week).

"Control to do what? they don't even have the guts to fire Mitchel, and never fired Pellerud."

Most boards like control for the sake of control, to feel they are in control, when really, in the case of the CSA, things are right out of control.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Holger did ok. Not much of a precedent in the women's game for more than a helper. Sundhage has three American assistant coaches, and I doubt very much she would have got the job if she held out for more than Andersson as a sport science assistant. And she was quite smart, she waited and delivered results before talking to them about bringing in Hege Riise (who will be announced domestically sometime this week).

I think you will find that Morace is looking for very much the same type of thing that Sunhage wanted and got.

The CSA operations are run by the members of the board of directors who are amateurs in the sports management field. First the board should comprise experienced executives who have proven themselves in the real world and who confine themselves to policy and direction (what a BoD should be all about). Second the CSA should be run on a day to day basis by a professional, fulltime, Chief Executive Officer accountable to the BoD, with a management committee comprising the heads of departments. Instead there is a general secretary who is little more than a lackey for the power mongering amateur/volunteer directors who insist on interfering in the day to day management of the organisation.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The CSA operations are run by the members of the board of directors who are amateurs in the sports management field. First the board should comprise experienced executives who have proven themselves in the real world and who confine themselves to policy and direction (what a BoD should be all about). Second the CSA should be run on a day to day basis by a professional, fulltime, Chief Executive Officer accountable to the BoD, with a management committee comprising the heads of departments. Instead there is a general secretary who is little more than a lackey for the power mongering amateur/volunteer directors who insist on interfering in the day to day management of the organisation.

Exactly* That is the structure with which I worked all my life. If I may add, current provincial associations should have no representation in the whole composition of the CSA.

Archived